Changing menus to Frog to open external links, subpages and sites

Graham Quince

• 2 months later...

Hi Graham, i understand it has been a long time since the posting of this tutorial, and it may no longer work under new releases of Frog but i would like to ask a few questions about it. 

First, is this planned to be a feature available without HTML coding, to be able to have the button disabled or diverted to another page?

And second, do you know of a way to make the change this causes replicate across the entire site, without needing a HTML widget with the code in on every page?

I can understand if this is no longer relevant but it seems like an important option to us.

Thanks, Dylan Baker.

• 1 month later...

@Graham Quince Is it expected behaviour that when moving off the front page containing the code that the link would stop working?

We have experienced this - the link works externally when looking at the front page however, when moving on to another page of the site the link simply takes you to the page of that menu item rather than the newly specified external link.

@Graham Quince Yes it's on our public website - the code is on the homepage but I've changed the link for the 'governors' page. If you click on another page of the site then try the governors link you are taken to the page itself rather than the external link. As a temporary fix I've just added the governors link to the page on the site too.

www.holmfirthhigh.co.uk

I've had a look and i think the problem might be linked to one of the other scripts running in the HTML widget.  I copied the code out and pasted it onto another page and it worked, there's still an error message on the bottom script tag which disappears when it is in a new widget.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've implemented this, but it doesn't seem to work on mobile devices. On a desktop clicking on the menu item works, even when browser is resized to a mobile size, but on an actual mobile device it takes you to the old page.  It's as though click events work, but touch events don't. Anybody else has this issue?

23 minutes ago, ssteadp said:

I've implemented this, but it doesn't seem to work on mobile devices. On a desktop clicking on the menu item works, even when browser is resized to a mobile size, but on an actual mobile device it takes you to the old page.  It's as though click events work, but touch events don't. Anybody else has this issue?

I've tried this as well as we have certain menu links to external sites.

It works but only if you tap the link 5 or 6 times...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-23 at 15:19, paulmitchell1989 said:

I've tried this as well as we have certain menu links to external sites.

It works but only if you tap the link 5 or 6 times...

Even multiple do not work for me.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Graham Quince said:

I'd hang on about a week, @Simon Law has written a FrogCode widget which does this.

@adamw - haven't seen you around, but can you look into approving this please.

Come on @adamw pull your finger out!!!  Chris Smith would have had this done in a crack...  :P