Safe mode no longer works?

pconkie

Question

I have a site where i have written some html in a html widget.  Unfortunately the code is producing an error which, after showing me a message, automatically closes the site.  I thought that opening a site in safe mode would allow me to go to the editor and remove the offending widget (or alter the code).  However it does not.  Is my only option now to delete the site and start again?

15 answers to this question

I had something similar, I found using an iPad I was able to get into the Page Editor quickly, by mashing the Edit button, before the site loaded fully (couldn't get in quick enough on PC). If you can get into the editor fast enough the html code won't run and you can make your amendments to fix the issue. It does take some attempts though, keep refreshing and hit Edit quickly.

I've also seen an issue where a widget 'errors' and going into the Page Editor to remove it then won't allow saving of the amendments. The page is in limbo.

For me, Nested Pages is a must when putting in anything complex, much easier to resolve issues when separated away from the affected site. I have a dedicated site for nested pages components and can correct issues there, causing little impact elsewhere on the platform. If you do have to bin a nested page, then at least it's not a whole site, just a page.

Just sharing my rookie mistakes, if it's helpful to anyone, I'm learning from them though. :P

Ive noticed a lot changes not being able to be saved!!!  I think sometimes it depends how many pages/widgets you've changed before trying to save!!  It has a bit of a tantrum if you ask it to do too much at once!!

@pconkie I have done some digging and found this:

/app/os?safemode (not /app/os#?safemode) will plunge your whole frogos platform into safe mode

Holding the Ctrl button whilst clicking on a link to a site will plunge that site into safe mode

And if you can edit HTML widgets, then within FrogDrive, select the site you need, go to the action cog and choose 'Open in Safe Mode', this will open that site in safe mode.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Simon Law said:

@pconkie I have done some digging and found this:

/app/os?safemode (not /app/os#?safemode) will plunge your whole frogos platform into safe mode

Holding the Ctrl button whilst clicking on a link to a site will plunge that site into safe mode

And if you can edit HTML widgets, then within FrogDrive, select the site you need, go to the action cog and choose 'Open in Safe Mode', this will open that site in safe mode.

This is the work of the Dark Arts...

Sorry I haven't had chance to raise a ticket for this yet.  Thanks @Simon Law for the suggestions, but despite these site still opens, displays an error message (illegal module name) and then closes.  I can see that the widgets are disabled but the error is still thrown and the site closes before i can hit the edit handle.

I believe the error is due to the way steal.js was updated in the last release.  I need to change steal(whatever-url),then() to steal.import(whatever-url).then() but can't access edit mode to make the change....

Capture.PNG.b602cc314540a75323e2d4b111742e85.PNG

2 minutes ago, pconkie said:

Sorry I haven't had chance to raise a ticket for this yet.  Thanks @Simon Law for the suggestions, but despite these site still opens, displays an error message (illegal module name) and then closes.  I can see that the widgets are disabled but the error is still thrown and the site closes before i can hit the edit handle.

I believe the error is due to the way steal.js was updated in the last release.  I need to change steal(whatever-url),then() to steal.import(whatever-url).then() but can't access edit mode to make the change....

Capture.PNG.b602cc314540a75323e2d4b111742e85.PNG

Would you like me to dive in, make it safe, so you can fix it? 

Yes please! Its a test site with loads of bits of code on it that I have mainly come across on this forum so don't really want to loose it all.

the site is called "current user object" created by user A Conkie.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, pconkie said:

Yes please! Its a test site with loads of bits of code on it that I have mainly come across on this forum so don't really want to loose it all.

the site is called "current user object" created by user A Conkie.

Thanks.

Ok, going in, I love a challenge on a Friday morning

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Simon Law said:

Ok, going in, I love a challenge on a Friday morning

widget = this;
            var AppName = "pollingApp";
            steal('https://www.gstatic.com/firebasejs/4.1.5/firebase.js').then(function() {

The widget is 496C3CA82001BFDD097B8FD1AC86880BDC0FD0BCE69A2362

The best course of action is going to be to go through to the FrogCode editor, edit the widget, publish the widget again and you will be able to use it in the site again. Going to the site will only bring back the broken widget, you have to fix it at source

To retrieve your hard earned code, open developers tools before you open the site and put 'packages' into the file filter

then open the site

you can retrieve the code as per screenshot

image.png.04ce2f9eab7cd0681664967b7f81f2a5.png

• Thanks 2