Individual PDFs

gbligh

2 hours ago, gbligh said:

Hi all,

Here is my question ... I have a PDF file for every Year 10 student. Was is the best way to distribute this through Frog without anyone seeing eachothers? 

Depends on where these PDF files live, and how secure you want it to be? What happens if you ever need to update / change / remove this file?  If they're on your network then my suggestion:

- Create a folder on one of your network drives, inside this folder, create a new folder for each student. Set the permissions on each folder so that only that student can have access to it.

- In frog, create a site with a network files widget and point it at the above folder

- Share this site to all students

Students now will be able to see that folder, but only access their own. Not sure if you can do clever network stuff to hide folders from people who don't have access to them?

Option 2, you could use frog, upload all the PDF's to your admin account and then use - 'Send copy to' to send a copy of the file to each student.

Option 3, as option 1, but create the folders in Frog.

Option 4., if the PDF's are named with something that identified the student, such as their UPN, create a widget that builds a URL to the file that lives on your network. You';d still have to sort the permissions out, to stop someone from changing the URL and getting access to other peoples files.

Option 5, Linked documents in SIMS + linked document widget in Frog?  Not sure if SIMS allows you to upload a  PDF and we've never tried importing them manually, so that's a bit of a guess.

48 minutes ago, ADT said:

Well in Frog 3.......

Frog 3 was awesome, but FrogLearn is more accessible. It's a balancing act, and we're working hard on making it easy for staff to quickly create things to improve teaching and learning, whilst still giving the advanced users something to get their teeth into. FrogCode helps with this quite a bit.

5 minutes ago, adamw said:

Frog 3 was awesome, but FrogLearn is more accessible. It's a balancing act, and we're working hard on making it easy for staff to quickly create things to improve teaching and learning, whilst still giving the advanced users something to get their teeth into. FrogCode helps with this quite a bit.

Don't get me wrong Adam....  I see all the nice things that Froglearn can do........  but sometimes I miss the flexibility of Frog 3!!! :D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ADT said:

Don't get me wrong Adam....  I see all the nice things that Froglearn can do........  but sometimes I miss the flexibility of Frog 3!!! :D

How would you have done this differently to option 1 in Frog3?

Option 2 gets my vote for the easiest distribution method I reckon

Stick a folder on Frogweb... in there put each pdf named with the kids UPN...  add a link on Frog which automatically fills the kids UPN!!!

Might be missing something... but this was something Ed came up with when we were thinking of getting PEP instead of insight... a way to give kids there exam timetables!!!  

On 27/05/2018 at 18:46, ADT said:

Stick a folder on Frogweb... in there put each pdf named with the kids UPN...  add a link on Frog which automatically fills the kids UPN!!!

Might be missing something... but this was something Ed came up with when we were thinking of getting PEP instead of insight... a way to give kids there exam timetables!!!  

You could do something similar here by placing the file on a network drive that the student has access to and by creating a simple FrogCode widget. This depends on how secure you would want this to be - for example, putting the files on frogweb would allow anyone access to those documents. So another student could access a PDF that was not meant for them, if they figure out another students UPN number.

Putting it on a network drive would have the advantage of being able to use normal AD permissions to prevent unauthorized access. Of course, if these documents are in no way confidential, then the Frog3 solution would be ideal :)

@gbligh if we had a bit more information on the nature of these documents we may be able to come up with a solution between us all ;)

We have created a feedback generator in Excel for Maths students. It tells them how well they are doing in each topic. It then get's made into a PDF for each student. See one attached for an example.

If I was to go to the 'Send copy to' option, where would that appear?

Thanks guys

Example.pdf

8 hours ago, gbligh said:

We have created a feedback generator in Excel for Maths students. It tells them how well they are doing in each topic. It then get's made into a PDF for each student. See one attached for an example.

If I was to go to the 'Send copy to' option, where would that appear?

Thanks guys

Example.pdf

Send a copy to would send the students a notification, it would appear on their timeline and in their Frog Documents.  Alternatively, you could use the ePortfolio system to create a site for each student and then have a place for multiple documents - should you wish to add more later.  You can still use send a copy to but send it to their site instead of the person.

Both these options are nice and secure, if a little time consuming.

Since @ADT mentioned HTML and not being concerned about security as much, then the easiest option would be to adapt the File Drop tutorial. 

https://www.frogeducation.com/community/tutorials/html-tutorials/file-drop

Upload all the files to the file drop on one page.   Hide this page from the menu, then on a second page, add the HTML code to read the contents of the file drop, but only display the file which matches the student's upn.

If i get time today, are you free to work through this with me?