Assignments - Overview of Student Engagement

S Marcham

I have been asked if it is possible to get an overview of a whole year or by subject to see which students are not engaging/opening with their set work on assignments?

I know an individual class teacher can open a set assignment and see which students have  opened it or not – but is there a way for example, for the head of year to see an overview of who hasn’t opened their assignment for a particular year/subject? Or is there a way I can run a report on this?

Thank you

19 hours ago, S Marcham said:

I have been asked if it is possible to get an overview of a whole year or by subject to see which students are not engaging/opening with their set work on assignments?

I know an individual class teacher can open a set assignment and see which students have  opened it or not – but is there a way for example, for the head of year to see an overview of who hasn’t opened their assignment for a particular year/subject? Or is there a way I can run a report on this?

Thank you

I was asked a similar question...  HOD Science has set a full year group a task... although she can see how many have done it enough she wanted to know if there was an easy way to see who hadn’t even looked at it...  without manually checking 350+ kids!!  

Sorry but no was my response!!

1 minute ago, ADT said:

I was asked a similar question...  HOD Science has set a full year group a task... although she can see how many have done it enough she wanted to know if there was an easy way to see who hadn’t even looked at it...  without manually checking 350+ kids!!  

Sorry but no was my response!!

Okay, thanks for this reply. Can I just check how she knows how many have done it - is that by just checking  the who has 'handed it in' ? in reports or in her markbook, thanks

Each assignment has a hand-in count for teachers. This appears both on the assignment menu and the markbook.  This example indicates that there are 10 assignments from students waiting to be marked, that is to say 10 students have handed-in work that the teacher has not marked yet.

markbook lozenge.JPGassignment column.JPG

The green tick shows that the work has been handed-in but not marked

The black eye icon shows the student has not opened the homework

not opened.JPG

Regarding generating a report to see unopened homeworks, i'm struggling a little with the concept.  i'm not sure how useful that would be.  If children are not logging into Frog at all, then these are the ones who are not engaged.  The analytics app can show you this and let you search for individuals.  Students not handing in work is the equivalent of not physically handing in work in class and we can use the Reporting app to show you who those students are.  So running a report on who has opened an individual homework seems a little redundant.

Having said that, we do have that information, otherwise it wouldn't show up in the markbook column - so if anyone feels like tackling the APIs...

3 hours ago, S Marcham said:

Thanks Graham, I understand what you are saying, I will relay this back to the teachers. I'm not sure why they want to know who has or hasn't opened the assignments but this information might be enough anyway - thanks

Wanting to know who had / hadn't opened an assignment was a very requested feature (which is why we added it ? ) - I guess there's a difference between someone opening the work and not doing it, and someone who simply doesn't bother to even log in. I imagine it's the same as having a child in the class that just sits at the back with their arms folded, doing nothing, vs not showing up to class at all.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, adamw said:

Wanting to know who had / hadn't opened an assignment was a very requested feature (which is why we added it ? ) - I guess there's a difference between someone opening the work and not doing it, and someone who simply doesn't bother to even log in. I imagine it's the same as having a child in the class that just sits at the back with their arms folded, doing nothing, vs not showing up to class at all.

Ha ha, yep,good analogy!

On 22/04/2020 at 16:19, adamw said:

Ive just been asked by another HOD...  at the moment they want to know how many kids are actually engaging with the work that is being set....  granted we can see how many have handed it in.... or have just hit hand in to get it off there lists....  but they are wanting to know how many havent even bothered to open the work at all!!

Its something i think our Head is interesting in knowing as well!!

So if anyone fancies putting down their playstation controller and playing with the API!!! ?

@Graham Quince

42 minutes ago, ADT said:

Ive just been asked by another HOD...  at the moment they want to know how many kids are actually engaging with the work that is being set....  granted we can see how many have handed it in.... or have just hit hand in to get it off there lists....  but they are wanting to know how many havent even bothered to open the work at all!!

Its something i think our Head is interesting in knowing as well!!

So if anyone fancies putting down their playstation controller and playing with the API!!! ?

@Graham Quince

Isn't this something the HOD can get from the markbook?

markbook.PNG

52 minutes ago, adamw said:

Isn't this something the HOD can get from the markbook?

markbook.PNG

By manually counting... yep!!!  But what we have done is have one person setting core work for a subject...  so say 370+ Yr 9's get an IT assignment set by this "gate keeper" !! Obviously through Markbooks we can mark our own class etc!!  But they are keen to find out how many of the 370+ kids have actually opened the assigment to check engagement...  without having ot look down the list and manually count!!

@Graham Quince recons the data is there it just needs some cleaver person to make something to show it!! ?

5 minutes ago, ADT said:

By manually counting... yep!!!  But what we have done is have one person setting core work for a subject...  so say 370+ Yr 9's get an IT assignment set by this "gate keeper" !! Obviously through Markbooks we can mark our own class etc!!  But they are keen to find out how many of the 370+ kids have actually opened the assigment to check engagement...  without having ot look down the list and manually count!!

@Graham Quince recons the data is there it just needs some cleaver person to make something to show it!! ?

ah, I see!

Perhaps some kind of filter, to filter out those that have/haven't opened the assignment (along with a count for each one) would be helpful? Something to suggest for future improvements I guess.

Regarding the data being available, it will be somewhere - I'll have a look at how we bring that back.

• Thanks 1

Just now, adamw said:

ah, I see!

Perhaps some kind of filter, to filter out those that have/haven't opened the assignment (along with a count for each one) would be helpful? Something to suggest for future improvements I guess.

Regarding the data being available, it will be somewhere - I'll have a look at how we bring that back.

See i think the idea of an assigment overview would be useful...  some thing that collates these kind of things....

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 15.48.12.png

and shows them here...

Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 15.48.25.png

Maybe.....

8 hours ago, ADT said:

Okay, so I've put together a quick widget that might help out here. The assignment Engagement widget:

It works off of the markbooks you have created in the system, and thus, shows only the markbooks you have access to see - which for most staff is probably all of them anyway.

The first step is to select a "tag" - this will be in the drop down list at the top and will be basically things like "Year 2", "Year 4", "Reception" etc... Note that only tags that are used in markbooks show here.

When you've selected a tag you get all the markbooks for that tag (for this academic year) below.

Clicking on a markbook lists all the assignments in that markbook and the "Viewed" and "Unviewed" count.

Clicking details will show you the display names of the users for each category.

I'll give the widget to @Graham Quince on Monday, so if anyone wants it, please let him know.

MASSIVE DISCLAIMER:

I've only tested this on a very limited number of fake things I've created in my test environment, and I have no idea how well it will work on an actual production server. It's possible that it'll just melt, or die or have some otherwise previously unseen bugs - so don't plan to depend on it until you've tested it for yourself.

There will probably be bugs, and I'll try and fix them as we find them (or just throw it at Quincy and run away ? )

Now, if you don't mind, I have a large bottle of black spiced rum that isn't going to drink itself.

ae1.PNGae2.PNG

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, adamw said:

Okay, so I've put together a quick widget that might help out here. The assignment Engagement widget:

It works off of the markbooks you have created in the system, and thus, shows only the markbooks you have access to see - which for most staff is probably all of them anyway.

The first step is to select a "tag" - this will be in the drop down list at the top and will be basically things like "Year 2", "Year 4", "Reception" etc... Note that only tags that are used in markbooks show here.

When you've selected a tag you get all the markbooks for that tag (for this academic year) below.

Clicking on a markbook lists all the assignments in that markbook and the "Viewed" and "Unviewed" count.

Clicking details will show you the display names of the users for each category.

I'll give the widget to @Graham Quince on Monday, so if anyone wants it, please let him know.

MASSIVE DISCLAIMER:

I've only tested this on a very limited number of fake things I've created in my test environment, and I have no idea how well it will work on an actual production server. It's possible that it'll just melt, or die or have some otherwise previously unseen bugs - so don't plan to depend on it until you've tested it for yourself.

There will probably be bugs, and I'll try and fix them as we find them (or just throw it at Quincy and run away ? )

Now, if you don't mind, I have a large bottle of black spiced rum that isn't going to drink itself.

ae1.PNGae2.PNG

Well once @Graham Quince has passed it on I’ll give it a wurl!!!

you enjoy that spiced rum....  you deserve it!!!  ?

5 minutes ago, Graham Quince said:

Wow - Well done @adamw

Here's a direct link: https://bit.ly/2xR6dJL

It needs testing in a real school and prettying up, so there's no page for it on the community at the moment, but feel free to try out.

@adamw is probably still at the bottom of the spiced rum bottle!!!!  We’ll test it and get back to you!!  ?

On 25/04/2020 at 00:01, adamw said:

MASSIVE DISCLAIMER:

ae1.PNGae2.PNG

OK so it kind of works...  Where is it pulling the classes from???  Should it show all classes...  or just those that has been set work by that teacher??

1 minute ago, ADT said:

OK so it kind of works...  Where is it pulling the classes from???  Should it show all classes...  or just those that has been set work by that teacher??

By the way if you want to... look at my personal "Staff" dashboard on our platform!!  

@adamw @Graham Quince

11 minutes ago, ADT said:

From any markbooks the teacher has set up (or has marked as favourite) - let me check the code

• Thanks 1

Yup - so the code is this:

1. Get the current academic year

2. Get all markbooks that the current user has access for this academic year

3. Get all the tags (i.e. group names / year groups etc) from those markbooks and put them in a nice drop down at the top

4. After selecting a tag, show all markbooks for that tag

5. After selecting a markbook -draw the table

Edit: So your HOD could create a new markbook that encompasses the data they want to see and it should show in the widget as something they can select.

1 minute ago, adamw said:

Yup - so the code is this:

1. Get the current academic year

2. Get all markbooks that the current user has access for this academic year

3. Get all the tags (i.e. group names / year groups etc) from those markbooks and put them in a nice drop down at the top

4. After selecting a tag, show all markbooks for that tag

5. After selecting a markbook -draw the table

So i logged in a my staff account...  chose Year 9....  and got this...  The ICT i get....  the other stuff i dont??

Screen Shot 2020-04-27 at 10.50.18.png