Populate email field with parents home email address

clangstaff

Dickens has brought the ability for users to reset their own passwords if they are not AD linked. This would be great for parents except..... Frog only pulls the email field from Frog3 to FrogLearn not the 'Home Email' field that is populated with parent email addresses from SIMS.

To get parent emails in to FrogLearn is currently a manual job and unless this is done the forgot password option is useless to them and just causing confusion.

I would like Frog to pull across the Home Email field for parent accounts if no email address exists in the email field.

Ideas Portal link:

https://ideas.frogcommunity.com/ideas/FRG-I-1143

3 hours ago, clangstaff said:

Dickens has brought the ability for users to reset their own passwords if they are not AD linked. This would be great for parents except..... Frog only pulls the email field from Frog3 to FrogLearn not the 'Home Email' field that is populated with parent email addresses from SIMS.

To get parent emails in to FrogLearn is currently a manual job and unless this is done the forgot password option is useless to them and just causing confusion.

I would like Frog to pull across the Home Email field for parent accounts if no email address exists in the email field.

Ideas Portal link:

https://ideas.frogcommunity.com/ideas/FRG-I-1143

You are taking the p*%$£... pardon my French!! So they give with one hand and take away with the other..............  By the way you can do password reminders in Frog 3....  and you could choose home email field!!!!  Doh!!!!!

Sort it out lads....  this is just embarrassing......

@Edd @Graham Quince

Hi,

The Forgot Password functionality available in FrogLearn is not usable by Frog 3/FrogLearn schools as initially described. Instead (as with one or two pieces of functionality) you must use the Frog 3 method of resetting passwords instead.

Another school has raised a query whereby it is allowing Frog3/Learn parents to use this feature. A cron runs every 60 minutes or so overwriting data in Learn from Frog 3, ensuring accounts are synced, therefore this undoes the password change. It is currently being addressed to remove this functionality from Frog3/Learn parents (as initially intended) so they will receive a message informing them they cannot reset their password in this way.

You can however use the Frog 3 method of resetting user passwords.

Please remember Frog 3 has 3 email fields (email, home email and work email), whereas FrogLearn currently has one (email). I'm currently performing some testing to double check which email address is used for FrogLearn only schools (imported) but at a guess I believe it's Home Email field (don't hold me to that, hence the checking!)

Thanks,

Edd

17 hours ago, Edd said:

Please remember Frog 3 has 3 email fields (email, home email and work email), whereas FrogLearn currently has one (email). I'm currently performing some testing to double check which email address is used for FrogLearn only schools (imported) but at a guess I believe it's Home Email field (don't hold me to that, hence the checking!)

Morning, I've asked around and believe it to the Home Email field FrogLearn imports directly from an MIS. As mentioned F3/Learn schools have the "general" email field synced over.

Thanks,

Edd

8 minutes ago, Edd said:

Morning, I've asked around and believe it to the Home Email field FrogLearn imports directly from an MIS. As mentioned F3/Learn schools have the "general" email field synced over.

Thanks,

Edd

Come on Edd...  we've talked about this...  you need to asset yourself more...  be more confident....  It either is or isn't the Home Email field.....  not "I believe"!!! :P

12 minutes ago, ADT said:

Come on Edd...  we've talked about this...  you need to asset yourself more...  be more confident....  It either is or isn't the Home Email field.....  not "I believe"!!! :P

Bad habit, always hesitant unless I see it with my own eyes ;) It IS the Home email field imported into FrogLearn.

@Edd Thanks for clarifying though I've got to say either we weren't told about these limitations or they weren't made clear enough with the release. As such I've tested this on a parents account successfully, reset the password and proceeded to tell all parents they can reset their passwords for Frog..... only to now be told that anyone who's reset their password will not have reset their password.

Will it revert to their original password or is it going to set them a new one?

Again this is a classic example of frog launching something that doesn't take in to consideration a large amount of customers (Frog3/Learn) users. We've got a forgot password area that doesn't work for any users which we now receive daily emails from parents about. If it doesn't work for us we don't want it on our platform.

@clangstaff The password should revert to the Frog 3 password, it will not be an entirely new one. Apologies I thought this was mentioned in the webinars but possibly not. I agree, and have echoed your statements to the powers that be here at Frog. I know the ability for users on a  F3/Learn server has been looked at already since the Dickens release and something has been added to the code to prevent parents using this feature and it's being looked into whether it's possible to remove the button entirely.

Apologies again, for the problems caused by this feature.

• 1 month later...

@clangstaff If you become FrogLearn only this functionality for self-service resetting manual accounts passwords would work yes.

In regards to the broader question you're best making a list of what's actually used in Frog 3 to double check this functionality (if required) is possible/similar within FrogLearn. For most schools there's everything that's needed to move over but there may be one or 2 bits and pieces you have not thought about (e.g. Room Controls is in Frog 3 and not in Learn but few schools used it in 3). Moving to Learn only gives you extra options in the Users application (importing via CSV etc) and the Timetable widget. You would of course need to use the System Preferences area in order to setup your  user account information upon import (usernames) along with network drives if not already done. Hope this helps!

@Edd Thanks for the prompt response. Just to clarify our parent accounts are pulled in from SIMS but obviously are not linked to the AD for passwords. Would these parent accounts be able to reset their password or do the account literally have to be created from a csv or one at a time to benefit from password reset?

I've already worked on a list of what we use Frog3 for and to be honest the only thing we'd miss is scorm packages however, in order to progress I think we'd be willing to give these up.

Just now, clangstaff said:

@Edd Thanks for the prompt response. Just to clarify our parent accounts are pulled in from SIMS but obviously are not linked to the AD for passwords. Would these parent accounts be able to reset their password or do the account literally have to be created from a csv or one at a time to benefit from password reset?

I've already worked on a list of what we use Frog3 for and to be honest the only thing we'd miss is scorm packages however, in order to progress I think we'd be willing to give these up.

Your parent users will be classed as "manual" accounts so yes, providing your email address in your MIS is correct, upon an MIS import this will populate Frog with the home email field. when I say manual accounts, I mean the authentication type is set to "Frog" (so not AD, ADFS, google auth etc etc). It's fine the users come from SIMS.

It sounds as if you're at the point of being able to move over soon :)