SSL Certificate

S Marcham

Hello, I will need to renew our SSL certificate soon, I could just do this with DigiCert as this is where Frog recommended to get the certificate from. However looking around I can see that I can get a SSL certificate a lot cheaper from other providers. I don’t know much about these SSL certificates and was wondering what providers others have used? I think we only need a standard single name certificate any advice/ recommendations gratefully received, thank you.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 13:31, S Marcham said:

Thanks for all the information, I'm thinking about just renewing what we have.

Did you get this renewed??  Ours was up for renewal so I contacted our current supplier and was quoted for a Geotrust True Business ID Mutildomain SSL (we have three domains) for 3 years it was £553...  then I contacted our managed service...  they said £35 for all three domains for three years!!!

That's right £35 from JANET ( don't worry she's not some dodgy women who pops into pubs selling SSLs...  well not that I know of!!!)

A £518 saving...

Obviously I was a bit dubious...  how come this Janet lass can do it for £35... basically I'm being told it will give us the same level of protection as what we have and as...

"JANET are the no profit organisation that looks after domains and SSL for the UK, it used to be a US company until last year.  As we are a non profit organisation we get a massive discount from JANET, essentially cost price.  Anything above £35 is profit."

https://www.jisc.ac.uk/certificate-service

Unless someone know of a reason not to...  we are going to save the money and go with a SSL from JANET!!!

• Like 1

Well our new certificate has been installed......

All checks our with SSL Labs...  for £35 for three years....  not a bad bit of business if I do say so myself!!

SSL.fw.png

Edited by ADT
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@ADT I've just seen this post - wow, that's great, I also like the sound of this JANET lass! I am due to renew soon, so will look at this now.

I don't know much about these ssl certificate, all I know is we needed one in order to protect the data of the reports being pulled from SIMS to our parent portal. I was thinking of just renewing as its the easy option (don't have to change anything), but not if I can get one loads cheaper. For the parent portal - does it matter what type of certificate we get or where from? And then I guess, if I get a new one I just copy the code of the certificate and send it to frog?

Also as we are part of a Trust now, is this certificate something we can get and share? Or, now I'm thinking about it, they just work with which ever domain name you buy it for? So you could buy for all domain names in the trust? Not sure if it would save much money etc....just wondered, might be easier to just buy our own?

Anyway, thanks for the links, I'm looking now

@ADT Hi, Me again, did you get a Organisation validated (OV): Medium assurance certificate? for £35 for 1 year, up to 40 domains? Would this be suitable for our frog parent portal? And could it be used for others schools in the trust with their own domain names?

And did you have to fill in their Word application form and agree to all their T&C's etc?

Sorry for all the questions, I wish I knew a bit more about these!

Edited by S Marcham

@S Marcham

Morning I have to admit I didn't have to much to do with it!!  Our managed service already deal with JANET (the tart that she is) so they did all the buying!!  I think how it works is you buy credits and use them to get your certificates... so where you saw for 1 for £35 that's a credit...  not sure where the length of term comes in!!

Yep id assume we have a Organisation validated (OV): Medium assurance  this would have let us add SANs so we can have multiple domains on the one certificate... Currently we have three domains on this certificate!!! 

I wouldn't see an issue in you using the same certificate across your Trust...  which to me would be a massive saving to what you currently are paying!!

As for the T&C's our managed service are mad over the top with security and regularly throw around the comment "£100,000 fines for breach of data"... so if they have signed it got to secure!!!

But I wouldn't take just my word for it... id look more into it!!!

;)

• Like 1

@ADT Ha ha, don't think JANET would like that reputation, but she is, we may deal with her too! I wish we had a managed service to sort this out, who are these 'managed service' people? I worry about these things (I don't know much about) and the process all looks a bit daunting for me, I'm sure its fine if you're used to doing these things, ah well, whats the worst that can happen......thanks again

We looked at this when in need of an SSL last week and were informed the only way to purchase and SSL from JANET is to do so via your local authority. I contacted the local authority to no avail so ended up buying one from 123-reg as we were under tight time constraints.

So potentially very good if you're not a school within Kirklees!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...