Student Fields - Are they used?

pdurber

Question

9 answers to this question

3 hours ago, pdurber said:

When I export the student user data, the "MIS Username" field is unused and also "Location" field.

Can I use these fields for my own information, ie. storing login codes for an online options portal?

Hi @pdurber

Location is a type of group, so it's safe to assume that if this is not populated in the MIS currently, (provided you don't start using it in the MIS), you should be able to add your own data to it.  I'd suggest testing it first though (i.e. make a change to a few students, run an MIS import via System Preferences and see if that change remains).  The benefit of this being a group is that you can use various API calls to display the data

Example:

Frog.Model.api('groups.getFor', {
                identity: child.uuid,
                group_type: "location"
  }).done(function(groupResponse) {  
  // do something

});

Groups are separated with the export by the | symbol and you'll use a CSV to import them, so that rules out '|' and ',' to add additional variables, but there's nothing stopping you using a different character to separate your data.  This would be more secure than the tutorial I posted which uses an HTML to store all information.  To view student details another student would need to know their classmate's Frog UUID - which is highly unlikely.

Of course, the groups would have to be created first - and unique for each student. - 

MIS Username - I'm not sure - this might be in use and would be overwritten by the MIS if it came into use.

I'd be happy to work with you on this - we might get something other schools could use.

Edited by Graham Quince
Forgot about groups needing to be created first.

@Graham Quince Thank you.

I populated the MIS username field yesterday, and you are right they got overwritten with the MIS import.

Is there a way of telling the importer not to import that data field?

I guess if I import the codes into SiMs, then they would just pass through to Frog - problem solved.

Creating a location for each individual student's code looks like an awful lot of work.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Edited by pdurber

12 minutes ago, pdurber said:

@Graham Quince Thank you.

I populated the MIS username field yesterday, and you are right they got overwritten with the MIS import.

Is there a way of telling the importer not to import that data field?

I guess if I import the codes into SiMs, then they would just pass through to Frog - problem solved.

Creating a location for each individual student's code looks like an awful lot of work.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Is there a checkbox in the extractor for MIS Username? 

Just checking your product set up, you do have FrogParent - would it be possible to use an attainment aspect to pass the data over?  I'm asking as I don't know SIMS that well.  We can then either use the attainment table widget or HTML widget to get the personal information out.

1 minute ago, pdurber said:

I don't actually know how to check what is selected or not. Do you have any documentation?

I've had a look through the document and i don't think you can specify fields:

https://support.frogeducation.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/froglearn---sims-extractor-configuration

We might be left with either this tutorial:

or the FrogParent Attainment Table route

Having done a bit more investigation, the user import doesn't actually import into "MIS Username"  and SiMs doesn't have an equivalent field that we can find so we can't use that in SiMs to get it into Frog.

Any ideas? Can you (ie Frog) import into it?

10 minutes ago, pdurber said:

Having done a bit more investigation, the user import doesn't actually import into "MIS Username"  and SiMs doesn't have an equivalent field that we can find so we can't use that in SiMs to get it into Frog.

Any ideas? Can you (ie Frog) import into it?

Hi @pdurber

Are you getting an error message on the import?  If that's the case, then I've been looking around, but the only other options would be to use a comment field in an Attainment Aspect in FrogParent

@Graham Quince No, no error message. It just doesn't populate the field on import. 

Where does it supposedly go in the Frog databases?

How do I get it into the "Frog Parent Attainment table"? And then show it to the individual students?

Edited by pdurber