Sharing Files with Parents

ADT

5 minutes ago, ADT said:

I thought you couldn't share folders in FrogDrive with Parents??

You can! I only found out a few months ago that Parent profile appears as an option when you share a folder.

3 minutes ago, gbligh said:

You can! I only found out a few months ago that Parent profile appears as an option when you share a folder.

I see it but it wont let me add them??? 

Updated:

Actually scratch that... just took ages!!  Must have something to do with the number of parent users.......

But problem solved!!

26 minutes ago, ADT said:

So i  have stuck some files in a folder...  shared it with parents.....  added an external link...  added

https://vlevm.ga.newcastle.sch.uk/app/file/asset/F90964E120030A331628BF06CD1D6C0DE39F919C8C93F281/

Works for me.... Not with my test parent account?

Any ideas?

When you say shared it - I assume you mean the folder is shared with parents.  Is the site also shared with parents?

Just now, pconkie said:

When you say shared it - I assume you mean the folder is shared with parents.  Is the site also shared with parents?

Folder.....

When you say site?  Ive added an external link to the dashboard!!  got the file from reference from frog dive...

3 minutes ago, ADT said:

Folder.....

When you say site?  Ive added an external link to the dashboard!!  got the file from reference from frog dive...

I don't think you can do that! Well clearly it hasn't worked, but....

if you add the folder on a blank site and use the site link or the site widget to put in on the dashboard then it should work.

Alternatively I have a widget that works just like the good old web files brick in frog3 - upload whatever straight into it and whoever the site is shared with can view // contribute can add etc

Edited by pconkie

1 minute ago, pconkie said:

I don't think you can do that! Well clearly it hasn't worked but....

if you add the folder on a blank site and use the site link or the site widget to put in on the dashboard then it should work.

Alternatively I have a widget that works just like the good old web file brick in frog3 - uploaded whatever straight into it and whoever the site is shared with can view // contribute can add etc

Ah good old Frog 3..................

I only want to create a button that opens a PDF.............  from a shared folder......

2 minutes ago, pconkie said:

I don't think you can do that! Well clearly it hasn't worked, but....

Alternatively I have a widget that works just like the good old web files brick in frog3 - upload whatever straight into it and whoever the site is shared with can view // contribute can add etc

Can we get the Web Files widget!! :D@Graham Quince

23 minutes ago, ADT said:

Folder.....

I'm having problems following this, not quite got it in my head what you're trying to do. Which dashboard have you put this link ok? Parents dashboard? School dashboard?

14 minutes ago, adamw said:

I'm having problems following this, not quite got it in my head what you're trying to do. Which dashboard have you put this link ok? Parents dashboard? School dashboard?

OK so i created a folder in Frog Drive>Documents>School Documents>Parents>Thing.PDF

Shared the Folder Parents with Parents with view access!!

Then on the parent dashboard i added an external link widget and stuck in the link...

https://vlevm.ga.newcastle.sch.uk/app/file/asset/F90964E120030A331628BF06CD1D6C0DE39F919C8C93F281/

Does not work for parents but does for me!!

50 minutes ago, pconkie said:

I was going to add support for folders, but haven't yet. It's called multi-file upload widget Graham.

Ah wait a min another Conkie Special!! 9_9  I was think you were talking about FrogLearn Web thingy on the  Code Showcase!! 

7 minutes ago, Graham Quince said:

Just grabbed this.  Holy cow!  This is an amazing widget

Alright Robin... calm down!!! :P

O and once you've got yourself off the floor get Batman cough sorry @adamw to check it over and share!!  :D

1 hour ago, ADT said:

OK so i created a folder in Frog Drive>Documents>School Documents>Parents>Thing.PDF

Shared the Folder Parents with Parents with view access!!

Then on the parent dashboard i added an external link widget and stuck in the link...

Does not work for parents but does for me!!

Does your parent account have access to the shared folder?   if you add the shared folder widget to the same site, can they open the files?

3 minutes ago, Graham Quince said:

Does your parent account have access to the shared folder?   if you add the shared folder widget to the same site, can they open the files?

Yep but i didn't want to just show the folder i wanted to add a button to link to the file......

SAM Learning and FInal Countdown should link to PDF's........

image.png

OK, - fixed it

This is the actually URL for the PDF:

https://vlevm.ga.newcastle.sch.uk/app/file/resource/EDD0B3C520030544F8527FE100F58C0C776FBD0C917F540A.pdf

as opposed to:

https://vlevm.ga.newcastle.sch.uk/app/file/asset/F0C0C736200307AAEE73AFDE2287E2061B7A7DDC98075E2A/

I also noticed that even though you'd shared the folder with Parents, the little share icon didn't appear on the folder and i couldn't select it using the Shared Folder widget.  Best guess Parent sharing wasn't included at first and when added, was overlooked.  I'll report this to QA.

Quite why the File's URL is different for Admins to parents is a mystery to me.  @adamw might have an explanation.

How I got the other URL:

• Added the Shared Folder to the Parent dashboard
  • Logged into the Parent dashboard as a parent in Incognito mode.
  • Open the developer console
  • Open the PDF via shared folder.
  • In the Network section, about halfway down, spotted that one of the lines had .pdf at the end.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Graham Quince said:

OK, - fixed it

This is the actually URL for the PDF:

https://vlevm.ga.newcastle.sch.uk/app/file/resource/EDD0B3C520030544F8527FE100F58C0C776FBD0C917F540A.pdf

as opposed to:

https://vlevm.ga.newcastle.sch.uk/app/file/asset/F0C0C736200307AAEE73AFDE2287E2061B7A7DDC98075E2A/

I also noticed that even though you'd shared the folder with Parents, the little share icon didn't appear on the folder and i couldn't select it using the Shared Folder widget.  Best guess Parent sharing wasn't included at first and when added, was overlooked.  I'll report this to QA.

Quite why the File's URL is different for Admins to parents is a mystery to me.  @adamw might have an explanation.

How I got the other URL:

• Added the Shared Folder to the Parent dashboard
  • Logged into the Parent dashboard as a parent in Incognito mode.
  • Open the developer console
  • Open the PDF via shared folder.
  • In the Network section, about halfway down, spotted that one of the lines had .pdf at the end.

So an easy work around you say................. ?