Layout Looks - FrogCode widget

Graham Quince

Hi everyone,

A little while back @clangstaff got in touch with an idea for a widget to highlight different parts of a page - so that a teacher could direct the students from the whiteboard (e.g. "look at the red section...")

This morphed quite a bit once we got the initial proof-of-concept with the directors and developers weighing in.  The result is Layout Looks:

layout looks.PNG

layout editing.PNG

When you drag the widget from one box to another the layout appears to remain - so we've added in a refresh button.  (It disappears when you close the site and reopen it) - but in the next release, there is a bit of code been added to the codebase meaning that you won't need the refresh button.

I'm keen to keep dabbling with this widget - so if you have any styles for other looks, let me know here.

You can download this widget from the community:

https://www.frogeducation.com/community/frogcode/frogcode-showcase/layoutlooks

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

We're aiming for this to be enabled as part of the next release (it won't be a widget - it will be an option on each layout box), however, there's a question we'd like to pose:

When you select Custom, should any styling be applied initially?

For instance, should there be a border, drop shadow, internal padding?  What should it look like when you set custom to begin with?

(You'll probably want to delete the existing widget once you have been updated - otherwise there'll be a clash of styles)

Sneak peek:

Capture.PNG

Do the options (border, background, title, padding etc) only appear when you select custom? 

Have you considered showing these for the pre-determined styles too (so those styles can be tinkered with?) This way you wouldn’t need ‘custom’ as an option at all.

1 hour ago, pconkie said:

Do the options (border, background, title, padding etc) only appear when you select custom? 

Have you considered showing these for the pre-determined styles too (so those styles can be tinkered with?) This way you wouldn’t need ‘custom’ as an option at all.

The options do only appear when you select Custom - yes.

We have considered that - and i think version 1 won't have them so that we have this ready for Frank, but Version 2 will.

4 hours ago, Graham Quince said:

The options do only appear when you select Custom - yes.

We have considered that - and i think version 1 won't have them so that we have this ready for Frank, but Version 2 will.

Butcher?? ?

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Graham Quince said:

We're going with honouring Anne 

;)

Shame...... I think the frog logo with a shirt collar and spinning light up bow tie on everyone’s login screen would go down a storm..... 

• Haha 1