Markbook App

pconkie

Question

When creating a new markbook, despite ensuring that all the imported MIS mark schemes are set to "off" (and having created just three markschemes for the school to use) all markschemes (we have about 1000) are still listed....

Untitled.png.98a1f72e9f496700c01105fc701eeaaf.png

This makes the markbook feature very difficult to use!

14 answers to this question

@pconkie thanks for clarifying that - I have repped that issue on another platform too and have raised a bug (being able to access and create a Markbook based using inactive Markschemes). I wonder if this is what is causing issues with the 'Create Markbook' button not to be clickable too. We'll get that sorted ASAP so you only see your active Markschemes in that list, and fingers crossed it solves the other issue.

Hopefully it should just be a quick fix!

Also, that's great for the sorting issue - I think we will end up adding a User preference in the future, but the remembering the sorting order should be a quick win in the meantime!

Grading an assignment after the due date causes the app to mark the students submission as "L (Late)".  You then have to click the L button to take this off. Unless they did hand it in late, in which case you have to remember not to take it off.  Is this a bug? Because I would imagine most marking is done after the due date.

Hi Paul

Thank you for the feedback.  There are a few technical glitches you've found and @Matt is more aware of those than I am, so i'll make sure he's aware.

The ones I an help with:

21 hours ago, pconkie said:

Now that I have a markbook for a class.  And considering we are half way through the academic year.  How do i add previous assignments completed by this class into this markbook?

All previous assignments for the class and subject, should pull through into these markbooks.  If they aren't, there might be an issue to report to the helpdesk.  Do you want me to create a ticket for you?  We'll need a class to chase down the problem.

When switching between Open || Closed || Both assignments in the new mark-book, what is the default sort order on the Closed and Both tabs?  Could it put most recent assignments at the top please?

I beleive it is 

• Open : Due Date
  • Closed: Closed date
  • Both: Due Date (Matt - can you confirm this one?)

Grading an assignment after the due date causes the app to mark the students submission as "L (Late)".  You then have to click the L button to take this off. Unless they did hand it in late, in which case you have to remember not to take it off.  Is this a bug? Because I would imagine most marking is done after the due date.

Students can be "marked" twice.  When you collect their work in, you can record they have handed it in.  We have a lot of schools who wish to report on hand-in rates.  

When you do mark the work, you can record their marks.  If you haven't marked the work as handed-in, the hand-in tag is added for you automatically.  This is why the students are showing up as late.   If you don't wish to record hand-ins, just before you mark, you could edit the assignment to set a future date, mark the work then close the assignment.  This will record that the students handed their work in on time.

Hope that helps clear things up, happy to have a chat if you have more questions,

Graham

3 hours ago, Graham Quince said:

All previous assignments for the class and subject, should pull through into these markbooks.  If they aren't, there might be an issue to report to the helpdesk.  Do you want me to create a ticket for you?  We'll need a class to chase down the problem.

Yes please Graham, as it isn't pulling through previous assignments despite the class and subject being the same.  Please try 12D/Cp (Computing) as an example.  

I beleive it is 

• Open : Due Date
  • Closed: Closed date
  • Both: Due Date (Matt - can you confirm this one?)

It appears to be:

OPEN - Due Date Ascending (earliest on top)

CLOSED: Due Date Ascending (earliest on top)

I can't see a closed date anywhere, but when i open and the re-close an assignment it's position in the closed list does not change.. Could it be changed to Due Date descending? - Would save a lot of time waiting for the scroller to load a very long list of assignments

Students can be "marked" twice.  When you collect their work in, you can record they have handed it in.  We have a lot of schools who wish to report on hand-in rates.  

When you do mark the work, you can record their marks.  If you haven't marked the work as handed-in, the hand-in tag is added for you automatically.  This is why the students are showing up as late.   If you don't wish to record hand-ins, just before you mark, you could edit the assignment to set a future date, mark the work then close the assignment.  This will record that the students handed their work in on time.

Think this one might be a bug as it still marks them as late even if i give them a mark before the due date (with or without having "handed in"). We have got the kids in a really good habit of "handing in" work on frog.  So there is rarely a need for a teacher to press the hand in button for a student.  Despite this even when the tick symbol is displayed the app still adds the L symbol too when a mark is added.  This can't be right?!

6 minutes ago, pconkie said:

Think this one might be a bug as it still marks them as late even if i give them a mark before the due date (with or without having "handed in"). We have got the kids in a really good habit of "handing in" work on frog.  So there is rarely a need for a teacher to press the hand in button for a student.  Despite this even when the tick symbol is displayed the app still adds the L symbol too when a mark is added.  This can't be right?!

This does sound like a bug to me @Matt

If you give them a mark (thereby handing in the work automatically) - then it should only give them a late mark, if the work was not previously handed in and it is now after the due date. I think anyway!

Hi Paul,

Thanks for getting on touch on here - it will be quite useful to answer these questions with other schools being able to see the responses too (with Markbook being so new)!

I'll go through each of the issues/questions by quoting the questions below (with my response).

The first 2 posts (about the Markschemes):

1.) I'm not sure why inactive Markschemes are still showing in the Markschemes selector - this component in the Markbook creator wizard should only be looking at active Markschemes (that have been turned on). I will take a look at your platform and see if I can find out what is happening here, and raise a bug if I can rep that.

2.) The Markbook creator only allows you to create a Markbook when it is happy with all of the parameters. It looks like it could be something odd going on with the Markscheme selected that is preventing it from accepting it. This explains why when you go to use the 'Create and Add to Markbook' button in the Assignment List (for an assignment that is 'Not in a Markbook', in the screenshot you showed one using the 'Percentage' markschemes - which definitely won't have any issues....... I'll try and rep this now and get back to you on it / raise a bug.

On 10/02/2019 at 12:12, pconkie said:

Now that I have a markbook for a class.  And considering we are half way through the academic year.  How do i add previous assignments completed by this class into this markbook?

As Graham alluded to, it looks like there is an issue with the cycles and periods on your platform. With the introduction of the Markbook (Mozart release) we have added an element of FrogProgress, which brings in the concept of Cycles and Periods. Cycles are essentially Academic Years, and Periods are Half terms - you can see this new section in System Preferences > Assessment Cycles & Targets.

The Markbooks section of the Markbook app make use of these to allow Teachers to organise their assignments per Academic Year. Currently the Markbooks will show everything from this Academic Year - and we will be working on implementing an Academic Year roller later this Academic Year to allow schools to go back to previous years, in preparation for September. This will unfortunately mean that any assignments created before this Academic Year will not display in the Markbooks though (although you can still access them in the Assignments list / tab.

There is a script that runs when you get the Mozart release, which should add a default Academic Year with periods - running from September 18 to September 19 - however this doesn't look to have worked properly on your platform, as that is saying the Academic Year started last week! (which is why you're not seeing Assignments previous to that week appearing in the Markbooks). It looks like some schools MIS systems send through Academic Years, which are being stored in the database and conflicting with the script.

We've got a bug raised with this, and are looking to fix this for schools in general, however I have manually gone in and added the default Cycle and Period which the script should have done for you - so you should now see all of this year's (since the start of September) assignments in Markbooks.

On 10/02/2019 at 12:16, pconkie said:

When switching between Open || Closed || Both assignments in the new mark-book, what is the default sort order on the Closed and Both tabs?  Could it put most recent assignments at the top please?

We have gone with this order to encourage schools to keep on top of homework, and the ordering reflects the ordering in the MyFrog section (based on 'Due date' nearest at the top descending. From the schools we've spoken to already, they do share your opinion - particularly for the Closed Assignments.

Currently, if you click the 'Issue Date' column header at the top, it will sort the Assignments they way you want:

image.png

The problem is that currently you would need to do that each time you access the app (it doesn't remember).

Would a solution of ensuring this 'sorting' is remembered the next time you access the app (even if you log out) be good enough to solve this problem for you?

On 10/02/2019 at 12:20, pconkie said:

For this - there is the logic applied that if a student hands in the work themselves after the due date - it will be flagged as 'Late'. However when a teacher hands the work in on their behalf - it should never add the late flag unless they specifically click the 'late' button. Thanks for flagging this (excuse the pun) I have raised a bug and hopefully it can get sorted ASAP!

Hope this addresses all of the issues you mentioned! Let me know if not, or if you have any further questions.

Cheers

Matt

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Matt said:

Would a solution of ensuring this 'sorting' is remembered the next time you access the app (even if you log out) be good enough to solve this problem for you?

The above sounds great.

And thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response Matt.

Active mark-schemes are being displayed correctly in certain contexts e.g when you insert a new column to a markbook (using insert, not new assignment) then the drop down for this option contains only my 3 active mark-schemes.  Unfortunately when creating a new markbook the list has over 1000! (mostly made automatically made SIMS).

Edited by pconkie
  • Thanks 1