Visitor Log - UPDATED 26/06/20

Graham Quince

visitorlog.png

Here's a new FrogCode widget:

https://www.frogeducation.com/community/frogcode/frogcode-showcase/visitor-log

We worked with George Bligh from Greenshaw on this widget.  When someone views a page with this widget on, it records their visit.  Anyone with Edit and Manage rights gets a button which displays a list of all visitors, their profile, their children (if a parent), how many times they have visited the site and the time and date of their last visit.

screenshot.PNG

(This widget uses the datastore - a little known about feature of Frog's API.)

Updates

This latest version 2.2 includes a "copy to clipboard" button, which allows you to copy the whole table and paste it into a spreadsheet program like Excel.

The second new feature includes the ability to alter the Datastore's reference.  So if you wish to reset the log, instead of deleting the widget and adding it again, you can now change the reference and the information will remain stored.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Actually, just realised it is the api call that resolves uuids into names that is failing.  Can we do it in multiple steps?  Also this probably means we can still get the total number of page hits and unique visitors? Which would be great.

15 minutes ago, pconkie said:

Actually, just realised it is the api call that resolves uuids into names that is failing.  Can we do it in multiple steps?  Also this probably means we can still get the total number of page hits and unique visitors? Which would be great.

Hi

@Adam fixed it last night.  in fact, during the day he had to spend quite a bit of time dealing with my hacked code.  

The new version is ready and available to download. - George got it last night and it finally worked.

• 3 months later...

Really like this widget - we have it on a number of pages.  But.....

Does this widget record page visits or does it actually record site visits? Not sure which is the designed behaviour, but I think it actually records site visits.  If i'm correct, would be even more powerful if it recorded page visits.

Edited by pconkie

36 minutes ago, pconkie said:

Really like this widget - we have it on a number of pages.  But.....

Does this widget record page visits or does it actually record site visits? Not sure which is the designed behaviour, but I think it actually records site visits.  If i'm correct, would be even more powerful if it recorded page visits.

I honestly can't remember. If I get a moment I will look at the code, but I think that it records page visits. More specifically, I think it uses the widget id as the source. So if you put two on a page, they might show different data.... 

I'll have to look into it. You could test this by putting this widget on each page of a test site and visiting it a few times to see what data it shows.

14 minutes ago, Graham Quince said:

I tried testing this and it logs site visits.  If you have two on a site, but different pages, both counts go up.  I tried rewriting it but got nowhere.

I'll be passing the site_uuid to the data-store, all you'd need to do is pass the page_uuid instead. We can have a play sometime and see if we can get it working.

• Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Pete Foulkes said:

Morning!

We've put the widget on our Y6 transition site but it doesn't seem to be logging user visits in the 'Other' profile. Admin, staff and students all working fine.

Hi Pete - I'm trying to get an answer for you.

It's probably a permission - but I'm struggling to find it at the moment

1 hour ago, Pete Foulkes said:

Thanks Graham, much appreciated.

Hi @Pete Foulkes

Finally got to the bottom of this.  It appears the Other profile was not included in the datastore code and cannot be set to use the datastore, so the Visitor Log will not record their entries.  I'll flag this up with the Product Team and get it recorded as a bug.