Public form/email registration

altreed

Hi,

I am new to Frog and subsequently confused!  We are migrating from Frog3 to Froglearn.

I need to create a webpage that can receive variables, format and send an email to a member of staff. e.g http://frog.public.web.site/process.asp?v1=x&v2=y

We used a ASP/PHP page on a rented webserver to do this, but I now need to do this through frog as we are losing our external hosting. 

Has anyone got any pointers that can get me started?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sounds like you could do this with a form in Frog. Create a new site, add a new form and build it up using the form builder to have all the fields you want it to have. When you put the form on the page you can configure it to send an email on submission to any email address you like.

The email will contain the form responses.

form.PNG

We need this on a un authenticated webpage, not once they have logged into frog. 

One of  the frog support team tried to do this, but they couldn't achieve it, they suggested I look on the frog code forum.  But I have no idea how to edit an external webpage on frog.

15 minutes ago, altreed said:

We need this on a un authenticated webpage, not once they have logged into frog. 

One of  the frog support team tried to do this, but they couldn't achieve it, they suggested I look on the frog code forum.  But I have no idea how to edit an external webpage on frog.

You can do this - just share the page and make it public on the web. You don't need to be logged in to submit the form. The only caveats to worry about are the advanced form elements that require certain rights to be able to be used - for example, you couldn't use the 'user select' field type or the 'file upload' field type - as those require permissions from a logged in user. Everything else should work fine.

I just tested this with a quick form on a public site, when not logged in. I set the form to email the response to me and this is what I got back as an email:

Anonymous has submitted a response to the form External form test on site Form Test.

The response is summarised below:

Username: frog.anonymous
Name: Anonymous
Date/Time Submission: 12th Nov - 3:04pm

Click to edit label:: test1

Click to edit label:: Enter option label...

Click to edit label:: Friday, 30th November, 2018

Obviously my form is gibberish, as I just threw random things on it - yours should make more sense. Also, note that the user when not logged in shows as frog.anonymous.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Okay - sounds like the best thing to do at this point would be to get in touch with our service desk - if you give them specific examples of what you're trying to do from which pages etc then they'll be in a better position to help. If you mention that I've been helping you on the support ticket then the guys will know to come and pester me about it :P

Once we get a clearer idea of the end goals we may be able to suggest other ways to do it.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, maybe I am sounding a bit confusing.

I would like to create a page called service.asp on the external outward facing element of the Froglearn server.  To access this page does not require logging into Froglearn.

I would like to be able to access the page using url    http://frogserver/service.asp?v1=x&v2=y

The service.asp page would be able to receive the posted variables v1 and v2 then process the information and send an email to a designated recipient.

Hopefully this has clarified the objective. 

I can edit my Windows webserver at home, but find Froglearn very different to what I am used to.

Thanks

Dave

59 minutes ago, altreed said:

Sorry, maybe I am sounding a bit confusing.

I would like to create a page called service.asp on the external outward facing element of the Froglearn server.  To access this page does not require logging into Froglearn.

I would like to be able to access the page using url    http://frogserver/service.asp?v1=x&v2=y

The service.asp page would be able to receive the posted variables v1 and v2 then process the information and send an email to a designated recipient.

Hopefully this has clarified the objective. 

I can edit my Windows webserver at home, but find Froglearn very different to what I am used to.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for clarifying. Unfortunately you wouldn't be able to do this in that way, as your Frog server doesn't have a location where you can host your own files. Also the server isn't setup to handle ASP files. However, if you could process these files in javascript, then you could use a HTML widget on a page to grab the params that way.

I did a quick test with a HTML widget:

<script type="text/javascript">
    var url_string = window.location.href,
        url = new URL(url_string),
        x = url.searchParams.get("x");
    console.log(x);
</script>

You'd need to create a public site and access it in the following way: 

https://[frogserverurl]/app/os?site=[SITE_NAME_HERE]&v1=x&v2=y

If you can process the data within the confines of the HTML widget then you may be able to do this. Note, if the HTML widget isn't enabled on your platform, shoot the service desk a quick email and they'll enable it for you.