This document can't be previewed

gbligh

Hi all,

Staff and students are fed up of seeing this message when they open most files. Any way around this @Graham Quince ?? It would even be better if when a file type that can't be viewed is double clicked, it just downloads it straight away instead of showing this message. This is using the Shared Folders widget.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2018-10-01 at 16.19.24.png

• Like 2

@gbligh that's a good point. If it can't be previewed then should we automatically trigger a download? I guess so, since someone already clicked it, so they want to see it, even if they have to download it and open it on their machine. I'll point this in the direction of our UX guys and see what they think :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi @gbligh sorry for delay getting back to you (as mentioned on another post I've not been getting notifications from the forum when I'm getting mentioned!)

I have captured this suggestion for review, so when we are next looking at quick win bits of work - this will come up for discussion. It will be up to @Graham Quince to fight for this one then ;)

It does seem like a common sense one however, as it makes no sense behaving the way it currently does.

• 3 weeks later...

What about publisher files not being supported at all? (Maybe it's been explained and I missed it) Just need a little old download :( NOT PREVIEW (Network Files widget and in FrogDrive)

Happy New Year! :P

Edited by Sean_M

1 hour ago, Sean_M said:

What about publisher files not being supported at all? (Maybe it's been explained and I missed it) Just need a little old download :( NOT PREVIEW (Network Files widget and in FrogDrive)

Happy New Year! :P

In system preferences -> file types -> select the profile you want to allow to use a new file type -> expand 'custom types' -> enter:

vnd.ms-publisher

then press add.

You'll need to do this for all the profiles you want to enable publisher files for. As for why you need to do this - I suspect that it was probably missed when we created the original list, I'll see if we can get this added by default in future. @Matt

Any problems, give the service desk a call - They'll be able to sort you out :)

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, adamw said:

In system preferences -> file types -> select the profile you want to allow to use a new file type -> expand 'custom types' -> enter:

vnd.ms-publisher

then press add.

You'll need to do this for all the profiles you want to enable publisher files for. As for why you need to do this - I suspect that it was probably missed when we created the original list, I'll see if we can get this added by default in future. @Matt

Any problems, give the service desk a call - They'll be able to sort you out :)

ahh, easy as mince pie, thank you good sir.