Jump to content
johnmorris01

Homework overview for classes over a period of time

Recommended Posts

Hi

I've had a few teachers in recent months ask whether it is possible to see an overview of a particular class groups' assignments? They are after the facility to be able to click on a class, have all the tasks (with dates ideally showing) at the top, the students listed on the left and then 1/2 columns saying Handed In/Not Handed In and Completed/Not Completed. This would save those teachers having to do a lot of digging around either within Frog or having to dig into another mark book elsewhere and then exporting information out of that. They would just like this overview to be inside of Frog instead which I agreed should be something that seems do-able. The information is pretty much there already but I don't think there is a screen within either Assignment Manager or Monitor which shows all the info on one screen. The info is more limited to what I can see within a single assignment but if you have set a number of tasks, and you have a Parents Evening coming up, then it would be very handy to just see an overview to show to parents.

Does this seem like something actually doable?

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny you should mention that. 

You can use Assignment Monitor to to see an individual class, the frequency of homework set using the graphing tools and then go into the View Assignments button to see all that class's homework and hand-in rates, 

However, we're building a new application called Markbook Manager which will make marking handed-in homework easier and allow for team teaching.  It will be with you all very soon.  If you (or anyone) would like a tour through the prototype, just drop me a line.

Graham

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Graham Quince said:

Funny you should mention that. 

You can use Assignment Monitor to to see an individual class, the frequency of homework set using the graphing tools and then go into the View Assignments button to see all that class's homework and hand-in rates, 

However, we're building a new application called Markbook Manager which will make marking handed-in homework easier and allow for team teaching.  It will be with you all very soon.  If you (or anyone) would like a tour through the prototype, just drop me a line.

Graham

If you need any testers!!! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're running an extended FrogLabs for the next release.   It will be added to the release slightly later than the rest of the new features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/09/2018 at 16:44, Graham Quince said:

Funny you should mention that. 

You can use Assignment Monitor to to see an individual class, the frequency of homework set using the graphing tools and then go into the View Assignments button to see all that class's homework and hand-in rates, 

However, we're building a new application called Markbook Manager which will make marking handed-in homework easier and allow for team teaching.  It will be with you all very soon.  If you (or anyone) would like a tour through the prototype, just drop me a line.

Graham

Yeah - we have Assignment Monitor restricted for SLT and certain key members of staff due to issues with the amount of info it displays. So a solution that worked outside of that shows homework only set by that teacher (or classes co-taught) would be a much cleaner solution for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, johnmorris01 said:

Yeah - we have Assignment Monitor restricted for SLT and certain key members of staff due to issues with the amount of info it displays. So a solution that worked outside of that shows homework only set by that teacher (or classes co-taught) would be a much cleaner solution for us.

 

On 21/09/2018 at 19:48, ADT said:

If you need any testers!!! :D

Just a quick sneak peek for you guys. Here are a few reference images of what we're working on. Note however that these images are mock-ups (as the real thing is still very much in development at the moment and doesn't have any data in it to show - so a screenshot would look very underwhelming!

cards.PNG

 

Matrix1.PNG

matrix3.PNG

marking1.PNG

 

Please bear in mind that this is very much work in progress, and is subject to change - indeed, some of the things in these images have already changed in the development version as compared to these, but this should give you an idea of where we're heading.

Any questions / suggestions let us know!

@ADT

@johnmorris01

Adam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@johnmorris01 is this what you mean? Might not be quite what you are after?

Our tutors use this to monitor assignments for their registration group.  Similar to what they would have done when homework was recorded in a planner instead of on frog.

1. search for class

2. select a student

3. see their assignments - hover over to read assignment instructions (red = past due date)

1.thumb.png.9aacba413cf39d205c71d16c833e0f0b.png

4. change to calendar view if preferred. Green = handed in, Red = not yet handed in. Clicking will open the assignment.

Capture2.thumb.PNG.dece5c37d3384d48b1c71c17eba7b093.PNG

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, pconkie said:

@johnmorris01 is this what you mean? Might not be quite what you are after?

Our tutors use this to monitor assignments for their registration group.  Similar to what they would have done when homework was recorded in a planner instead of on frog.

1. search for class

2. select a student

3. see their assignments - hover over to read assignment instructions (red = past due date)

4. change to calendar view if preferred. Green = handed in, Red = not yet handed in. Clicking will open the assignment.

That is pretty handy that! Might well be a nice solution! I'm assuming that is something you have constructed yourself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/09/2018 at 08:54, johnmorris01 said:

Yeah - we have Assignment Monitor restricted for SLT and certain key members of staff due to issues with the amount of info it displays. So a solution that worked outside of that shows homework only set by that teacher (or classes co-taught) would be a much cleaner solution for us.

Hi @johnmorris01 just touching on this point, is the issue with the amount of data being displayed due to it being overwhelming - and lots of 'pointless' data to many teachers?

Or is the issue that it gives them more information than you want them to have access to because you don't want Teachers from one subject having access to Homework data for other subjects?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah - the problem with Assignment Monitor for us is too much data being made available to everyone. If it at least had a way of making data relating to assignments set by that member of staff only, then it might be more useful for us overall. As it stands, our SLT and Department Heads are the only people who are allowed access to it as we had a situation of a Key Stage coordinator trying to take his HOD to task for not setting homeworks due to his access to Assignment Monitor. That didn't go down too well within that department!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pconkie said:

I would agree. The data within assignment monitor is sensitive.

Can you help clarify this point? Why shouldn't a teacher be able to see the assignments set to any student? For example, a form tutor may want to check how one of their students is doing - should they not be able to see all the assignments set by any teacher to that student? What about teachers who are covering lessons? 

This is all useful information when it comes to us developing the markbook! For a contrasting view - the schools we've spoken to about this have mostly had the opposite view - that any teacher should be able to see any assignment on the system. Especially HOD's and such, so they can ensure that enough homework is being set etc... 

Is this something that would cause problems in your case at school?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@adamw

IMO there is nothing wrong with a teacher being able to see the assignments of any student. The example you give of a tutor is the classic case of this.

The issue as I see it is, this isn't the only thing that assignment monitor does.  It could be argued that this isn't even the primary purpose of assignment monitor.

What do you see when you open the app? The ability to look up the assignments of a student? - no. But it is very easy to click on the name of a teacher and look at the number of assignments they have set. Useful for SLT and HODs (although better if it was only teachers in their respective department) but not for everyone else. As I said earlier - this is potentially sensitive stuff.    

Yes, you can click on "View Assignments" and then type the name of a student....but you can also type the name of a teacher!  Apart from the sensitive information that teachers would have access to we also restrict this particular app because:

  • It takes too long for a tutor to monitor the assignments of their pupils - click to open app, click to view assignments, click into search box, type name, click to select student, click to re-select all assignments (because the tabs change by themselves after selecting an individual). Then to have to repeat for each student?!  We have used FrogCode to create something much faster.
  • It doesn't give accurate figures - if you are going to challenge a member of staff about a lack of assignments then you need to have accurate figures! Graph doesn't match the list when teachers have added multiple recipients (which happens all the time).
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, pconkie said:

@adamw

IMO there is nothing wrong with a teacher being able to see the assignments of any student. The example you give of a tutor is the classic case of this.

The issue as I see it is, this isn't the only thing that assignment monitor does.  It could be argued that this isn't even the primary purpose of assignment monitor.

What do you see when you open the app? The ability to look up the assignments of a student? - no. But it is very easy to click on the name of a teacher and look at the number of assignments they have set. Useful for SLT and HODs (although better if it was only teachers in their respective department) but not for everyone else. As I said earlier - this is potentially sensitive stuff.    

Yes, you can click on "View Assignments" and then type the name of a student....but you can also type the name of a teacher!  Apart from the sensitive information that teachers would have access to we also restrict this particular app because:

  • It takes too long for a tutor to monitor the assignments of their pupils - click to open app, click to view assignments, click into search box, type name, click to select student, click to re-select all assignments (because the tabs change by themselves after selecting an individual). Then to have to repeat for each student?!  We have used FrogCode to create something much faster.
  • It doesn't give accurate figures - if you are going to challenge a member of staff about a lack of assignments then you need to have accurate figures! Graph doesn't match the list when teachers have added multiple recipients (which happens all the time).

Thanks for the reply. When you look at the screenshots I sent above to do with the Markbook we're creating - does this look like it would be of more use? It works in the same way as progression charts, in that you create your own markbooks (or can favourite other peoples). You create a markbook for a group, academic year, tag (year7, year8 etc...) and a subject. The markbook will then get all the students in the selected group and draw a chart as shown in one of the images. 

To me, this gets around the problem of having to type in the student names as you can just read them down and see all the data tabulated on one chart. From here you can also mark, return, close, or hand in assignments (including the new bulk hand in for all students functionality).

Does any of the above cause you any concerns?

Quote

But it is very easy to click on the name of a teacher and look at the number of assignments they have set. Useful for SLT and HODs (although better if it was only teachers in their respective department) but not for everyone else. As I said earlier - this is potentially sensitive stuff. 

I must admit I'm having trouble understanding what you consider to be 'sensitive' information when it comes to assignments - could you give an example? Am I missing something obvious? (that can happen to me a lot :p) - because I don't understand how seeing what other teachers have assigned to students could be sensitive? Is it that there would be friction between staff who have set more / less than their peers?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out how I turn these problems into code that fixes or at least reduces them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see any issues with the screen shots above from the new mark-book. 

2 hours ago, adamw said:

Am I missing something obvious? (that can happen to me a lot :p) - because I don't understand how seeing what other teachers have assigned to students could be sensitive? Is it that there would be friction between staff who have set more / less than their peers?

Yes - that's exactly it! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another more up to date screen-grab from the markbook to show how it's shaping up:

snip.PNG

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...