Student Account Lookup Widget

Marcus Goluch

Hi everybody.

So the new school year started and as always the teachers are sending year 7 students to my door every day. After 3 class loads of kids asking for user names and passwords I decided something had to be done. Obviously placing an excel document in a shared area was simply too complicated for the staff.

So I took to HTML, picked up a few new tricks and began work on a new frog code widget that I would like to share today. 

chrome_2018_09_19_12_34_20.png

This widget allows you to search though your year 7 students account information to find their username and password with out sending them to I.T.

2018_09_19_12_35_10.png

Adding the data is quite simple, you just need to convert the data to json and copy paste it into the widgets settings.

sublime_text_2018_09_19_12_35_50.png

You can also click a username and it will hide very thing else but that 1 students data, good for when you just want to show the kid your screen but not show them the other students account details.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Chris Goluch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris Goluch said:

I wish the staff on our site would use that, we tried this but the staff did not wish to use it.

Its not like its rocket science.....  and how else will i confuse kids by saying things like.....  "why did you set your password to be underpants"...  "i didn't sir"...  "well try it and see" :P

22 hours ago, pconkie said:

Are the passwords secure from students assuming the widget is not shared with students, or is there still a way for students to get at the passwords?

Good question, answer ofc not.

I just set up a rule on the page for the widget that disables the widget for students, hopefully that prevents the widget from getting passed down to the cleint and thus prevents the data.

This is why we need a real API guys, you know server side scripting on top of client side. You know like Node.js perhaps?