Feedback - frog on mobile

pconkie

I’ve recently spent a fair few hours (days) evaluating if we should use frog for our school website. A big consideration for me is how frog handles visitors on small screens. I’d like to say first that frogs support for mobile  is now very good and has been getting better with every update! I can also appreciate how difficult it must be to cater to so many platforms, versions and devices. However, I’m not ready to pay frog to do a re-brand for our website yet as we need a flawless website and I am not convinced it would be completely flawless. I know that frog listens and appreciates constructive feedback, so here’s what’s stopping me.

For testing purposes

I have created a site in frog (the default site you get when you specify only a name and then hit create). The site has two pages. Each page has a single text widget with some text inside to act as some content. That’s it! About as minimal as you can get. I’ve published this site - feel free to take a look: https://froglearn.backwellschool.net/test1

I have tried each test out on 4 different mobile devices (all of the Apple variety)

Issue #1 - lanscape on iPhone 

0C9D2380-4735-474A-82F2-50259FB1E037.thumb.gif.98f845b04e8d0154ca94643d289de2de.gif

We’ve got a black rectangle covering almost 1/3 of the viewport.

Issue #2 - scrolling is broken

This is hard to describe (hence the video) but makes using a frog site on iPhone painful! 

Issue #3 - the menu

It takes three gestures to open it when in landscape. Safari won’t let you click the open handle without brining down the address bar. So what you will see below is a tap-scroll-tap to get the menu open.

CF21A62A-6625-46D6-BCE1-FA518E5C5066.thumb.gif.22541470b986a2d506423375a9249f5a.gif

At other times the menu opens due to a slight swipe left gesture (often when scrolling - well trying to scroll). Would be best if the menu didn’t react to swipes.

What a shame this menu is targeted to touch devices and not screen size (as is the case on no touch devices). The bigger iPads for example are crying out for the full site menu and just look odd with this menu.

Issue #4 - page navigation

I think the accepted behaviour of clicking a menu link is that you are taken to the top of that page. This isn’t the case in a frog site for every click after the first

115CADFE-CCAA-4139-A020-D0D934B54975.thumb.gif.4a24851a024a7dbe4a9109b3829c8fe2.gif

Here i scroll to the bottom of page 1 in the test site, then navigate to page 2. I’m taken to the bottom of this page! I know that these are not really pages and that something is going wrong with auto scrolling but it’s another thing that will confuse visitors. This one is actually broken on desktop browsers too.

Hopefuly these can be resolved, after all I  would like to put our website on frog.

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1