Frog 3 and Frog Learn

mmclaughlin

My school started with FrogLearn, which I find to be really powerful.  I keep hearing references to Frog 3 and wanted to know what are the major differences between the two.  If I read this forum, I would think that Frog 3 had much more accessibility and use than FrogLearn.  So can you enlighten this neophyte?

FrogLearn is the updated version of Frog 3. We were a Frog 3 school but we turned it off and now just run FrogLearn, we did this as we had very little content that had been created in Frog 3 so it wasn't an issue for us. I prefer Frog Learn as I am not IT trained and therefore the management systems on it are much easier for me to use. I think staff in the school also find it much easier to create content on FrogLearn compared to Frog 3.

Matt

In my opinion Frog 3 is, at the moment, a lot more powerful and versatile than FrogLearn!!  There is a lot more control and functionality for admins however I agree with Matt...  it a bit of a pain in the arse to master so learn is much easier for the non IT trained staff!!

There are a lot of things FrogLearn does very easily...  Creating websites...  Form... Polls.... Quizes..... etc

But a lot of the I see things that FrogLearn cant do and think to myself...  well you could do that dead easy in Frog 3...  why hasn't that been taken over to FrogLearn etc!!  I supposes that's when the Ideal Portal comes in!!

If you don't know Frog 3 then you don't know what it can do better.....  which is probably for the best!!! :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Graham Quince said:

Hi @mmclaughlin

If you (or anyone else reading this) would like an account set up on our demo platform and a remote session where I'll talk you through what FrogLearn can do, just drop me a line.

Graham

I think @mmclaughlin was actually more interested in what Frog 3 can do...... :P

@ADT @Graham Quince We have only had FrogLearn. I am very happy with that platform.  I have used other platforms and think FrogLearn is easy to use and a better fit for schools.  I would love to know how Frog 3 differs and is the same as FrogLearn.  I have seen it mentioned by some people here repeatedly and it seems that people think it is better or worse.  I wanted to specifically how the two compare.  This is for curiosity sake.

Matt

Hi @mmclaughlin

Re-reading my post - i have no idea what i was talking about.  I swear there was an extra sentence in there originally.  Everyone - offer for a tour / demo is always open.

Matt, Frog3 was more of a technical platform - we talked about bricks for building pages, (although there were widgets too) and you could construct pretty much any layout or structure with time.  The biggest difference I'd say is that in Frog3, it would take most people around 20 minutes to build a page with learning materials, compared to 5 mins(?) in FrogLearn.  

Frog3 now has the reputation for being for techies rather than teachers.  You could do more, but fewer people did - IYSWIM

Like @ADT has said, there are some features like Frog Tabs missing from Learn.  Frog Tags are simple codes like [user_username] which worked in both the text & html bricks to display personalised information.  Schools could create their own tags and upload data to them.  Forms have more freeform too, and allow you to control the layout, with more flexibility and use the form results as a database.

There are other elements "missing" in Learn, but then Learn has things like FrogSnap.

• 2 weeks later...

For both the schools I work in, generally speaking, FrogLearn can do exactly what we did within Frog 3 in a much cleaner and more simplified process. We never used much of the more powerful stuff in Frog3 as by the time we were in a position to start considering this FrogLearn came around.

Frog 3 was very much a platform for the technically minded and certainly not one for teachers with their current work loads (even getting consistent usage of FrogLearn by teachers can be problematic).

The list is gradually decreased though we are still a Frog3/Learn school because FrogLearn still lacks a few key elements of functionality we require.

- Public web files (ability to embed files on a public website)

- Ability to easily be able to generate a public URL for any file

- Scorm packages don't work in FrogLearn

We're also reluctant to let go of Frog 3 completely as managing files in FrogLearn can be problematic. There is currently no way of deleting files that we're previously linked to a site etc

• Like 2