2 ideas on the portal I am hope will get some traction

emoseley

Student submits a Google Activity and permission changes to Comment instead of can view.

Teachers that I work with love using Frog and Google together.   Frog manages the workflow and Google provides the collaboration and the ability to see who did what.  When students submit work, Frog says to Google change the permission to can view only.   This is ideal except when the teachers are using the comment function.   Students cannot see comments unless the permission level is set to comments.   The teacher can change this, it is only about 6 clicks.   Multiply that by the 130 students the average secondary teacher sees in a day and it is no longer a small chunk of time.  I propose that when the assignment is made.  The teacher will be able to select the behavior of the permission change "can view only" or "comment."

Idea FRG-I-1265

https://ideas.frogcommunity.com/ideas/FRG-I-1265

Video conferencing for Distance Learning

Video conferencing is a crucial part of education and should be part of any LMS Here in the states we are looking at BigBlueButton bigbluebutton.org  This is an open source solution that many of the big LMS players here in the states are using.  (ex. Canvas, Schoology,  Moodle, Sakai)   Would like to see Frog work out a 3rd party integration or somehow include it into FrogLearn.

• Like 1

Hi @emoseley

Re: BigBlueButton

I've fired an email to our 3rd-party people to ask them to contact BigBlueButton.  We will happily integrate with any one who talks to us.  We have default systems in place and will share with them what we have.  If you can also contact BigBlueButton and make a similar request to them, it will help them to justify putting in the development at their end.

Re: Google Docs

I had a chat this morning with one of our developers and about an hour later, they called me back over to demonstrate that it's possible to switch over sharing from View Only to Can Comment.  This wouldn't be an option, it would be the new default.  We're happy to do make this change and it could be in place for Galileo.  However, as currently coded, this would affect both Individual Copies AND Collaboration docs.   Students would be able to continue to make comments on documents after they have handed them in.  Of course, all comments are marked with the user and time, but i couldn't see a delete option.  And of course, if a teacher wanted the Collaboration document to be View only, it's one sharing setting to change, not 130.

So my question is:

Would you like us to implement the quick change as soon as possible and we will add an improvement request for collaborative documents to the backlog to be looked at in the future?

or

Would you prefer to wait for a complete solution as you've described above, with the teacher selecting the sharing behaviour?

Hello @Graham Quince

Thank you for the support on these.

RE:  BigBlueButton

This is actually an open source solution run by a community, here is the link to developer information http://docs.bigbluebutton.org/dev/api.html .  Ideally, I was thinking that Frog could adopt it and put it into FrogLean or create an app that points to a BBB server on site.

RE: Google Docs

I am going to survey teachers to see preferences will get back to you asap.

Cheers

Eric

Hi

@Adam has explained to me a bit more about Big Blue Button.  I understand that even with this open source option, you'd still need a server to host the videos and bandwidth.

I wonder if you've considered Planet eStream?  They integration with Frog already, with SSO and videos appearing in Discover, they have live streaming and offer a hosting deal (when I was at Cramlington) I brought their system in and we had a server onsite.  I know we also integrate with ClickView, but i'm not sure if they do video conferencing.

Graham

22 hours ago, Graham Quince said:

I wonder if you've considered Planet eStream?  They integration with Frog already, with SSO and videos appearing in Discover, they have live streaming and offer a hosting deal (when I was at Cramlington) I brought their system in and we had a server onsite.  I know we also integrate with ClickView, but i'm not sure if they do video conferencing.

@Graham Quince    Unfortunately neither Planet eStream or ClickView will fill the niche we need.  Additionally, they cost money and BigBlueButton is Free we even have a server already set up. We are trying to make Frog the hub for all things.  BigBlueButton will be used to provide learning experiences for our student whom may not be able to attend traditional classes.   We have several students with specific medical needs who would greatly benefit from this.  When possible they can participate in classes virtually and when they cannot then the archive will be available. 

https://bigbluebutton.org/schools/