Form Widget

nward

When i was at BETT I'm pretty sure I remember someone saying that there would be an update to forms with this release, allowing a two step process? Have I imagined it? and if not then when is it likely to be released? Thanks 

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, smackie2 said:

Hi Graham - when you say 'editable entries' is that like in Frog 3 when the user can edit what they've submitted?

Thanks,

Susanna

I believe that's the idea. You would be able to directly edit (if you had the correct permissions) the data in the data-viewer app, or the new data-viewer widget. We're still working out the details on how that would work.

In fact, you guys will have an opinion on this: 

Is it worth you being able to edit a row once it's submitted, or would being able to delete a row that was incorrect be of more use?  The reason I ask, is that obviously editing a row is far harder to do - but you also have the problem that if someone edits it - do you want to know what the edited? What they changed? When? Do you want a history of who changed what?  Otherwise - how can you trust that the data you're looking at was entered by the person who's name is next to it?

How often could you see yourselves editing a row - rather than just deleting it and telling the person they need to re-submit?  I can imagine that for massive forms, it may be more of a problem.

For us (we are not a school as such) staff have to submit a record for each visit with a student. Quite often they will put in wrong date/time taken/wrong student (or not following naming conventions) ... they don't have the ability to see the data, all they can do is send an email to the admin person to let them know what they've entered wrong - then when the data is exported the admin has to edit the csv file with info from the email...

Having the ability for the staff member to see their own entries only in the data viewer and edit (or delete) them there would be ideal - we don't want staff seeing each others' due to confidentiality. Having the history of what they edited isn't needed - just as long as what is exported is the correct version. Basically like how you could in Frog 3 ;-)

Thanks

1 hour ago, adamw said:

I believe that's the idea. You would be able to directly edit (if you had the correct permissions) the data in the data-viewer app, or the new data-viewer widget. We're still working out the details on how that would work.

In fact, you guys will have an opinion on this: 

Is it worth you being able to edit a row once it's submitted, or would being able to delete a row that was incorrect be of more use?  The reason I ask, is that obviously editing a row is far harder to do - but you also have the problem that if someone edits it - do you want to know what the edited? What they changed? When? Do you want a history of who changed what?  Otherwise - how can you trust that the data you're looking at was entered by the person who's name is next to it?

How often could you see yourselves editing a row - rather than just deleting it and telling the person they need to re-submit?  I can imagine that for massive forms, it may be more of a problem.

If you get chance...  speak to Qunicy about how we use Frog 3 forms...  We are heavily invested in them and they are one of the main reasons we still have Frog 3!!!!  Get him to show you what we do and if you can get learn to do the same....  I'll be booking in turning off Frog 3!! :P

Quincy has already given me the heads up on what to expect and when....  hopefully the first drop will help with layout....  the second one the functionally!!  We shall see!!

@Graham Quince

@adamw @Graham Quince

Ok so Galileo has landed... and we can now format forms!!  Yahoo.....  we can turn a paper based form into a similar looking electronic form...  (like I have done in Frog3!!!

Is there any plans to be able to auto fill questions...  like automatically pick todays date...  add the persons name who's logged in... address etc (update parent details)!!!  I supposed I'm on about Frog Tags in Frog 3!!

What about having an email sent to the person who's filled in the form so they have a record???  Like in Frog 3!!

We need the results to be able to be edited and log the user and data and time of the person who changed it!!  Again like Frog 3!!

Have you had chance to talk to Qunicy???

I know there is a second drop of Form improvements...  so just highlighting a few bits now!! :P

38 minutes ago, ADT said:

@adamw @Graham Quince

Ok so Galileo has landed... and we can now format forms!!  Yahoo.....  we can turn a paper based form into a similar looking electronic form...  (like I have done in Frog3!!!

Is there any plans to be able to auto fill questions...  like automatically pick todays date...  add the persons name who's logged in... address etc (update parent details)!!!  I supposed I'm on about Frog Tags in Frog 3!!

What about having an email sent to the person who's filled in the form so they have a record???  Like in Frog 3!!

We need the results to be able to be edited and log the user and data and time of the person who changed it!!  Again like Frog 3!!

Have you had chance to talk to Qunicy???

I know there is a second drop of Form improvements...  so just highlighting a few bits now!! :P

Some of what you've mentioned is stuff we want to get into drop 2, such as editing rows (which does show you who edited it and the time) - auto filling in data is a good idea and I'll pass it along and I'll check about the email stuff :)

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, adamw said:

Some of what you've mentioned is stuff we want to get into drop 2, such as editing rows (which does show you who edited it and the time) - auto filling in data is a good idea and I'll pass it along and I'll check about the email stuff :)

What about the ability to duplicate a form.....  so I have a layout but just need to change the questions.... :P

You sort of had that already.  

FrogDrive > Forms should really be named something like "My Form Templates', as that's what they are.  I'd love to get all forms in there, but that's a different conversation.

You should always create a form in FrogDrive, as that allows you to use it again on other sites.  When you then add a form to a site, it makes a copy.

Just now, Ashton Taylor said:

I've just pushed a fix for that so will be in the full release of Galileo.

- Ash

Nice one ash.....  Will keep my eye out for other issues!!

16 hours ago, Ashton Taylor said:

The issue was raised this morning and the fix will be in the next release

regards,

- Ash

So are these fixes not part of the tomorrow patch??

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:52, Graham Quince said:

You sort of had that already.  

FrogDrive > Forms should really be named something like "My Form Templates', as that's what they are.  I'd love to get all forms in there, but that's a different conversation.

You should always create a form in FrogDrive, as that allows you to use it again on other sites.  When you then add a form to a site, it makes a copy.

Missed this... 

No you haven't...  I want to be able to copy a form...  so I can strip out the questions and reuse the structure for a different form!!! :P

2 hours ago, ADT said:

Missed this... 

No you haven't...  I want to be able to copy a form...  so I can strip out the questions and reuse the structure for a different form!!! :P

A solution you might find useful:

Create a form called "My Layout" with no questions, just the layout you want to re-use. From there, all you have to do is click the "Use In New Site" button within the Forms section of Frogdrive and you have a duplicated form. You can then add questions from the site itself using the "Edit Form" button within the widget

3 minutes ago, Ashton Taylor said:

A solution you might find useful:

Create a form called "My Layout" with no questions, just the layout you want to re-use. From there, all you have to do is click the "Use In New Site" button within the Forms section of Frogdrive and you have a duplicated form. You can then add questions from the site itself using the "Edit Form" button within the widget

I get ya....

See you think creating a form in FrogDrive would link the form to the one embedded to the page.... 

However it takes a copy when you embed it so if you were to update the one in FrogDrive it doesn't update the embedded version!!

Its a bit counter-intuitive!!!!