Notice board widget changes

adamw

Hey guys, 

As some of you may already know, I'm looking to make some improvements to the notice board widget. One of the things I have been looking at doing is changing the permissions needed to create / edit and delete notices.

My current thinking is this:

• If you are admin of a site, you can do everything - add, edit and delete all notices.
  • If you are not admin, but have contribute rights, you can add, edit and delete only notices posted by you.
  • If you have view rights, you get no add, edit, delete controls - only the ability to read notices.

I think this should cover most use cases, but any feedback would be appreciated.

Finally, if you have any other things you'd like to see done with the noticeboard then now's the time to speak up! I've already had a list of stuff from @Graham Quince which I am looking into and I will be checking the ideas portal as well. We can't promise to do everything all at once, but hopefully we can introduce some incremental changes over time to improve the widget.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

On 01/02/2018 at 12:03, adamw said:
  • If you are not admin, but have contribute rights, you can add, edit and delete only notices posted by you.

That's the main one for us. At the moment staff could edit or delete other posts on our noticeboard.

Auto refresh or an icon to do it without having to refresh the whole platform please! :D

1 minute ago, C Wilson said:

That's the main one for us. At the moment staff could edit or delete other posts on our noticeboard.

Auto refresh or an icon to do it without having to refresh the whole platform please! :D

Yep, that's already added. There's a refresh button you can press, as well as a new preference that allows you to set an auto-refresh time. (Min 60 seconds)

• Like 1

Only issue we have is that we have a noticeboard on our parent dashboard and we also have forms for them to fill in. I believe the forms require contribute permission to complete, but giving them contribute permissions would also mean they can make changes to the noticeboard when we only want them to view the posts.So it would either be no forms on the site or having to embed a notices page, which I've been trying to do but i'm having some difficulty getting it to display properly.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pete Foulkes said:

Only issue we have is that we have a noticeboard on our parent dashboard and we also have forms for them to fill in. I believe the forms require contribute permission to complete, but giving them contribute permissions would also mean they can make changes to the noticeboard when we only want them to view the posts.So it would either be no forms on the site or having to embed a notices page, which I've been trying to do but i'm having some difficulty getting it to display properly.

Thanks, I'll take that into consideration and see if I can come up with a solution.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys and gals, here's how the notice board is currently looking. I've introduced a bunch of new features and it's been given the once over (style-wise) by our UX guru - having said that, all this is still not finalized, so things may change / look different in the final version.

notice table detail.PNG

We've kept the style looking pretty much how it did before, just tidied it up. As you can see, you can now add rich text / images / files / link to pages etc into a noticeboard. This is the view with detail enabled. You can also just show them as a list.

notice table.PNG

Notice the refresh button! You can now refresh a board by pressing that, instead of refreshing the whole site.

Adding a notice has has a little UI love:

New Entry.PNG

Also, expired and pending notices will now show like this:

pending and expired.PNG

Note that site admins, and the notice creators are the only ones who can see notices in this state. They don't show for anyone else.

Also, in edit mode you can delete all expired notices:

notice in edit mode.PNG

Finally, we've added more widget preferences:

notice prefs.PNG

And that's it for now!

notice_detail.PNG

• Like 3

On 2/5/2018 at 15:51, Pete Foulkes said:

I've addressed this. There's a preference on the widget now (that defaults to on - which mirrors the current behaviour). When the lock-board preference is enabled, only anyone with edit and manage rights can add to the board. When off, anyone with contribute rights can. So this should get around your problem, You can add it to the page, and make sure that preference is set - so even if parents have contribute rights, they won't be able to add notices.

The UI got a bit more love today. The delete all expired notices option was moved into an action cog and can only be done by people with admin rights on the site.  You can also now change the "New notice" button text - so if you wanted to use it as a kind of blog, you could do.

new_ui.PNG

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, adamw said:

The UI got a bit more love today. The delete all expired notices option was moved into an action cog and can only be done by people with admin rights on the site.  You can also now change the "New notice" button text - so if you wanted to use it as a kind of blog, you could do.

new_ui.PNG

Adam Adam he's our new Geek King...  if he can't do it no one will!!!  Chris Smith who???

• 3 weeks later...

Any way to have a notice board that can be names and show across various pages without having to create it on a site of it's own and embed that site.  Seems a waste of a whole individual site if it can be done another way.

The updates so far look great! Thanks

All these updates the Noticeboard widget look great - this will certainly help with our quest to reduce all staff emails! 

I know I'm being impatient (and I may of already asked this) but when will we get this update?

20 hours ago, Aimée13 said:

Any way to have a notice board that can be names and show across various pages without having to create it on a site of it's own and embed that site.  Seems a waste of a whole individual site if it can be done another way.

The updates so far look great! Thanks

Hey Aimee13, I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean, can you give an example? 

50 minutes ago, adamw said:

Hey Aimee13, I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean, can you give an example? 

Sorry, I didn't really explain myself very well. :S Basically I'd like to show the same notice board on two different pages.  I was just wondering if we might have an option to have that notice board only exist in one place, but have it display elsewhere as well without the noticeboard being on it's own site and then embedding that site into multiple pages.  In the same way that all sites have a tag option and we can then have particular sites show in a site list. Could a notice board have a tag and then have an option on another page 'show XXX notice board'.  I hope that makes a bit more sense?? o.O

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, mmclaughlin said:

Did the Noticeboard come out in Gallileo?

Unfortunately, Adam's updates missed the code cut off, so they'll be in the next release.  I believe they are in internal QA at the moment, all going well, they should be with you soon(ish)

• 1 month later...

@adamw the file upload only seems to work now and again.... just tried to add a file to a notice and file uploader is broken. Any ideas?

Capture.PNG.0539b9417eb4b67bb2243d481d4142e7.PNG

@Graham Quince you should probably pull my frogcode noticeboard from the downloads area as the recent update has broken it and the new version largely makes it obsolete.  If only the default settings for showing a notice was "UNTIL" rather than "FROM"!

46 minutes ago, pconkie said:

@adamw the file upload only seems to work now and again.... just tried to add a file to a notice and file uploader is broken. Any ideas?

Capture.PNG.0539b9417eb4b67bb2243d481d4142e7.PNG

@Graham Quince you should probably pull my frogcode noticeboard from the downloads area as the recent update has broken it and the new version largely makes it obsolete.  If only the default settings for showing a notice was "UNTIL" rather than "FROM"!

I'd have to check, but I think that was found and fixed - so an upcoming beta patch should have the fix in it.

22 hours ago, pconkie said:

Hi Paul.

I actually pulled it a couple of weeks ago in anticipation.  I didn't know that the update would introduce a bug into your widget, but at least Adam's "official" one is out in the wild.   Thank you for building and sharing your version - it's helped a lot of schools and been a popular widget.