New Welcome Message!!

ADT

Firstly can this be turned off??  Because I can guarantee it'll be the first question I get asked by SLT today!!! 

Secondly can we use this to display special notices???

Im sure I wont be the only one wondering this!!

:D

• Like 2

Hi @ADT

The welcome message only appears once after each update.  There is an X - close button in the corner.  The information is also available under the Frog head, in case someone wants to read it again.  It can't be turned off, but can be quickly dismissed.

We've added this feature after a huge amount of feedback from teachers who told us they weren't being made aware of the latest features in Frog.

Special notices - no sorry, although there is work ongoing for a user agreement pop-up which schools will be able to customise. ( out of date - see ADT's post below )

We had a discussion on the old forum about this and I posted this code:

<div id="mydiv" style="display:block; cursor: pointer; background:#FFFFFF; position:absolute; left:50px; top:30px; z-index:50;">Hello</div>

<script>
$("#mydiv").click(function(){
$(this).hide();
});
</script>

The z-index part will lift it above the rest - layers 999 and 9999 are used by Frog's navigation, but you can always increase the z-index if 50 isn't sufficient. The jQuery in the script will hide the pop up when it's clicked on. You could always add a close button and then you'll just need to change it to something like:

<script>
$("#mydivclose").click(function(){
$("#mydiv").hide();
});
</script>

@smackie2 seemed to like it at the time:

Thanks Graham - you've made my day! That will be perfect - will combine it with date rules too.
Now I'm off to book myself onto a CSS course - really need to learn myself some more!

• Like 1

I agree, ideally needs to be turned off. I have already had people asking for it to be turned off.

I also agree with the second comment, would be a good feature for schools to use for special notices.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graham Quince said:

Special notices - no sorry, although there is work ongoing for a user agreement pop-up which schools will be able to customise.

You mean that Acceptable Use Policy feature that already exists in System Preferences....... o.O

You really are out of the loop Graham.... :P 

:S  You know some days it's just not worth getting out of bed,

Yes, the acceptable use poilcy could be used for special messages.

Being former school staff myself, my first instinct was the same as yours, that staff wouldn't like it.  Then we started on the roadshows and teacher after teacher (and IT staff too) didn't know about new features.  (Almost without fail, when you get a software update you get some form of pop-up.)

Those staff who have complained to you, were they aware of the new features already?

Of course, if you're still not convinced there's always the ideas portal.

• Like 1