Flashcards

pconkie

Actually....  Nope i cant get it to work!!

It works for me... but doesn't load for anyone else!!  Says "Google sheet not found!"???

And i actually followed @pconkie's guide and everything!!  very unblokey thing to do!! :P

29 minutes ago, pconkie said:

Get it unblocked!

Unfortuanly its a Managed service policy....  would take the head to get unblocked!!  And he isn't that interested in IT magic!! :(

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Hi all, 

Thank you Paul for this fantastic widget. We have been using it a lot last term and the children love it! 

Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with it since the summer holidays. We are unable to turn the flashcards by clicking on them. We can see the front side of the card but when we click on them it just turns white and we are unable to see the back of the cards. 

Would you be able to help us? 

Thank you!

Tessa

29 minutes ago, Theres.Ilk said:

Hi all, 

Thank you Paul for this fantastic widget. We have been using it a lot last term and the children love it! 

Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with it since the summer holidays. We are unable to turn the flashcards by clicking on them. We can see the front side of the card but when we click on them it just turns white and we are unable to see the back of the cards. 

Thank you!

Tessa

What browser are you using?  The ones i have still work in Chrome here!!

40 minutes ago, Theres.Ilk said:

Hi all, 

Thank you!

Tessa

Happy to help, but as others have said - would need to know what browser you are using and on what kind of device (e.g. computer, mac, phone etc).  Also if you are loading from a google sheet or from the widget itself.

1 minute ago, Theres.Ilk said:

Hm that's interesting. We are using Chrome as well. I tested the widget on multiple pages and I also created a new one to test it but unfortunately the same problem re-occurs every single time...

Are you able to go to help --> about in Chrome and tell me what version?

When you go to the flashcards here: https://froglearn.backwellschool.net/flashcards   do they work or not?

This is the text: Are the answers the teacher is trying to use on the back too long?

Mesoamerica#The name of Central America and the civilisations that existed before the arrival of the Spanish in 1500s.; Codex#An ancient manuscript that makes up a book of writings.; Blood-Letting#Removing blood from the body.; Codex#An ancient manuscript that makes up a book of writings.; Dynasty#A ruling family; Fresco#A painting on a freshly plastered wall.;Incense#Any gum or spice which gives off a sweet smell when it is burned. Maya incense was copal, a sticky substance from certain trees.;Pok-a-tok#Maya ball game played with hips, knees and elbows.; Quetzal#A tropical bird prized for its colourful green tail and feathers.; Stela (plural stelae)#Large upright stone cared with hieroglyphs.; Underworld#The Maya believed that there was another world, beneath our own, where the dead live and where the sun travelled to at night.;

2 minutes ago, Theres.Ilk said:

Hi, thank you for your quick reply! 

We are using Chrome: Version 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit)

The flashcards in the link you have sent me work all fine. 

You are using amore recent version of Chrome than I am, but if the flashcards at the link work, then it's not going to be the browser/version.  Must be the data?

Can you create a new site with the flashcards widget on and put some flashcard data into it as a test.  If it still doesn't work save the site and then go to share the site with the setting - share publically on the internet. Then send me the link.

1 minute ago, Theres.Ilk said:

This is the text: Are the answers the teacher is trying to use on the back too long?

Mesoamerica#The name of Central America and the civilisations that existed before the arrival of the Spanish in 1500s.; Codex#An ancient manuscript that makes up a book of writings.; Blood-Letting#Removing blood from the body.; Codex#An ancient manuscript that makes up a book of writings.; Dynasty#A ruling family; Fresco#A painting on a freshly plastered wall.;Incense#Any gum or spice which gives off a sweet smell when it is burned. Maya incense was copal, a sticky substance from certain trees.;Pok-a-tok#Maya ball game played with hips, knees and elbows.; Quetzal#A tropical bird prized for its colourful green tail and feathers.; Stela (plural stelae)#Large upright stone cared with hieroglyphs.; Underworld#The Maya believed that there was another world, beneath our own, where the dead live and where the sun travelled to at night.;

I've just tested this data and all works fine.....

Capture.PNG.e334f0a0665bfa418492ace03de373ba.PNGCapture2.PNG.419acca13cbe14b712f4de7ed279908e.PNG

Ok I think we are getting somewhere now.  I can see that the flashcards have no back!

Is that a custom theme?  I wonder if you have something in the theme that is interfering.  Have you tried with a different theme?  

I'll have a proper look after lunch.

Paul

Just now, Theres.Ilk said:

It is a new theme created by Frog. But yes customised to our School.

I just tested it on another theme and it works! How interesting!! Good detective work there.

Not sure what may cause this though.

If its a Frog theme.....  id get them to fix it!! ;)

On your custom theme you have hidden arrows on the menu (which I have made visible and circled in red)

Capture.PNG.4b4549a8000e2e21c185d5940ac934dd.PNG

These happen to be called .back.inactive and .forward.inactive

In the flashcards widget the two sides of the card are called .back.inactive and .front.inactive

Note the back of the card name exactly matches the left arrow, the front doesn't.  In a nut shell this is why the back of the card isn't visible but the front is.

It is not that the theme is "broken", it is just a very unlikely naming coincidence causing the issue.

It can be fixed temporarily by adding a html widget to the page with some custom code.  If you can wait, i'll change the names to something a lot more obscure in the flashcards source code so that this doesn't happen again. I can then ask @Graham Quince to install the new version on your frog box.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pconkie said:

On your custom theme you have hidden arrows on the menu (which I have made visible and circled in red)

Capture.PNG.4b4549a8000e2e21c185d5940ac934dd.PNG

These happen to be called .back.inactive and .forward.inactive

In the flashcards widget the two sides of the card are called .back.inactive and .front.inactive

Note the back of the card name exactly matches the left arrow, the front doesn't.  In a nut shell this is why the back of the card isn't visible but the front is.

It is not that the theme is "broken", it is just a very unlikely naming coincidence causing the issue.

It can be fixed temporarily by adding a html widget to the page with some custom code.  If you can wait, i'll change the names to something a lot more obscure in the flashcards source code so that this doesn't happen again. I can then ask @Graham Quince to install the new version on your frog box.

He shoots he scores!!!  :D

Hi @Theres.Ilk

I think you have re-saved the site you sent me with a different theme, so I have had to try to remember certain things, however I think if you were to add this to staff and student dashboards, it would fix the issue for all of the flashcard widgets everywhere....

<style>
    [data-name="Widget.Flashcards"].widget-content .back {
        visibility: visible !important;
    }
</style>