User Management App

Aimée13

Hi,

I just wanted to draw some more attention to a ticket on the ideas portal as it's something I don't know how other schools on Learn are coping without -  the ability to sort the users app by the MIS link column! I am having to go through thousands of names to archive the old users.  It's so time consuming.  We need to be able to sort the MIS column so that we can archive more easily.  Please can people vote on this?  The idea will soon have been posted for two years.

https://ideas.frogcommunity.com/ideas/FRG-I-402

• Like 1

Hi @Aimée13

Although it will be awesome when we do eventually have better filtering tools in the Users application (to achieve what that idea would let you do) - there is a much less stressful way of removing old users who are no longer MIS Linked:

This uses the Csv export and import process on the Users application, and at the end will allow you to simply search for the word 'delete' in the Users application search box, allowing you to delete all of the non-MIS linked users in one go.

1.) Export all of the users to a csv (you can split this by profile if you wish) although if you have non-mis linked users from different profiles you wish to delete, I'd recommend exporting all at once.

2.) On your exported csv, filter the 'MIS Linked' column - so you get all the MIS linked users at the top / non-MIS linked users at the bottom (or vice versa) - as long as there is a split. The easiest way to do this, is to click on the first cell underneath the column header - which will have an 'N' or 'Y; in it. So this will likely be cell 'AL2'. Right click it and then sort by A to Z

3.) Remove all of the MIS linked users from the spreadsheet - as we don't want to change anything for them.

4.) You are then better off opening a new blank spreadsheet  - where you want to copy and paste all of the usernames of the non-MIS linked users onto. Don't close the users csv  though - keep that open in the back ground

5.) So let's says on this other blank spreadsheet you've now got all of the Usernames of the non-mis linked users in column A. What you need to do now, is add the word 'delete' into Column B - and make sure that each username in Column A has column B next to it with the work 'delete' in it (so if you've got username 'MattSmith' in cell A2, you will need 'delete' in cell B2 - and if you've got username 'LisaJones' in cell A500 you will need the word 'delete' in cell B500.

6.) Next you will need to go to cell C3 and in there you want to write the following formula: "=Concatenate(A2,B2)" and hit enter. This should combine the username and the word delete into one cell 'mattsmithdelete' for example. 

7.) You then want to click cell C3 and then hold your mouse over the bottom right of the cell so a '+' icon appears, and then click and drag all the way down to the last user. This should leave you with all of these cells in column C with a combination of the username and the word 'delete'.

8,) You then want to copy the column C and paste that into the original csv, over the usernames - make sure that when you paste it, you select the paste option of 'Values' only - as that will not copy the formula over, it will just copy the text.

9.) You should now have the usernames in the csv all with the word 'delete' at the end. Make sure that the top row in the csv says 'Username' and you haven't pasted over that (as the csv import won't work if you have)

10.) Then you want to save the csv, and go to the users application to import it.

11.) Once you've imported this csv - you will now have all of the non-mis linked users with the word 'delete' in their username, meaning you can now simply search for 'delete' in the users app, and then when that loads all of these users, you can click 'select' > 'select all' and then delete them all in one go.

I appreciate this is a long winded process, especially compared to being able to do it all via the users application - however it is much less effort than having to go through it manually deleting non-mis linked users like you are doing at the moment!

If anyone reading this has a quicker way of achieving what I have done, please let us know! This is just the way I have done it when helping schools.

Thanks

Matt

• Like 1

Thanks Matt.  Hadn't thought of doing it that way, and wish I had. :S Although, as you say is rather long winded.  I think I am sorted now for the time being, but still would be useful to be able to sort the column n the users app at some point.

Interesting to know there is another formula for combining cells in Excel.  I use =(A2&" "&B2), for example, and then enter that, gives the same result. xD

Thanks again :D