Frog Snap and Frog Learn Why not use a computer?

mmclaughlin

If you haven't figured it out I have found Frog to be a good resource.  One of the issues in the US has been students using their phones in class.  We don't have tablets for each student and we don't want the students on their phones.  (too many privacy issues and security issues, as well as a MAJOR distraction to the learning environment)  We also don't want them using their phones but still would like them to be able to upload a picture through Frog.  So the idea would be to embed Snap or a picture taking program in learn that can be used to upload an image.  

So with all of this,  I am looking for some votes for this change.

https://ideas.frogcommunity.com/ideas/FRG-I-1254

@Graham Quince @emoseley

Edited by mmclaughlin
  • Like 1

Most Chromebooks, Macbooks and Window's laptops have a camera embedded in them.  A student could hold up the work and then take an image of it and have it upload to the program.  One issue we have with Snap is that it requires a wifi connection, and we do not allow students to bring in electronics and hook it to our wifi.  With the limited bandwidth shared by all devices this would be a major failure point in our infrastructure.  Thus by allowing computers to do this, we could have the option to use this feature and save on paper.  It also has to do with equity in education.  Not all students have a mobile device.  We can't assume that all of our students have access to this in the school system and making that assumption is dangerous.  

My thought behind this is, we have math teachers who have their students take notes, but then do their practice on paper or whiteboards.  Whiteboards would save paper and if you break it down, A ream of paper costs ~5.00 USD that is .01/piece.  Our teachers average a load of 120 students for 180 days.  If they give approx 2 pages / day each student costs ~3.60 USD that is 432 USD/teacher at 8 teachers  a savings of ~3500 would be realized and that is just the math department.  If we were to spread the same figures across all of secondary in my district we would be looking at a savings of about 54,600 USD and with primary we may see even more.  That would be about 1/2 the Total Cost for a single teacher.  It would allow parents to see the work their child is turning in (increasing parent engagement) as well as preventing the common litany of students "You lost it so you should give me credit still.  I can also see an increase in using FrogFeedback because rendering images has never been a problem and students can either retain the work, even if they have done it on a whiteboard.  

To me this is a win win.  

Does this answer your question?

@clangstaff

Edited by mmclaughlin
  • Like 1

@mmclaughlin Sounds like a good idea - unfortunately for us laptops. macbooks etc are non existent in the schools I work in.

I actually think given the functionality you've mentioned above this would be a much better solution than using FrogSnap on mobile devices and tablets. We have huge issues getting work off of mobile devices especially ipads as the workflow is just terrible. FrogSnap offers a semi solution but having the power to quickly and easily upload documents and files as well as photos would be a big win.

As a school that is employs entirely Microsoft hardware/OS (not my decision) for our users, a snap/progress application or functionality in windows would be golden. 

Probably more so for staff to be honest. File uploading the 'slow' way isn't too bad on our Surfaces but it's not as fast as Frogsnap/Progress mobile apps. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can store images and 'send' an image to a timeline/photo stream from Frog drive - if the students used their drive to store images taken with the webcam this could be a temporary half way to what you want to achieve until it goes through?

• Thanks 1