Saturday and Sunday 'absences'

pconkie

Question

Somebody thought it would be a good idea to have Saturday and Sunday included as a type of 'absence' in the frog parent attendance widget?

This student has 100% attendance .....

image001.png.0cf790a50a5c94686990d4d68da22ce9.png

'exceptional circumstances' seems to be for not coming to school on the two Sundays and one Saturday included in the date range.

And how is 'null' different to 'no mark recorded'?     Come on frog!

Ok - question time (I think i know the answer) - how do i fix this?

AND before @ADT says it...... I think this worked properly in frog 3

• Haha 1

8 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, pconkie said:

Somebody thought it would be a good idea to have Saturday and Sunday included as a type of 'absence' in the frog parent attendance widget?

This student has 100% attendance .....

image001.png.0cf790a50a5c94686990d4d68da22ce9.png

'exceptional circumstances' seems to be for not coming to school on the two Sundays and one Saturday included in the date range.

And how is 'null' different to 'no mark recorded'?     Come on frog!

Ok - question time (I think i know the answer) - how do i fix this?

AND before @ADT says it...... I think this worked properly in frog 3

Way ahead of you on this one. The issue is that the data coming from SIMS includes attendance codes for students for those days. Basically - in this case the exceptional circumstance would be 'Planned whole or full school closure'

Now, I've been working on a way to be able to configure this data better (yes like you could in Frog3) and so I present you a new section in FrogParent Manager:

attendance1.PNG

Using this section you can configure what attendance codes you want to show and ignore, as well as change the default (SIMS) descriptions to be something more like what you would use in the school. Also, the graph widget is getting an update which breaks down the attendance codes for you as in my previous post: 

You should be getting that, as well as a new summary widget in the next release (fingers crossed).

:)

• Like 1

Thanks Adam.  So an option to turn off or hide the weekend would be useful in both detail and summary views.  Setting default values for the date filters would be very useful too.

Matching colours where possible would help parents understand the data better - eg present in details view is green tick and in pie chart all codes that mean present could be various shades of green.

Pie chart better if % figures rather than totals were visible (in my opinion).

Everything else above looks really useful - I was about to roll up my sleeves and sort this out with frogcode, but i'm currently rolling sleeves back down!

Thanks 

1 hour ago, pconkie said:

Thanks Adam.  So an option to turn off or hide the weekend would be useful in both detail and summary views.  Setting default values for the date filters would be very useful too.

Matching colours where possible would help parents understand the data better - eg present in details view is green tick and in pie chart all codes that mean present could be various shades of green.

Pie chart better if % figures rather than totals were visible (in my opinion).

Everything else above looks really useful - I was about to roll up my sleeves and sort this out with frogcode, but i'm currently rolling sleeves back down!

Thanks 

You could find the attendance code for 'Whole planned school closure' and just set it to ignore in FrogParent Manager. Then none of the graphs or calculations should use that data and it should clean it up nicely for you. Colours for attendance codes is a nice idea, I'll have a look into how easy custom colours for the graphs would be when I get a few mins.

12 hours ago, adamw said:

You could find the attendance code for 'Whole planned school closure' and just set it to ignore in FrogParent Manager. Then none of the graphs or calculations should use that data and it should clean it up nicely for you. Colours for attendance codes is a nice idea, I'll have a look into how easy custom colours for the graphs would be when I get a few mins.

But this code is used by schools for holidays and inset days. So there might be other consequences

2 hours ago, pconkie said:

But this code is used by schools for holidays and inset days. So there might be other consequences

Hmm, but if the school is closed, then it shouldn't count either way should it? So it would be fine to ignore it in terms of a child's percentage attendance I would have thought?

12 minutes ago, adamw said:

Hmm, but if the school is closed, then it shouldn't count either way should it? So it would be fine to ignore it in terms of a child's percentage attendance I would have thought?

True for the summary view but might be a bit odd on the details view?

5 hours ago, pconkie said:

True for the summary view but might be a bit odd on the details view?

If it's ignored then it shouldn't show up on the graph at all. It'll go through a load of testing before it gets released, so if there are any issues they should be picked up then. However, it is really down to how an individual school decides to configure their data as to how it shows. Hopefully this should grant some flexibility in that :)

• Thanks 1