Jump to content
Virginia Baldock

Issue using Raspberry Pi to display froglearn (public) sites

Recommended Posts

We use Raspberry Pis to "drive" our display screens with a series of webpages run via a script (see attached).  We used to display frog3 pages without any problem but since we have moved to froglearn, and therefore using frog sites, they won't display (they are public sites). Using the pi conventionally you can browse (with Chromium) to the sites but via the script they don't display. Any ideas?

I have attached the full script but here are is a short extract:

// Define your "slides". 3 values for each are:
//      1. Duration in seconds.
//      2. Title to be used in menu.
//      3. Source URL. Can be full URI or a relative URL.
slides[1] = new Array(10, "Menu", "http://frog.judd.kent.sch.uk/menu");
slides[2] = new Array(30, "Rules", "http://frog.judd.kent.sch.uk/weekaweekb");
slides[3] = new Array(10, "Time", "http://time.is/just");
slides[4] = new Array(10, "LFN", "http://frog.judd.kent.sch.uk/latestfixturenews");

We have tried running the script on a Windows 7 PC and get the same issue.

Yours hopefully, Virginia

slide.txt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Virginia,

For security reasons you can't use iFrames within FrogLearn, one suggestion a developer has given me is to create a site and on each page nest the menu, weekaweekb and latestfixturenews and embed the time site and add a piece of code to go through those pages. 

Have a go and let me know if you need help from a developer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Sam. Great to have a reason. We could just get away with just a couple of nested pages and change the content during the week. And buy the Dining Hall a clock!

Yes please if we could have help from a developer. Hopefully we will just need a pointer, something to get us started and hopefully we can work the rest out ourselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Virginia Baldock said:

Thanks Sam. Great to have a reason. We could just get away with just a couple of nested pages and change the content during the week. And buy the Dining Hall a clock!

Yes please if we could have help from a developer. Hopefully we will just need a pointer, something to get us started and hopefully we can work the rest out ourselves.

Hi Virginia,

So the suggestion is to have one site that your raspberry pi's can view. We can then use a combination of nested page widgets and external embed widgets to add content from frog and external websites respectively. Being digital signage, obviously we are going to want something that will cycle through the pages, displaying the content for a set amount of time for each page.

Does this all sound correct?

~ Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Virginia Baldock said:

Sounds perfect. Yes please.

Hi Virginia,

I've created you a FrogCode Widget which does everything that you need it to... I say "need" because due to time and technical limits I have not been able to implement transition effects (fade in/out).

When you come to use the widget, make sure it is on the first page of the site only... this is important. Once on, it will be invisible when the site is live. In edit mode, you will be able to set a time in seconds for how long each page is visible before it proceeds to the next page. The last page will wrap back to the beginning.

 

Please note that the timings won't be 100% reliable due to how JavaScript works. I could explain it but, when I explained it to Quincy he needed a sit down and a cup of tea to fix him. Ultimately, the pages will be visible for the amount of time you've specify at a minimum.

If you need any help installing this widget, let us know, otherwise you should be good to go!

 

~ Chris

5F9F0F832001BD9A84355FD5266C4D02419699EC9881C2AC.tgz

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic. Thank you so much - and so quick!!

I have installed the widget and built the page but it isn't working quite right. If I click on the 2nd page it scrolls back to the 1st page but then doesn't scroll onto the second.

 

Here is the page :

http://frog.judd.kent.sch.uk/displayscreen

in case I have done something silly.

 

Yes - please don't explain to me how it works - if Graham can't understand it then I don't have any chance!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Virginia Baldock said:

Fantastic. Thank you so much - and so quick!!

I have installed the widget and built the page but it isn't working quite right. If I click on the 2nd page it scrolls back to the 1st page but then doesn't scroll onto the second.

 

Here is the page :

http://frog.judd.kent.sch.uk/displayscreen

in case I have done something silly.

 

Yes - please don't explain to me how it works - if Graham can't understand it then I don't have any chance!!

Hi Virginia,

It looks to be working fine to me... Worth pointing out that it's not designed to handle human interference (clicking on the 2nd page) as it keeps an internal record of where it is. I didn't think in the case of digital signage that such a requirement would exist :S

Let me know if this is something you need adding.

~ Chris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/10/2017 at 14:06, Chris.Smith said:

Please note that the timings won't be 100% reliable due to how JavaScript works. I could explain it but, when I explained it to Quincy he needed a sit down and a cup of tea to fix him. Ultimately, the pages will be visible for the amount of time you've specify at a minimum.

Oi!   I mean well done for creating a digital signage widget, but there’s no need for the cheap jibes at my expense!  :P

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Graham Quince said:

Oi!   I mean well done for creating a digital signage widget, but there’s no need for the cheap jibes at my expense!  :P

Just face it Quincy...  you're the forum's whipping boy!! :P

You feeling better? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Graham Quince said:

i know and it's so uncalled for.

Sort of better, but then not.  Tonsils being removed was fine, the "healing" is what's killing me

O I...  and I can imagine, like me, you don't make a good patient!!  Get bored to easily and want to be back running the show sooner than you should!! ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What I would find most useful is a tutorial guiding one through building a basic frogcode widget focussing on the coding element. Setting it up in the 1st place and installing it are fairly easy but I floundered with the coding. I think if I had an example to follow/copy/edit in my own time I might have managed one on my own.

Hope you are on the mend - I thought you were on holiday - silly me!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Virginia Baldock said:

What I would find most useful is a tutorial guiding one through building a basic frogcode widget focussing on the coding element. Setting it up in the 1st place and installing it are fairly easy but I floundered with the coding. I think if I had an example to follow/copy/edit in my own time I might have managed one on my own.

Hope you are on the mend - I thought you were on holiday - silly me!!!

I second that the idea of a basic guide!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...