Website Analytics

vikpaw

Hi

I've got a site shared publicly to anyone with the link, and I want to run some analytics to see when it's accessed, where from etc. Google Analytics style.

Any ideas on how to achieve this, by putting code into the HTML widget? I've tried Google, but it didn't seem to work. I've tried StatCounter, but it blanked the page when I added the code, and I had to open in safe mode to remove it.

It doesn't need to be anything fancy, I just want some very basic metrics to see if something shared is being used, and when, ideally by unique users.

Cheers in advance :)

If you login as an admin to your platform and search for 'analytics' in the search bar, you can find an app to help with this.You get something like this:

analytics.PNG

I've covered up the site names and authors in this example, but you should see all your sites and their stats here. You can also use the filter at the top to search for sites by name, etc...

• Like 1

Thanks @adamw I've used this, but I'm looking for more. It reports up until the day before, so I can't see any more than I could yesterday. I've tried changing the system date in my computer but I guess the stats are compiled at the server side and won't be fooled.

The built-in analytics may have to do, but what I'm looking for was a little more info on the users, so, time of view, their location, repeat views etc. It's more for a site that is shared externally, so I want to see the reach, rather than just summary total views. Ideally, I can see this somewhere in realtime.

If I can embed a tracking link in a html widget, then it would be okay, but so far I've not found the right tool. I'll keep looking...

To follow up on this. I've managed to use Woopra to add some tracking javascript which seems to do what I want.

I placed the html widget at the bottom of the page and inserted the <script>...</script> tags, and it appears to work, despite wanting to be in the Head tag of the page.

The benefits are it shows live visits, time, location, and other info, and I can get it to email me an alert when an action happens.

This is just on one site, so I'll have to play and see how I can get separation if there are multiple sites as it's based on the domain url.

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 09.59.25.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 09.56.50.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

With a little help from the Quincey @Graham Quince I have managed to create a widget that can be used to make adding the code to a page easier.

Before I publish there are a couple of tweaks required and I require some assistance from you good folk.

Could you tell me how to reference the name of the site and the name of the page, using javascript? If I can grab this, I can pass it to the tracking code as a custom label, and this will allow tracking of logged in users.

• Like 1

This is what it could show, with the page name next to action.

At the moment the page name has to be manually added as part of the widget - if someone can assist with a built-in variable to list sitename and pagename, this could be automated.

It's not so bad for a publicly shared site, but for logged in users, as the URL doesn't change it needs to have a label for each site-page combo.

Other things it can do is to track links clicked, and even identify the user.

I'm trying to make time to watch the Frog API videos, so I can pull the username out too.

Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 15.58.24.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get ever get anywhere with publishing a widget which also captured the page name? That side of it would be very useful for us with our school website as we are very keen to ascertain which sections are visited! We have the standard Woopra tracking code which is useful in capturing info in terms of visitors but obviously no good for Froglearn sites as we just see a lot of "app/os" page visits! :D

Edited by johnmorris01

16 hours ago, johnmorris01 said:

Did you get ever get anywhere with publishing a widget which also captured the page name? That side of it would be very useful for us with our school website as we are very keen to ascertain which sections are visited! We have the standard Woopra tracking code which is useful in capturing info in terms of visitors but obviously no good for Froglearn sites as we just see a lot of "app/os" page visits! :D

Hi

I don't have an auto page sensor, however I have got it to the stage where you have a parameter which you would have to label and configure on each page, to give it a name. This would then pull through as a tag into the analysis.

I haven't had chance to work on it for a while, so I've not even parsed the data returned by the sitelink code that @pconkie kindly supplied.

Hope to have it publishable soon.

If anyone out there knows how to get the page label - it would be great. I've seen a bit of code, which was a bookmarklet which returns the internal alias, which includes the creator's name and I think the site / page name, but I'm not sure that will work, or how to apply it.

I'm not sure their code is built to be centralised, however even in the theme it should behave as though it's loaded on each page, shouldn't it?

It's much better to have it on each page manually, even though I couldn't get it into the Head Tag.

When you are looking at logged in sites, it will only ever show the data from the URL which doesn't change much if at all.

The way I have it working is I added custom code to their supplied tracking code which then creates a new variable which you can analyse on. The problem I have is that at the moment the page name is a parameter of the widget so I have to drag it on to a page and then enter a name for each page. If the page name could be extracted from javascript, then you'd only need to drag the widget onto the page.

Actually, thinking about it, in order for it to be easily shared, I'd need a parameter to enter the unique tracking ID, which defeats the object of making it easy. Otherwise, the only option is to get each site to create their own widget. I wonder if there is a way to record some data, somewhere in Frog, maybe just as a dummy staff member's name and then refer to that in the code. So you can use the widget, so long as you also create a dummy staff member whose first name is IgnoreMeCustomWoopraTracking and last name is the tracking code.

That was what I thought - we only need it on our externally available website so there should be unique links displaying for folks not logged in. I can see the increase in Woopra stats so it is definitely tracking more but the actual page visit info is still just app/os or app/os?website so we still don't know which actual pages have been looked at. Not sure if I need to alter the tracking code or whether the #! in the URL causes the Woopra tracking to truncate the URL?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Did this ever move along? Our Governors are still interested in finding out more on which areas of our school website are being accessed and I've literally nothing to tell them other than overall visits/types of devices used via using Woopra. Frog Analytics of no use at all either in terms of this and we've still zero ideas on how has at least linked up their phone to the MyFrog app so cannot feedback at all in terms of the take up of it!

• 2 years later...

Did  this go anywhere? I too am really keen to have much more visibility of how our sites are being used so I can make much more informed decisions rather than best guess or requests.

The current analytics tools on Frog are OK but don't give me the level of depth I want (such as PDF downloads, links clicked etc). Can we add Google analytics into the main website?

Would appreciate any advice, even if Frog partners with an analytics software company that we could consider.

Hi @Sue Busher,

Honestly, development has been focussed on other things.  The Visitor Log widget helped with a bit more data and just today, Adam has approved my new FrogCode app, Link Log, which gives you more or less the same information as Visitor Log but for a resource./website:

https://www.frogeducation.com/community/frogcode/frogcode-showcase/linklog

Unfortunately, Vik left the school he was at shortly after.  I beleive Woopra provides you with an embed code, and I can help get it running.  Google Analytics cannot be easily added to Frog.  It's been over 2 years since I looked at Vik Paw's code, but if you want to sign up for an account, I can see if I can help.

Graham