Returning assignments to students

pconkie

Question

We are having a drive on returning low quality work to be re-done.  The "return assignment" button seems perfect for this but......

It is not obvious to students that it has been returned - yes the assignment reappears in their list of open assignments, but they just think they have forgotten to press the "complete assignment" button, so they press it and hand in again.

Yes - they get a notification where they can see the message from the teacher (this doesn't appear on their timeline).

No - their parents do not see any message in "My Childs Work" nor do they get a notification.

Am I missing something?  It's too easy for students to miss this and parents don't know its happened at all unless their child tells them.

Ideally a new icon would show in my frog and in the assignment app for student, parents and teachers. Or returned assignments could be a different colour, or it could say at the top of the assignment "This assignment has been returned because blah blah blah".

Would be really powerful for parents to see that teachers expect more and have returned the work. A real missed opportunity unless i just haven't seen something somewhere?

Edited by pconkie
  • Like 1

13 answers to this question

50 minutes ago, Sam Brown said:

Just trying to get an answer on this from the Product Team Paul, I'll update you once I know more.

I thought you were suppose to have a Frog Head for your profile pic....  new Frog Policy!!!  Just so people know you work at Frog....  I mean its not like anyone else could change there picture to a Frog head!!! :D

4 minutes ago, ADT said:

I thought you were suppose to have a Frog Head for your profile pic....  new Frog Policy!!!  Just so people know you work at Frog....  I mean its not like anyone else could change there picture to a Frog head!!! :D

Don't know what you're talking about Looks okay to me........  ;)

:ph34r:

On 22/09/2017 at 12:58, pconkie said:

We are having a drive on returning low quality work to be re-done.  The "return assignment" button seems perfect for this but......

This gets my vote. Out of interest are staff mainly using this for assignments that were physically completed via Frog using the activities or for homework completed in books too?

46 minutes ago, clangstaff said:

This gets my vote. Out of interest are staff mainly using this for assignments that were physically completed via Frog using the activities or for homework completed in books too?

Both, but probably more for work completed in books...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, adamw said:

I was having a play about today and came up with this. This any better?

returned.PNG

@adamw that is amazing! Would it look like that for students AND parents? The message a teacher gets to add when returning the assignment - does that appear anywhere?

Is there some custom code i can add to my platform right now to do this or did you have to change some of the apis?

5 hours ago, pconkie said:

@adamw that is amazing! Would it look like that for students AND parents? The message a teacher gets to add when returning the assignment - does that appear anywhere?

Is there some custom code i can add to my platform right now to do this or did you have to change some of the apis?

I had a to make a change to the api's to send the 'returned_date' to the front end. Also, whilst I was doing this I noticed the missing message and added it in. It shows up when you click the row, along with any other messages being sent. There's an odd formatting issue at the moment, but I'll sort that in due course.

Also, I haven't tested it with parents yet O.o - probably should get on that! I'm fairly confident it would show the same for parents. Staff would not show any different, it just goes back to waiting to be submitted in their view. At least for now :)

• Like 1