editing an assignment

Rob

Question

At Seaford Head School, we have started to log all homework on FROG.  Staff are asking about the ability to edit an assignment by adding resources to it.  We have worked out how to edit the dates, but the edit function doesn't appear to let us add resources (ie upload another word document) once it has been published.

Are we missing something?

Thanks

Rob

• Like 1

12 answers to this question

10 hours ago, Rob said:

At Seaford Head School, we have started to log all homework on FROG.  Staff are asking about the ability to edit an assignment by adding resources to it.  We have worked out how to edit the dates, but the edit function doesn't appear to let us add resources (ie upload another word document) once it has been published.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob

You are right, adding resources is currently not available when editing an exiting assignment in Frog, however, this has already been raised on the Ideas Portal and currently has 21 votes, so we should be looking at integrating this in the not too distant future, since it has gained so much interest so far. 

You can view the raised idea here - https://ideas.frogcommunity.com/ideas/FRG-I-1063

• Thanks 1

Yep...  we have having major issues here with that.....  In Frog 3 you could go back and change everything!!

Im sure I asked this before but its something to do with how when you set a homework it creates a site packages it all up and then send it!!  This doesn't explain how you can change the first and last bit!!!

Think its on the ideals portal somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Hi Rob

You are right, adding resources is currently not available when editing an exiting assignment in Frog, however, this has already been raised on the Ideas Portal and currently has 21 votes, so we should be looking at integrating this in the not too distant future, since it has gained so much interest so far. 

You can view the raised idea here - https://ideas.frogcommunity.com/ideas/FRG-I-1063

If you are going to do this, my one request is that admin have the ability to do a version view.  It would be helpful if something were to change that the admin could go back and see it before the change as well.

9 hours ago, ADT said:

Yep...  we have having major issues here with that.....  In Frog 3 you could go back and change everything!!

Im sure I asked this before but its something to do with how when you set a homework it creates a site packages it all up and then send it!!  This doesn't explain how you can change the first and last bit!!!

Think its on the ideals portal somewhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried changing, say the marking criteria on an assignment that you are editing? Despite this being in the last section and making all the right noises when you press the save button, it doesn't actually change anything (even if you haven't entered any marks yet). I'm sure another comment about frog3 is now due, eh Adrian? :D 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pconkie said:

Have you tried changing, say the marking criteria on an assignment that you are editing? Despite this being in the last section and making all the right noises when you press the save button, it doesn't actually change anything (even if you haven't entered any marks yet). I'm sure another comment about frog3 is now due, eh Adrian? :D 

You what now....  tell you what...  talk about being sold a lemon!!!  I'll be turning off Froglearn tomorrow and going back to good old...  stable...  functioning...  sensible.. Frog3 and demanding a refund!!!  >:(

On 19/09/2017 at 23:30, Rob said:

Thanks

Rob

When you create an assignment, what actually happens if that a new site is created per student.  Editing ability isn't available at the site level or assignment level because of this.  

One possible workaround is to create an assignment template which includes a shared folder or nested page to a common area.  This way you can add resources and make changes later and include features such as a forum a school part of the assignment.

i think the upcoming assign a page  will make this a bit easier too

22 minutes ago, Graham Quince said:

When you create an assignment, what actually happens if that a new site is created per student.  Editing ability isn't available at the site level or assignment level because of this.  

One possible workaround is to create an assignment template which includes a shared folder or nested page to a common area.  This way you can add resources and make changes later and include features such as a forum a school part of the assignment.

i think the upcoming assign a page  will make this a bit easier too

But how come you can change the instructions on the first page??

@ADT When an assignment is created, it creates a non-editable site for each student, with the activities and resources that you have selected contained within it each 'site'.

The reason why you can edit the instructions page but not the Activity / Resources page is because the latter are far more complicated when it comes to changes in the database. Instructions is simply changing a string of text, whereas the Activity/Resources tabs involve changing widgets/files in the database which is more difficult.

As well as Graham's workaround above, like Tom has said you have the option to 're-issue' the Assignment which will create a copy of the current assignment, but allow you to change everything before sending it out (add the missing resources for example) and then close and delete the original assignment. **IGNORE THIS - Me = Wrong** If you do this quick enough it should ensure you don't have any students attempting the homework. However even if you don't do it quick enough, and a student attempts it before you do this, I don't see much difference between that and if you were able to edit the activity / resource on the original assignment anyway?

Anyway I think you should be able to edit any detail of the assignment so I'll plug this idea again: https://ideas.frogcommunity.com/ideas/FRG-I-1063 the rest of this post was just an attempt to try to explain why it currently isn't possible :ph34r:

EDIT = ignore my comment about re-issuing  assignments. This should be called 'Copy Assignment' as it keeps the settings for Activities and Resources. Sorry, just trying to confuse everyone :(

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

@ADT When an assignment is created, it creates a non-editable site for each student, with the activities and resources that you have selected contained within it each 'site'.

The reason why you can edit the instructions page but not the Activity / Resources page is because the latter are far more complicated when it comes to changes in the database. Instructions is simply changing a string of text, whereas the Activity/Resources tabs involve changing widgets/files in the database which is more difficult.

As well as Graham's workaround above, like Tom has said you have the option to 're-issue' the Assignment which will create a copy of the current assignment, but allow you to change everything before sending it out (add the missing resources for example) and then close and delete the original assignment. If you do this quick enough it should ensure you don't have any students attempting the homework. However even if you don't do it quick enough, and a student attempts it before you do this, I don't see much difference between that and if you were able to edit the activity / resource on the original assignment anyway?

Anyway I think you should be able to edit any detail of the assignment so I'll plug this idea again: https://ideas.frogcommunity.com/ideas/FRG-I-1063 the rest of this post was just an attempt to try to explain why it currently isn't possible :ph34r:

Cutting corners!!!  My explanation for the need to fix assignments in the first place... o and the need to plug https://ideas.frogcommunity.com/ideas/FRG-I-1063!!!! :P

On 21/09/2017 at 13:14, Matt said:

As well as Graham's workaround above, like Tom has said you have the option to 're-issue' the Assignment which will create a copy of the current assignment, but allow you to change everything before sending it out (add the missing resources for example) and then close and delete the original assignment. If you do this quick enough it should ensure you don't have any students attempting the homework. However even if you don't do it quick enough, and a student attempts it before you do this, I don't see much difference between that and if you were able to edit the activity / resource on the original assignment anyway?

By the way....  reissuing doesn't work either!!  You cant change the activity or resources!! >:(