Custom Databases

Marcus Goluch

1 hour ago, Graham Quince said:

Ah right.  I'll ask, but the only thing with Credits that I know of is the FrogPlay credits.  So it's either that or some never released functionality.

I don't believe there is an external version of the category API.  If you can't call the existing one after authenticating in, then I think you'll need to put it on the Ideas Portal. 

Confirmed - the credits api refers to FrogPlay

And

When we say "External APIs", it is referring to APIs that we as a company do not change.  these are APIs external users can use.  Internal APIs might be adapted by our developers and while ideally you wouldn't use these, there is nothing stopping an outside of the platform, authenticated call from using them.    Just be aware that Internal APIs are subject to change.

@Graham Quince Can you please verify I am doing this correctly since all the internal API (2) calls just seem to hang and i never get a response.

I am trying to query users.getDataInCategory as you sugested.

MIS data is located under uuid 66851A4F2004C1C988B59F411F928605CB7D97BCEDF3177F.

So, I am sending a GET request to https://<frog-server-address>/api/2/

with the following parameters:

method: users.getDataInCategory
_device_class: computer
user_uuid: <Put student frog uuid here>
uuid: 66851A4F2004C1C988B59F411F928605CB7D97BCEDF3177F

This means that the request should look this this:

https://<frog-server-address>/api/2/?method=users.getDataInCategory&_device_class=computer&user_uuid=EXAMPLE&uuid=66851A4F2004C1C988B59F411F928605CB7D97BCEDF3177F

I also have the oAuth 1.0 headers that are working for the external API (1).

But yet I get no response and it just hangs, any sugestions?

Ok, hold onto your hat @Graham Quince because your now heading into one of my rabbit holes.

So, firstly I have a function that uses the node js request library to make an API call on the Frog 1 API.

This takes an API endpoints url and creates the API request with the oauth headers.

const fCallAPI = (sToken, sTokenSecret, sMethod, sURL, oParams = { }, fDone) => {

let oConfig = pFrogApi.config.get();

oPrototype.request(`${oConfig.oauth.frogsite}/${sURL}`,
			{
				method: sMethod,
				oauth:
				{
					consumer_key: oConfig.oauth.clientid,
					consumer_secret: oConfig.oauth.clientsecret,
					token: sToken,
					token_secret: sTokenSecret
				},
				headers:
				{
					"X-AuthType": "oauth_1_0_a"
				},
				qs: oParams,
				json: true
			},
			(err, req, body) => {
				if (!fDone) return;
				if (err || !body) fDone(`Frog API error '${sURL}'`);
				if (body.status == "error") return fDone(`Frog API error '${sURL}' ` + body.response.message);
				fDone(null, body.response);
			}
		);

};

And this function works perfectly, no issues (example).

const fUserByID = (sToken, sTokenSecret, sID, fDone) => {
		fCallAPI(sToken, sTokenSecret, "GET", "api/fdp/2/user/get", {uuid: sID}, fDone);
	};

So, now I have a second function to call the Frog 2 API, by creating the request information and passing it to the Frog 1 API function .

const fCallAPI2 = (sToken, sTokenSecret, sMethod, sFunction, oParams = { }, fDone) => {

fCallAPI(sToken, sTokenSecret, sMethod, "api/2/",
			Object.assign({
				method: sFunction,
				_v: "2010_0_20",
			}, oParams),
		fDone);

};

How ever when I call this function I never get a response, instead it just hangs.

fCallAPI2(sToken, sTokenSecret, "GET", "users.getDataInCategory", {
	_device_class: "computer",
	user_uuid: sUserUUID,
	uuid: "66851A4F2004C1C988B59F411F928605CB7D97BCEDF3177F"
},
(oErr, oResults) => {
	console.log("ERROR ", oErr);
	console.log("RESULTS ", oResults);
});

@Graham Quince

The category uuid for the MIS data was not easy to locate and I will assume it is a different UUID per server.

The idea of the platform I am creating is for it to be used by other schools and thus I need a solution for finding the correct category with out user input.

I am not liking the idea of writing an installation manual that says fire up Google chromes networking console and reverse engineer an internal API call.

Is there a way for me to look up that uuid for mis data if not can an endpoint for it be added?

13 minutes ago, Marcus Goluch said:

@Graham Quince

The category uuid for the MIS data was not easy to locate and I will assume it is a different UUID per server.

The idea of the platform I am creating is for it to be used by other schools and thus I need a solution for finding the correct category with out user input.

I am not liking the idea of writing an installation manual that says fire up Google chromes networking console and reverse engineer an internal API call.

Is there a way for me to look up that uuid for mis data if not can an endpoint for it be added?

Hi

UPN is available via a simple call:

var user = FrogOS ? FrogOS.getUser() : this.getUser(),
    upn = user.pupil_number;

And email and username are also included in getUser();  I take it you're after the MIS ID instead?

users.getOne is returns a lot of information about the user, including the category UUIDs when you first look at a user in the Users app.

users_getone.PNG

Thank you

That sounds like exactly what I need, just out of curiosity do we have a function that returns the same data as users.getOne but for all users?

I am writing up a sync task and the less api calls the better, otherwise I am going to have to do 1 API and 1 MYSQL call per user. Whilst this is the nature of such applications, short cuts are always welcome.

Edited by Marcus Goluch

2 hours ago, Marcus Goluch said:

Thank you

That sounds like exactly what I need, just out of curiosity do we have a function that returns the same data as users.getOne but for all users?

I am writing up a sync task and the less api calls the better, otherwise I am going to have to do 1 API and 1 MYSQL call per user. Whilst this is the nature of such applications, short cuts are always welcome.

Not sure what you mean about all users.  Looking at the API calls I can see (not directly at the codebase) it looks like you do need a user UUID for this.  The Categories returned with fields based on the user (probably a bit of forward planning so that different categories are return on different set ups).

If you find the uuid of the student profile group you could use one of the group apis to return all students. You might need to call a second api to get the specific details about the student you want (can’t remember what attributes are  returned in the group api) but you can do this in batches rather than one at a time.

You will have to go deep into promises and asynchronous code for this - argh!

• Thanks 1