Help with new assignment notifications

pconkie

Question

Capture.PNG.f45ceb7fc0054d0da2fd0f4ac0f05bf0.PNG

Must admit, not really used assignments before so this probably isn't a new release thing...just trying to figure these numbers out......

Submitted 1/16

I get this I think, but there are only 15 students in the class - when i go into the assignment and count those listed just to make sure, there are definitely 15.  So why does it say 16?

Ok, this I can't figure out.  What does the 3 mean?  

Any help greatly appreciated!

P

6 answers to this question

Good morning pconkie

Does the group contain any users other than students? The easiest way to find out would be to use the Group's and Policies app. This will give you a list of all the users with in the group. My instinct is telling me there may be a "Staff" profiled user in that group, this could be causing some conflict but with out investigating it is hard to provide an answer. 

Regarding the "3",  this refers to what is ready for marking with-in that assignment. So if a student submits an activity this will be ready for marking and if a student completes (Hands-In) the assignment this will also be ready for marking. As you mark work the number will update to indicate what is outstanding.

Hope this helps and i look forward to your reply.

Samuel

• Like 1

4 hours ago, samueljamesoxley said:

Good morning pconkie

Does the group contain any users other than students? The easiest way to find out would be to use the Group's and Policies app. This will give you a list of all the users with in the group. My instinct is telling me there may be a "Staff" profiled user in that group, this could be causing some conflict but with out investigating it is hard to provide an answer. 

Regarding the "3",  this refers to what is ready for marking with-in that assignment. So if a student submits an activity this will be ready for marking and if a student completes (Hands-In) the assignment this will also be ready for marking. As you mark work the number will update to indicate what is outstanding.

Hope this helps and i look forward to your reply.

Samuel

Thanks for this reply.

Having looked at Groups and Policies app as you suggest I think something else is happening. I think this because I am listed in the group as the "leader" but this is true for all my groups and other assignments show this number correctly.  What i think has happened is we had a new student join the class late (change of option choices).  He was originally not in the group because the mis link had not run. I added him as an individual student to the assignment and subsequent to this the MIS link has run and added him as part of the group too.  So the number is correct in so much as this is the number of students who have been assigned, it's just that one student is listed once but counted twice.

Regarding the "3".  The assignment has one activity - to upload a file.  As the teacher i could not see any uploaded files yesterday.  This morning the number changed to 4 and i could see a file for this student.  After talking to this student the difference seems to be that they pressed the "complete assignment" button and the others didn't.

To confirm the expected work-flow:

1. Student uploads file to filedrop and stops - should the teacher see anything in assignments app? I think - no.

2. Student uploads file and presses the blue "submit activity" button - should teacher see anything? I would expect to see the uploaded file and that these are the steps necessary to increment the number we are discussing.  But i'm not sure this is working correctly?

3. Student uploads file and presses the blue "submit activity" button and then presses the blue "complete assignment" button.  - I think i only see the file uploaded when this process is followed. Of course this is only based on what students have said to me!

Any calcification would be useful for the staff training event i have in two weeks time.

Thank you

3 hours ago, adamw said:

Yes, this is really useful! Thank you.  Just to reiterate though - when i posted it said "3" and there was in-fact nothing available to mark! As per post above i'm looking for clarification that in a filedrop activity when does the file become available for marking as it doesn't seem to match this number.  Thanks. P.