Question about setting up Parent Accouts

pconkie

Question

I have 4000 parents accounts.  300 of these have non unique email addresses.  

I want to use the "forgot password" method described in the tutorial for disseminating account details to parents.

Can i do any of the following things:

1. Archive half the parent accounts, so that each family uses one set of account details.  This would solve all of my 'duplicate email' issues (would frog then send emails if a parent clicked the forgot password link?) and make the users app run much faster! But they are all current parents, so they are all MIS linked. The next time the frog extractor ran would all those archived accounts re-appear?

2. Go into each of the 300 accounts with a duplicate email and delete the email and then re-save the user.  The next time the frog extractor ran would all those duplicate emails re-appear? I've tried this on one account but I wasnt able to save the user with a blank email!

Or do i need to look up each parent one at a time in SIMS and remove the duplicate email in there.  Will the frog extractor then pull through 'blank' emails for those affected parents?

Thanks

Paul

6 answers to this question

On 08/09/2017 at 17:33, pconkie said:

I want to use the "forgot password" method described in the tutorial for disseminating account details to parents.

1. Archive half the parent accounts, so that each family uses one set of account details.  This would solve all of my 'duplicate email' issues (would frog then send emails if a parent clicked the forgot password link?) and make the users app run much faster! But they are all current parents, so they are all MIS linked. The next time the frog extractor ran would all those archived accounts re-appear?

2. Go into each of the 300 accounts with a duplicate email and delete the email and then re-save the user.  The next time the frog extractor ran would all those duplicate emails re-appear? I've tried this on one account but I wasnt able to save the user with a blank email!

Or do i need to look up each parent one at a time in SIMS and remove the duplicate email in there.  Will the frog extractor then pull through 'blank' emails for those affected parents?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

1. If you archived half of the parent accounts, the half that is archived will be out of the way and the MIS link will remain (so no new users created on the next import). If  the Frog extraction took place but did not affect the archived accounts, the password reset notification could possibly pick up the archived users duplicate email address which could cause the password reset email to not be sent out - I will get all this double checked on Monday by one of our Frog developers.

EDIT:  The developers have confirmed that if the email address is still attached to the parent accounts, the forgotten password reset function would not work as expected as it would then be looking at two different details for a users on one email address, which would probably stop the email from being sent out. They have advised it would be best to just manage the email in SIMS, therefore, removing the email address ion SIMS for the duplicate parents. 

2. If you delete the email addresses within the Users Application, the next SIMS extraction would populate the emails again once imported into Frog overnight.

I would recommend that the safest way would be removing the duplicate emails in SIMS as this would normally be the process. Whenever a user is MIS linked, the management of that user would be within your SIMS, rather than Frog.

As I previously advised, I will get the points I made in method one confirmed first on Monday.

If you have any further questions until then, please do not hesitate to ask, have a good weekend otherwise:)

14 hours ago, pconkie said:

Thanks

Paul

Erm in SIMs could you could get the list of priority parents (the first contacts ones) then only send them a letter with the username!!  It wouldn't matter about having loads of accounts on Frog...  because you only give out one account per student!!!

It's a shame you can't limit the SIMs extractor to just the priority account!!  Some of our kids have granny's.... uncles...  the bin man..  down on SIMs and it creates accounts for them all!!!!

That's what we do anyway!!!! :D

@ADT that's what I'd like to do, but apparently if mum has same email as dad, even if I've only sent a letter to mum, the "I've forgotten my password" link on the homepage won't work!

Yes, much better if the extractor could be a bit more picky about who gets an account made. shame I can never get the ideas portal to work!

1 hour ago, pconkie said:

@ADT that's what I'd like to do, but apparently if mum has same email as dad, even if I've only sent a letter to mum, the "I've forgotten my password" link on the homepage won't work!

Yes, much better if the extractor could be a bit more picky about who gets an account made. shame I can never get the ideas portal to work!

Ah...  see wouldn't know about the FrogLearn Password Link!!  The Frog3 version asks for a Username and then emails the password to the stored email address for that account!!

On 09/09/2017 at 1:21 PM, pconkie said:

I have updated my response to you above as I have now spoken with the developers. 

• Thanks 1