eportfolio collections

pdurber

Question

Hi

I've taken over the appraisal process, which was set up in Frog last year by a member of staff who has left.

I'd like to show each line manager the list of the Collections that they are managing rather than having to go into Frog Drive to view them. Is there a "collections" widget like the "eportfolio list"? or has anyone got a suggestion as to how I could do this.

Thank you in advance.

17 answers to this question

4 hours ago, pdurber said:

Hi

I've taken over the appraisal process, which was set up in Frog last year by a member of staff who has left.

I'd like to show each line manager the list of the Collections that they are managing rather than having to go into Frog Drive to view them. Is there a "collections" widget like the "eportfolio list"? or has anyone got a suggestion as to how I could do this.

Thank you in advance.

Hi @pdurber

Happy to give you a proper training session over a screenshare if you like.  But to answer your question - the site list widget will only show you appraisal sites you have access to.  So for a department manager, the page called Appraisals will only list their team.  For you as an admin, it will list everyone's site.

So, I'm thinking this wasn't set up correctly then. The site list widget shows my personal e-portfolio only, to get to ones I line manage I need to go into Frog drive to see them.

Screenshare sounds like a good idea. When would be convenient?

@Graham Quince

Some extensive investigation later........

I can get lists of the eportfolios using the "Site List" widget and a keyword. But not the "eportfolios list" widget ????  Bizarre.

The guy who set this up appears to have done it twice. If I log in as a member of staff to see what they can view, there's 2 appraisal sites showing, one completed, one not. But I, as administrator, can only get to the current one, not to the one that I would need to delete in order to tidy things up - suggestions please.

The system uses "walls" to record the individuals objectives, which I can't collect together at all. Even if I go into each individual staff members site??  How can I manage this better? Surely a form would be better? As it stands I would have to sit with a bit of paper, go into each person's objectives and tick off whether they've completed them and whether they were appropriate?

In order to add this year's objectives to the menu I need the staff to be able to view the "appraisal management" site? or else do each individual one myself, or am I missing something?

Happy to do a screenshare/Teams meeting.

Hi @pdurber

The ePortfolio List widget is in the Advanced Category.

eportfolio list.PNG

The system does use Walls, as this information should be unique to the individual.  I know a few schools who have swapped out the walls for central forms - but this does limit who can access what information.  A line manager is unable to access their staff's appraisals when using forms, unless they are sitting with their appraisee.

I'll email you and we can have a proper discussion.

Graham

@Graham Quince

"The ePortfolio List widget is in the Advanced Category" - yes I know, but at the moment it only shows my own eportfolio, not the ones I line manage (2nd list in screenshot obtained using the "Site List" widget and keyword, which also shows the "Appraisal Management" site to all staff.)

image.thumb.png.c1c98c77bf22f563ced3cc7a75618eb8.png

Hi @pdurber

Sorry, my mistake.   The ePortfolio List widget will only show your eportfolios (or in the case of parents, their children's eportfolios).  However, as ePortfolios are essentially sites, the Site List widget will show you all sites which match the search criteria that you have access to.

For a Maths teachers, the site list widget above would list their eportfolio only

For the head of Maths, it would list all the maths teachers

For the head of school, it would list all appraisal sites.

If you edit the widget to include the Search option, you can also search by department to see all the appraisals for a department.

• Thanks 1

Excellent. I'll use just the site widget then, that works as long as I can remove staff from the list of people "Appraisal Management" is shared with.

In the version that I want to use there's a "duplicate page" action button that allows the user to set up the next year's appraisal targets from a page hidden in the Management site, do they have to have sharing rights to that site to be able to duplicate the page, if so, I'll have to have a think about where I store it.

@Graham Quince Thanks for all the advice yesterday, it helped immensely.

And thank you to Amber for adding the extra page to all the existing portfolios. ?

Did you put a ticket in about the duplicate sites showing? I haven't received anything.

Edited by pdurber

2 hours ago, pdurber said:

@Graham Quince Thanks for all the advice yesterday, it helped immensely.

And thank you to Amber for adding the extra page to all the existing portfolios. ?

Did you put a ticket in about the duplicate sites showing? I haven't received anything.

Hi @pdurber

Things got a little busy yesterday.  Ticket created for you now

• Thanks 1

@Graham Quince Thanks for sorting our ghost portfolios, all looking fine now.

Hi. Been playing with our system again, so have a couple more questions. Is it possible to get to the data in a form using API's?

My thinking is that I'd really like a central form to collect, firstly the line manager signing off the appraisal targets at the beginning of the year, then a second signing off part way through the year to say they had been revisited and the staff member had reviewed/commented on their targets, then finally at the end of the appraisal period to say whether each target had been fully/partially/not met.

This would require a "single entry form" indexed on the line manager and the member of staff. Which at the moment it can't do. However, if I can get to the data I can search the two fields and at least display the results for the line manger and collect a list without too much admin faff.

Or is my thinking a bit pie in the sky?

The second question is : Can I just duplicate the teachers appraisal system and call it something different for our support staff appraisal. The targets/structure would obviously be different, hence thinking I'd have a second separate system

Edited by pdurber

Hi @pdurber

You're welcome, happy to help.

To answer your questions, yes, all the visible elements of Frog are accessed through APIs, so it is possible to use a browser's developer console to identify the API and write code to display the information using HTML widgets and/or Frogcode.  Of course, it's simple to say, but can be a little tricky to get the final result.

I have a tutorial on using Frog's APIs which might be helpful: https://www.frogeducation.com/community/training/html-tutorials/apis

Having said that, your idea might be possible using the current widgets.  The User Selector field in a form will allow you to email the individual selected (the line manager).  The Form can be set to Single Submission in the advanced settings and allow the user to edit their entry.  Line Managers would be able to view all their Mentions using the Form's access control.

Regarding using Appraisal for Support Staff - yes it's relatively simply to duplicate the system, although there are some nested widgets and the Action Button which point to the Appraisal hub.  So when you duplicate the sites, you'll need to edit the ePortfolio "template" to make those changes.  Fortunately in editing mode, these are a more obvious.

@Graham Quince "Having said that, your idea might be possible using the current widgets." ?

" The User Selector field in a form will allow you to email the individual selected (the line manager). " - I think you mean the user is entering that they have completed creating the appraisal targets (at the beginning of the process) and they select their line manager using the user picker??  (I was envisioning the other way round as the line manager has to to the signing off- but it might work)

"he Form can be set to Single Submission in the advanced settings and allow the user to edit their entry.  Line Managers would be able to view all their Mentions using the Form's access control." - This is the bit I don't understand - not yet seen the point of access control in forms as I can't get it to do anything useful - is there an explanation somewhere?

Thanks, as ever, very useful

The User Selector field in a form will allow you to email the individual selected (the line manager). " - I think you mean the user is entering that they have completed creating the appraisal targets (at the beginning of the process) and they select their line manager using the user picker??  (I was envisioning the other way round as the line manager has to to the signing off- but it might work)

Hi @pdurber

Yes, you can use the User Select widget in this way round too, the individual can be allowed to View their Mentions in the Form's Access Control.

"The Form can be set to Single Submission in the advanced settings and allow the user to edit their entry.  Line Managers would be able to view all their Mentions using the Form's access control." - This is the bit I don't understand - not yet seen the point of access control in forms as I can't get it to do anything useful - is there an explanation somewhere?

Thanks, as ever, very useful

There's this video about Access Control that might help: https://www.frogeducation.com/community/training/forms/formsdatasecurityakaaccesscontrol

Hi @Graham Quince. The system seems to be working OK, just ironing out a few issue with using a wall to collect the information, lots of staff are not ticking the "show to others" checkbox, which is giving some consternation. In the latest template I'm trying to disable that feature.

The biggest problem I'm having is that line managers are completing the "Appraisal Sign Off" form for their staff. Which means that they are filling in their own sign off. Despite instructions not to. What would be useful would be a bit of HTML that either set the form to read only, or didn't display it at all in the following condition:-

The site (eportfolio) was NOT the one for the person who had opened it.

The Access control seems to be working properly now, which makes it easy for line managers to view all their staff's sign off forms. ?

Some indication how to pick up the API's for the viewer and form would be useful I think. I have an IT teacher who can probably sort the code given some background info.

Thanks

Hi @pdurber

This function will return information about the logged in user:

var user = FrogOS ? FrogOS.getUser() : this.getUser(); 

To get the recipient of the ePortfolio in the past, I've had to resort to using the site's title:

var siteName = this.element.closest('.sites-site-content').data('site-name'),
    siteNameArray = siteName.split(' - '),
    recipientUsername = siteNameArray[2]; // assuming this format: "ePortfolio - display name - username"

The API I have been using to get entries in a Form is dataviewer.gettable

Below is a basic example of calling that API and getting the individual fields:

function refresh(view) {
    var formUUID = '3F4957182003E16152462FD0DD2B89059BC02E8CDD9BD20A';

Frog.Model.api('dataviewer.gettable', {
        content_uuid: formUUID,
        current_user_only: false,
        form_uuid: formUUID,
        limit: 50,
        module: 'form',
        offset: '0',
        sort_dir: 'DESC',
        sort_field: 'date'
    }).done(function(response) {
        //console.log(response);
        var entries = response.data;
        $.each(entries, function(index,entry) {
            console.log(entry);
            var recipient = entry.fields[0].responses[0].response,
                score = entry.fields[1].responses[0].response;
        }.bind(this));
    }.bind(this)).fail(function(e) {
        // Report Error
        console.log("failed");
    });
}

That looks good. Thank you.

I've embedded the "sign off" forms into the objectives page. So if I pick up the appraisal site for someone I line manage (lets call him Bob), I can read their objectives and actions etc. which they should have entered before our meeting.

However, the sign off form will not be the entry for Bob, but mine. Does the routine above align the form I can see on my screen to Bob's entry, so I could enter data onto his form, or just get the data from Bob's record and show it on the screen?

If it was the latter, it would probably be better if the form is just not shown to me the line manager. I get a confirmation email anyway.

Talking to line managers today, they find the concept confusing.

They can see why I'm trying to get Bob to fill out all the information onto his own form, even if they have to dictate it. Then Bob will have complete ownership of his own appraisal process and there can't be any arguments down the line about whether an objective was fully met or not.

Below are a couple of screenshots to help, because I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well.

Objective and form in edit mode.PNG

Objective and form in use mode.PNG