Student digital notes

mhamilton

I am constantly trying to find ways to reduce the use of paper throughout the schools.  With that in mind I decided to allow students to use their O365 accounts to create a OneNote Digital notes book under the OneNote Classnotebook section where I could review their notes online at any point in time.  With that in mind, I am wondering how other teachers might be tackling the "paper wasting syndrome" and if Frog has any solutions or suggestions using their platform.  I liked the structure of Frog 3 and how you could share lesson plan material but find FrogLearn a little less friendly in this manner. Also, it would be great to set an assignment that could be saved to a student folder in Frog which is really a lesson template with the resources attached and maybe the ability for them to add notes.  It would be able to stay in their folder even if the assignment was closed.  Maybe there is a way to do this that I am not aware of? 

Maybe a way for them to create a subject Notes page and embed my lesson and resources in it....  just throwing out ideas for discussion.

Thanks

frog3_lesson2.png

frog3_lesson.png

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @mhamilton,

I'm hearing from a few schools at the moment about OneNote and I believe we're looking at those features once O365 is integrated.

Most schools I visit use a site to share teaching resources, some on the lesson plan level, others will use a site as a module and have pages for each lesson.  You can use either a file drop as you have done, or a shared folder and shared folder widget - this will give you a similar look to the Frog3 page you attached.

When you say you find FrogLearn a little less friendly for sharing, can you elaborate?  When I was in school I found the permissions model really clunkly.  Is it is case that you're used to that, or something more specific?  

The assignments system does create folders in a way, they just don't show up in FrogDrive.  This is to do with the sharing settings.  You don't want students being able to see others' work, so it is hidden in assignment manager.  If you add a file drop to an assignment, students can upload their work.  And you can create a site then assign that too, so rather than just the assignment and instructions, you can include teaching material. 

(Assigning a site makes copies of the original site, which means you can't make changes once assigned, but if you use the Nested Page and shared folder widgets, you can update assignment resources).

Between shared folders and the assignments closed tab, students would be able to access all the resources still.

And just one last thing, here's a sneak peek at the new ePortfolio functionality we're developing for the next release.  ePortfolios allow you to make duplicates of sites per student, without using the assigning system and displaying them as groups within FrogDrive

• Like 2

This video on the e-Portfolios looks very interesting.  Just wondering if there are any pdf sneak peeks of this so that I can share with some departments the screenshots and how it might work for them rather than the more technical creation of the sites in the video? Thanks

Love the e-Portfolio idea.  The concept has so much potential.  Is it possible for students to add their own widgets or content once you have created the duplicate for them  If you give them edit and manage rights when setting up will this only allow them to create on their own site if they want to make adjustments to the content by adding more widgets.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mhamilton said:

Love the e-Portfolio idea.  The concept has so much potential.  Is it possible for students to add their own widgets or content once you have created the duplicate for them  If you give them edit and manage rights when setting up will this only allow them to create on their own site if they want to make adjustments to the content by adding more widgets.

Yes, absolutely.  if you choose to give students edit and manage rights they can change everything about the site.  So, new pages, other widgets etc...