Widget that is "widget-aware"

pconkie

Sharing this in case it is of use to anybody else.....

I've been looking at creating a widget that is aware of and can interact with other widgets around it.

As a test case I've made a "class discussion" widget that is like a forum, but only for members of a pre-determined class. Even then, some members of the class are allowed to see what others are writing and others are not. Some get a writing frame to structure their response and others don't. 

This widget needs to "take over" a forum widget in order to save the settings I've mentioned and also to save the students responses. However I want to avoid having to use the console to inspect the forum and go hunting for it's uuid. 

So far I've got this....

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QYvi40BJqDSWI5dWZOZmJPUlE

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 22:01, pconkie said:

I've been looking at creating a widget that is aware of and can interact with other widgets around it.

As a test case I've made a "class discussion" widget that is like a forum, but only for members of a pre-determined class. Even then, some members of the class are allowed to see what others are writing and others are not. Some get a writing frame to structure their response and others don't. 

This widget needs to "take over" a forum widget in order to save the settings I've mentioned and also to save the students responses. However I want to avoid having to use the console to inspect the forum and go hunting for it's uuid. 

So far I've got this....

Shouldn't you be doing timetables or something??? :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/07/2017 at 22:01, pconkie said:

So far I've got this....

On 09/07/2017 at 10:10, Graham Quince said:

A widget preference to select another widget would be really useful.   If you post it on the ideas portal, I'll get interest going in the office.

@Chris.Smith - Is a widget preference like this is possible?

@pconkie, @Graham Quince,

It's pretty niche, a better approach would be for @Graham Quince to convince the management to let us open source the Forum widget as a FrogCode widget thus allowing @pconkie to copy it, and update it to his own needs.

However, if you want to go down the preference route, then there are a copy of approaches I can think of. The best would be to add a hidden preference to the widget, and then in edit mode get the user to click on the widget they want the "Class Discussion" widget to listen to. You could then store its content uuid in the hidden preference's value attribute.

Let me know how you get on,

~ Chris

1 hour ago, Chris.Smith said:

It's pretty niche, a better approach would be for @Graham Quince to convince the management to let us open source the Forum widget as a FrogCode widget thus allowing @pconkie to copy it, and update it to his own needs.

I prefer this approach! What do you think @Graham Quince?!

Edited by pconkie

Will you lot just get a room................  somewhere dark...  with cans of Red Bull...  somewhere you can grow your hair long....  and not wash... Somewhere networked so you can play games together.... and Pizza Hut on speed dial!!!!! :P

• Haha 1