How can I get an email when students send me a message from the Assignment wall?

K.Ermit

You can be notified by email for all activity to do with Assignments.  

To do so, open the Profile menu in the FrogBar and select My Preferences.   Within the Notifications open here, you can set Assignments to email you.  This will send emails when students ask questions via the wall, upload and hand in work.

You can find out more about My Preferences from this video:

https://www.frogeducation.com/community/training/gettingstarted/teachers/preferences

Email Rules

I appreciate setting notifications to email you about anything to do with Assignments could produce a lot of emails.  We are looking at possible development around this, but in the meantime, you can set Rules in Outlook based on email content.

Web Portal

• From the Outlook.office.com web page, click on the Cog in the top blue bar (on the right-hand side)
  • Search for Rules
    rules 1.JPG
  • Select Inbox Rules
  • Click + Add New Rule
  • Set a From condition to be noreply@frogmailer.com (this may be different depending on your school's Frog server)
  • Add another condition
  • Choose Subject includes
  • In the box type: [Assignments]
  • In Add an Action, set the dropdown to Mark as read
  • In Add an exception (optional), select Message body includes
  • Type: You have received a message
  • Uncheck Stop processing more rules
  • Click Save

This will mark all Assignment emails as read, unless they are generated by a student leaving a message on an assignment wall.

rules 2.JPG

Outlook program

The email program is a different layout, but the Rules Wizard has the same options as above.  You can find this from the File menu called Rules and Alerts.

There is more about the Rules Wizard on Microsoft's website:

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/manage-email-messages-by-using-rules-c24f5dea-9465-4df4-ad17-a50704d66c59

On 11/04/2020 at 12:49, pconkie said:

@Graham Quince how do you enable the notifications section of the my preferences app in the first place?  I have had a look in the group policy section and all of the relevant apis seem to be enabled...

So you cant see the notification bit at all???

By the way have you seen this... 

On 11/04/2020 at 12:49, pconkie said:

@Graham Quince how do you enable the notifications section of the my preferences app in the first place?  I have had a look in the group policy section and all of the relevant apis seem to be enabled...

Hi @pconkie

Sorry, I couldn't get access to your platform until this morning.  I've checked with an admin account and I can see My Preferences in the Profile menu:

myprefs.JPG

8 hours ago, Graham Quince said:

Hi @pconkie

Sorry, I couldn't get access to your platform until this morning.  I've checked with an admin account and I can see My Preferences in the Profile menu:

myprefs.JPG

Hi @Graham Quince

Thanks for this.  It's just that non of the teachers can see this at all (they don't even see the notifications tab (no third step to click).

This includes my teacher account (rather than my admin account).  

Push notifications - they work, do they?

Thanks

Paul

2 minutes ago, pconkie said:

Hi @Graham Quince

Thanks for this.  It's just that non of the teachers can see this at all (they don't even see the notifications tab (no third step to click).

This includes my teacher account (rather than my admin account).  

Push notifications - they work, do they?

Thanks

Paul

Hi @pconkie

I didn't even spot that Push Notifications were visible there.   No, they do not work.  I'm not sure why you';re seeing that column - I'll create a ticket for you to get that corrected.

I see that for your Teaching account, Manage Notification Preferences has been deactivated by the settings in the FrogCode group.

If you email me some of your non=teacher names I can check their accounts using.  The Troubleshoot tab in Groups and Policies is really handy for this.

Graham

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Graham Quince said:

Quick update - it looks like Manage Push Notifications is also a preference in Groups and Policies and was activated for the Admin profile.  I've turned it off for now as I am certain configuring these changes nothing.

Graham

So when will this actually work....  

14 hours ago, ADT said:

So when will this actually work....  

My understanding is that the "plumbing" was never put in for this - so while you can see the switches there's no connections to anything.  In terms of making this work it would be a whole project in itself.

I had a quick look, but couldn't see an existing suggestion on the Ideas Portal: https://www.frogcommunity.com/ideas-portal

4 hours ago, Graham Quince said:

My understanding is that the "plumbing" was never put in for this - so while you can see the switches there's no connections to anything.  In terms of making this work it would be a whole project in itself.

I had a quick look, but couldn't see an existing suggestion on the Ideas Portal: https://www.frogcommunity.com/ideas-portal

The plumbing been there for ages... ?

1 hour ago, ADT said:

Turns out it was working but I had filters on my inbox to move emails from Frog to a folder!!  

Should it be instant?

No - to prevent spamming and constant emailing, there is a little delay  - I can't remember if it's 5, 15 or 45 minutes.

2 minutes ago, Graham Quince said:

No - to prevent spamming and constant emailing, there is a little delay  - I can't remember if it's 5, 15 or 45 minutes.

That also explains why I didn’t spot it when I was testing it!! 

It seams to be at least an hour!!