File Types that students can be electronically marked

pdurber

47 minutes ago, gbligh said:

@Graham Quince - Frog Feedback tool?

If they are using Feedback... then it should allow PDFs Word PowerPoint Pictures!!

its not instance the files have to be converted!!  And I’ve had issues with some files not working.... I think it’s something to do with special characters in file names with it being web based!!

18 hours ago, pdurber said:

Yes, if we set them a piece of work, maybe in a Office file of some description. How can they return it to us so that we can mark it in Frog Markbook online?

Hi @pdurber

The guys are right, Frog Feedback takes a document and converts it to a set of images, which you can then add comments, highlights and stickers too.

The following documents types are supported by the Feedback application:
•    Text documents - .txt
•    Word Documents - .doc / .docx
•    PowerPoint Documents - .ppt / .pptx
•    Portable Document Format - .pdf
•    Images - .jpg / .jpeg / .png / .gif
•    Rich Text Format - .rtf

However, Feedback is a qualitative tool - working through all a class' hand-ins can take you sometime.  Students can see this feedback from you at any time.  This webinar shows you the sort of thing you can do - Feedback is discussed from the 45 minute mark:

https://www.frogeducation.com/community/events/webinars/homework-webinar

-

You can collect in any file type from students, you may need to add some file type to a white list in System Preferences:

https://www.frogeducation.com/community/training/administratortraining/systempreferences/filetypes

All files for a class can be downloaded in a batch and unzipped on your local computer.  You can use the assignment wall to comment back to a student.  You can reopen an individual's assignment, so they can hand-in new versions.

Unfortunately, you cannot return marked document to a child via Frog Assignments.

If the work is ongoing, you probably want to consider using ePortfolios instead.  These allow for documents to be sent back-and-forth, each of you can comment.  You can use tools such as the Set Keyword widget (or FrogCode Set Keyword and Email - https://www.frogeducation.com/community/frogcode/frogcode-showcase/set-keyword-email ) to trigger changes in state.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Graham Quince said:

Unfortunately, you cannot return marked document to a child via Frog Assignments.

@Graham Quince - we are planning to use this heavily soon. We will mainly be using the Text Activity widget. Can this be marked and sent back to the student?

19 minutes ago, gbligh said:

@Graham Quince - we are planning to use this heavily soon. We will mainly be using the Text Activity widget. Can this be marked and sent back to the student?

I have just tested this and it seems to work fine - although, when I close the assignment and go back in as a student, I can see the feedback but I can also add my own feedback? Is that right?

44 minutes ago, gbligh said:

Hi @gbligh

And everyone.

What i mean by a marked document is an document downloaded from Frog, annotated (or marked) and saved. 

Collecting in work via the Text Activity Widget will be able to be marked in the Feedback app.

Hope that make sense.

I also noted that Feedback was allowing students to add comments.  I asked the question recently, but then the current situation happened - so i don't have a response for you on the "rightness" of that element at the moment.   I do know that teachers are not notified of new comments within Feedback - you'll need to advise students not to use that to ask questions, reply etc...

17 minutes ago, pdurber said:

OK, I thought I's show you folks what is happening. Follow this link to see a quick video outlining th eproblem.

https://fromecommunitycollgege-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/pdurber_fromecollege_org/EWhMl-CikIJIpN2rygIkCAQByVgVlFX1K-k_O3Z9ancIsA?e=ajEzIi

Any ideas? or am I missing the point completely.

Hi @pdurber

thanjs, that video clears things up. You should be seeing a document there, but instead have a broken image link.  I’ll report to the service desk in the morning and we’ll get this investigated.

Sorry you’ve been struggling with this.

2 hours ago, pdurber said:

OK, I thought I's show you folks what is happening. Follow this link to see a quick video outlining th eproblem.

https://fromecommunitycollgege-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/pdurber_fromecollege_org/EWhMl-CikIJIpN2rygIkCAQByVgVlFX1K-k_O3Z9ancIsA?e=ajEzIi

It’s not an instant thing...  once you’ve uploaded a file it take a while to convert to be viewable!!!  I could be wrong but it seams to be taking a lot longer to convert the files than normal!!!!

@Graham Quinceis the conversion done on the server or somewhere else????  It might have something to do with lots of schools using it a lot more than usual? 

I might be talking rubbish here but hey it is almost 1am!!! ?

11 hours ago, ADT said:

It’s not an instant thing...  once you’ve uploaded a file it take a while to convert to be viewable!!!  I could be wrong but it seams to be taking a lot longer to convert the files than normal!!!!

@Graham Quinceis the conversion done on the server or somewhere else????  It might have something to do with lots of schools using it a lot more than usual? 

I might be talking rubbish here but hey it is almost 1am!!! ?

The conversion service is on your server, and it works through all the uploaded documents as they arrive, but it only processes so many at once. If there are a load more conversions than normal, the service may take a while to get through them all.

Also, I have seen the conversion service get 'stuck' on a file before - which can prevent further conversions from occouring - especially if there are some massive files coming in. It's rare - I've only seen it happen twice in three years - but if you find that the conversions don't seem to be happening, then contact the service desk as they can use their diagnostic tools to have a look at the current queue and can remove any problem files from the conversion queue.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, adamw said:

The conversion service is on your server, and it works through all the uploaded documents as they arrive, but it only processes so many at once. If there are a load more conversions than normal, the service may take a while to get through them all.

Also, I have seen the conversion service get 'stuck' on a file before - which can prevent further conversions from occouring - especially if there are some massive files coming in. It's rare - I've only seen it happen twice in three years - but if you find that the conversions don't seem to be happening, then contact the service desk as they can use their diagnostic tools to have a look at the current queue and can remove any problem files from the conversion queue.

Of course it is.....  our server had an issue the other week and it had to be kick started!!!  Were hammering it at the moment so files are taking a while to convert!!  Could this be "tweaked" to make this quicker???  We've given the server more resources as outlined in the email the other day.... Could someone of that be used to help speed up the conversion of files???

@Tom

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ADT said:

Of course it is.....  our server had an issue the other week and it had to be kick started!!!  Were hammering it at the moment so files are taking a while to convert!!  Could this be "tweaked" to make this quicker???  We've given the server more resources as outlined in the email the other day.... Could someone of that be used to help speed up the conversion of files???

@Tom

Oh yeah, you have lots of files in the queue! I will see if I can kick it into going through them a bit quicker :)

26 minutes ago, pdurber said:

We host our Frog, do we not host the converter too?

You must have done something.....  some sites I tried to download from the Frogstore have finally downloaded!!  Have you given it some more resources??  Or just given it a kick?

18 hours ago, pdurber said:

Your converter queue is now empty, so all the files should have been converted. Let's see if that helps!

11 minutes ago, adamw said:

Your converter queue is now empty, so all the files should have been converted. Let's see if that helps!

But moving forward is there any way to stop this getting clogged??

3 minutes ago, ADT said:

But moving forward is there any way to stop this getting clogged??

We're working on upping the rate at which documents are sent for conversion - not sure on the timescales yet. Obviously we were not expecting a massive increase in such a short time in the numbers of files being converted!

I'm sure we'll get there :)

Also, I reckon your queue will be mostly cleared by the morning, but I will keep my eye on it.

• Thanks 1