Feedback on assignments

pconkie

We have a bit of an organic approach - which can at times be confusing for students. Given school closures and 'remote learning' it has become far more important that this is clear and easy to get.  Most of that is down to us as a school to get our guidance right, however, there may be things that could be changed/improved that would also help.

Currently our staff are using a mixture of:

1. The feedback application (which more people would use if it more reliably converted documents or allowed line breaks in comments) but when it does work the stickers are great and audio feedback is supported! Feedback in this way get's flagged in lots of places with the "Purple pen icon".
  2. The message wall on the assignment - this is good for two way dialog but could do with more space to type and a message delete button. It does  support line breaks in the messages! Feedback in this way get's flagged in some places with the "blue number icon".
  3. The comments box on the bottom of the assignment - when a comment is written in this box it doesn't get flagged (a real benefit of the first two). Staff need to tell students to look or students need to look in every assignment.

In addition I don't think we have pushed the assignments app enough (not since current assignments were introduced into the frog bar), so a lot of students fall at the first hurdle when trying to find their feedback.  The assignments calendar widget helps a bit with this, but it only has flags for feedback via #1 above.  The assignments app has flags for #1&2 above, but the tabbed layout (open, handed in, closed) - which really helps staff organise their assignments - again gets in the way of finding feedback for some students.

The ideal for me would be:

• something like the assignment calendar widget with a month view or list view
  • which flags all three methods of feedback above (or at the very least the first two to bring it in line with the assignments app)
  • has a filter that can be set to only show assignments with one or more of these types of feedback

Thoughts?

Also why is there sometimes no feedback button on uploaded documents with the purple pen icon?

Take this as an example...

Capture.PNG.90a7c11679ee86ca3c835a1ff3033327.PNG

Clicking on Trigonometry...

Capture.PNG.e2b8606b4fe5fbbda8d7790b87fb5e0d.PNG

Gives me feedback buttons to press, But clicking on 'First task'...

Capture.PNG.4aa147a6ace1911b0d6fe0ca1c828309.PNG

No feedback button. Student has to go into assignments app, find the assignment in hundreds of others in the 'handed in' tab and then they can press the feedback button!

• Like 1

Yeah ive been using Feedback for ages...  it can be a bit hitty missy.......  We've rushed showed staff how to use it..... and ive already had a few saying some files dont show...  others do!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We are really struggling with this at the moment and I am unsure on the best approach and how to advise our teachers. There is the added complication that people are seeing the 'Inbox' as where they expect to see the feedback (we haven't turned on the Messaging yet as feel we need more of a strategy around it).

I am not a teacher, so just wondered what is the easiest way to feedback from this perspective, but also concerned that they could do all this work only for students not to see the comment. 

Finally - probably being dumb here, but where are you finding the Assignment App to embed on to a page?

36 minutes ago, Sue Busher said:

We are really struggling with this at the moment and I am unsure on the best approach and how to advise our teachers. There is the added complication that people are seeing the 'Inbox' as where they expect to see the feedback (we haven't turned on the Messaging yet as feel we need more of a strategy around it).

I am not a teacher, so just wondered what is the easiest way to feedback from this perspective, but also concerned that they could do all this work only for students not to see the comment. 

Finally - probably being dumb here, but where are you finding the Assignment App to embed on to a page?

We are using a mixture of Frog Feedback marking - mainly for Year 12 - and then staff are doing whole year feedback using messages within assignments.

Sue - happy to show you this online if you want to see it?

• 2 weeks later...

As has always been the case. Everything is available to share (except not now with @ADT I expect @Graham Quince will now ban him from the forums so he can spend some time learning how to code)

The style widget is Graham’s and already available.

The advanced activity rules widget to anyone that wants it - note it doesn’t work with every theme.

To answer @gbligh question - activity review is a new app I made last week. At the moment it only does text activities and it needs some dashboard code to get it inserted into the markbook app which might put people off, but otherwise give it a go!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, adamw said:

You know, I never understood the prizes on that show - I mean, how did the contestants share a speedboat?

Or why would you need a speedboat if you were from Birmingham!!!  No water to be seen anywhere!!

1 hour ago, pconkie said:

As has always been the case. Everything is available to share (except not now with @ADT I expect @Graham Quince will now ban him from the forums so he can spend some time learning how to code)

The style widget is Graham’s and already available.

The advanced activity rules widget to anyone that wants it - note it doesn’t work with every theme.

To answer @gbligh question - activity review is a new app I made last week. At the moment it only does text activities and it needs some dashboard code to get it inserted into the markbook app which might put people off, but otherwise give it a go!

Hi @pconkie

Just to check, are you saying there is a widget I can grab?  And if so, what's it called?

Cheers,

Graham

51 minutes ago, Graham Quince said:

Hi @pconkie

Just to check, are you saying there is a widget I can grab?  And if so, what's it called?

Cheers,

Graham

It’s all in the video Graham.

Maybe you could give them to @ADT ................

once he’s made and shared one!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, pconkie said:

It’s all in the video Graham.

Maybe you could give them to @ADT ................

once he’s made and shared one!

I may not have made any.....  but i have inspired a few.... thats got to count right??? ?

37 minutes ago, Hardeep said:

why can't we give feedback on PPT file uploaded by the student

1.docx 58.21 kB · 1 download

Files that are not already picture/images need to be converted to images to work in the feedback app. This is not instant and files join a conversion queue. Try again tomorrow (or if your platform is like my platform in a few days). 

55 minutes ago, Hardeep said:

Thanks. 

No way we can upload a file on the feedback and give them feedback instantly 

I tend to open the actual file and use the assignment wall for feedback, sometimes almost like a commentary. This can be done instantly and students get email notifications when a member of staff puts a message on their assignment wall.

Consider using the Text Activity (if all you want from the students is a written response / essay ). For some reason I have found that the feedback button works instantly for this.

Edited by pconkie

Hi @Hardeep

Unfortunately you cannot send files back to students.  I have been working with a few schools to use ePortfolios as a way of working on longer tasks and for students to be able to ask further questions.  The schools have been using the assignment system to set tasks and then using the eportfolio for more in-depth back-and-forth.

If you would like I can set up a call and show you what I mean.

Graham