Sign in to follow this  
pconkie

Permissions change?

Question

We have some direct links to files that have been uploaded as site assets.  

e.g. we upload a word document and use a text widget to serve it via its link: https://froglearn.backwellschool.net/app/file/resource/15F2D9232003061952ADCF6034A2C9046E21F56CFF133428

In the past this has allowed us to quickly put lots of files up into a site.

Despite this working for years and despite users having the correct view permissions to the site they have been uploaded to, the links no longer work.  We get a you are not authorised to access this page message.  Is this a result of a recent change?  Many hours of work would be lost of we needed to re-upload these files individually into file link widgets.

7 answers to this question

I can confirm a service desk ticket has been created with Paul to investigate further. 

Thanks,

Tom

2 hours ago, pconkie said:

We have some direct links to files that have been uploaded as site assets.  

e.g. we upload a word document and use a text widget to serve it via its link: https://froglearn.backwellschool.net/app/file/resource/15F2D9232003061952ADCF6034A2C9046E21F56CFF133428

In the past this has allowed us to quickly put lots of files up into a site.

Despite this working for years and despite users having the correct view permissions to the site they have been uploaded to, the links no longer work.  We get a you are not authorised to access this page message.  Is this a result of a recent change?  Many hours of work would be lost of we needed to re-upload these files individually into file link widgets.

Nothing has changed as far as I know. Have you tried this with your admin account?

Do you not need to have the file extension on the end?

22 minutes ago, ADT said:

Do you not need to have the file extension on the end?

No I don't think so. That is the ID to a resource, and the system figures out how to serve the correct file back to you. I think this may need investigation, because I tried that link and it worked for me (I was however logged in as a superuser)

@Tom

9 minutes ago, adamw said:

No I don't think so. That is the ID to a resource, and the system figures out how to serve the correct file back to you. I think this may need investigation, because I tried that link and it worked for me (I was however logged in as a superuser)

@Tom

Ah so we aren't talking about linking to an asset on a site....  like a file in a file drop widget!!

https://vlevm.ga.newcastle.sch.uk/app/file/asset/CAE838DD200304CB6E857F9F7BBED20BE61721CCFEDCE4CF.pdf

35 minutes ago, ADT said:

Ah so we aren't talking about linking to an asset on a site....  like a file in a file drop widget!!

https://vlevm.ga.newcastle.sch.uk/app/file/asset/CAE838DD200304CB6E857F9F7BBED20BE61721CCFEDCE4CF.pdf

Yes, we are, but you shouldn't need the file extension. Try taking the extension off your example - it should still work!

@adamw I tried with my admin account and it still gave me the permission error.

29 minutes ago, pconkie said:

Yes, we are, but you shouldn't need the file extension. Try taking the extension off your example - it should still work!

@adamw I tried with my admin account and it still gave me the permission error.

Yep still works!!