Staff Development Site

THaines

Hi everyone

Our Headteacher would like to have an area on Frog whereby staff can record all their development documentations - lesson obs, targets etc. etc. We thought their personal dashboards could be useful for this but the Head wants to be able to see them too (and I don't really want to her to have full admin access on Frog) and there's no way that we can control their personal dashboards, as ideally we'd want them all to look the same.

I thought we could then create a site called something like 'Staff Development' and create a tab for each member of staff and use rules to hide it so that only the individual can view their own page, with their HoD and the Head can view everyone's. As this would be for all teaching staff, this could become quite a hefty site so I thought maybe creating a staff development site for each faculty but I'm not so sure.

What do you think? Is there anything else I could do? Has anyone done anything similar at their school? It's great that we want to use Frog for this sort of thing but it always seems quite awkward to try and set something up exactly as they want it.

Tom

22 minutes ago, THaines said:

Hi everyone

Our Headteacher would like to have an area on Frog whereby staff can record all their development documentations - lesson obs, targets etc. etc. We thought their personal dashboards could be useful for this but the Head wants to be able to see them too (and I don't really want to her to have full admin access on Frog) and there's no way that we can control their personal dashboards, as ideally we'd want them all to look the same.

I thought we could then create a site called something like 'Staff Development' and create a tab for each member of staff and use rules to hide it so that only the individual can view their own page, with their HoD and the Head can view everyone's. As this would be for all teaching staff, this could become quite a hefty site so I thought maybe creating a staff development site for each faculty but I'm not so sure.

What do you think? Is there anything else I could do? Has anyone done anything similar at their school? It's great that we want to use Frog for this sort of thing but it always seems quite awkward to try and set something up exactly as they want it.

Tom

On first glance.......  You cant hide/show a page based on an individual person!!!

OK....

Yep sound like a plan...  use a Department Based Site... so everyone in the department can see what's going off (HOD)...  but the Head has access to them all on a central menu!!

To me sounds like what I've been working on....  recreating Frog 3 Workspaces in Froglearn!!!!

2 hours ago, THaines said:

@ADT Yeah I suddenly thought of that...don't appear to be able to show/hide for individuals...damn it!!

We're almost there with Workspaces...  just waiting on a delete site button @Graham Quince @Edd @Chris.Smith....... well and the ability to hide pages by individual... and auto created a shared folder........................... But apart from that...........

Hi @THaines

Does this get you close? I would go down the route of one site per faculty.

Copy and paste this into a HTML widget on the first page of a faculty site. This page could be a "welcome" or "instructions" or "important info" etc page.

Change these lines - var HOD = and var HEAD = to what your values should be

<script>
    //How have we named the pages in this site?
    //used display name? e.g. Mr A Smith
    //var currentuser = FrogOS.getUser().displayname; 
    //used frog username? e.g. asmith
    var currentuser = FrogOS.getUser().username; 

//what usernames (or display names) are allowed to see everything?
    var HOD = "ahod";
    var HEAD = "ahead";

//if we are not HOD or HEAD then hide the pages
    var that = this;
    setTimeout(function(){
      if (currentuser !== HOD || currentuser !== HEAD) {
        that.elements.site.find("div[data-attr=site-menu] li").hide();
         //should we try moving to our page in the site?
        that.elements.site.find("div[data-attr=site-menu] li a[title="+currentuser+"]").trigger("click");
        //keep the instructions?
        that.elements.site.find("div[data-attr=site-menu] li:first").show();
        //show our own page too
        that.elements.site.find("div[data-attr=site-menu] li a[title="+currentuser+"]").parent().show();
      }
    }, 5);

</script>

Add a page for each member of staff in the faculty.  The names of the pages is going to be very important! You have a few choices, but I would probably go with usernames.

So imagine a site with the following pages (tabs) across the top:

1. Instructions (this is where our html widget is sitting)

2. asmith  (that's the username of the first member of staff in the department)

3. thaines (that's the username of the next member of staff in the department)

etc

etc

I've just thought the case is probably important, so put all the page titles in lower case for now.

Now share the site with the faculty and the Head (actually you could share it with all staff as unless they are this faculties HOD or the Head they should only see the instructions page anyway)

Use "open site in safe mode" if it all goes horribly wrong and you can't see any pages!

This method hides things only! As you have to share the site with all members of the faculty AND you want certain individual to see everything there is probably a way to get at colleagues pages (especially if the site ID was known). So if you need absolute confidentiality this isn't the way to go.

I haven't properly tested it, so let me know if you have any issues. 

Paul

• Like 2

Thanks @pconkie :) I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to html etc. but I'll have a play and see what I can do. There is an idea on the Ideas Portal so I'd be really grateful if you could all vote for it, as it's quite a basic thing that I think should have been added as part of the rules functionality! Link is https://ideas.frogcommunity.com/ideas/FRG-I-545.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone got any ideas of a simple way of hiding tabs within a site for certain users? Our SLT are adamant they want the Staff Development site up and running for September. At the moment, I'm going through and manually creating a group for each individual member of staff, adding that member of staff to the group and then going to the relevant tab within the site and applying the rule so that only that 'group' can see it. This is going to take aaaaaaaages but I can't see another way around it, until we're able to use rules for individual users rather than just groups.

Hi @THaines,

Why create groups for individuals?  If you need specific pages hidden except for a couple of individuals, why not create a group for a page, then as the individual is granted access, you just add them to that page's group.

For instance, if you have a SENCO page, create a group called SENCO, set the rule to only show to page to that group, then anyone who requires access just gets added to that group.

That's not to say expanding Rules to allow for individuals is not a good idea, but in the meantime, i think my method would be quicker for you.

Graham

Hi @Graham Quince

We have the pages set up so each member of staff has their own 'tab' on that page and the idea is that only that certain member of, pus their Head of Department, can see their tab. Basically we don't want staff seeing each other's tab therefore the only way I can see of doing this is by creating a group for each individual user?

Thanks

Tom

I'm looking forward to your new eportfolio maker @Graham Quince:)

what we've done for our individual student spaces is create a curriculum area (called Workspaces)

create a template which is tagged with the curriculum area and also a default group to share with (in our case area admins for those students)

then for each student create a site based on that template and share it with the student and any others that need access.

On the dashboard there is then a site list widget set to show all those sites tagged in that curriculum area that the logged in user has access to as well as being able to see them in the curriculum area in the Frog Drive.

It's worked well for us (especially after the introduction of the site list widget) but can be rather repetitive to set up many at once (thankfully we don't have huge numbers of students) - the ePortfolio maker will make things easier.

Hope that makes sense but it would save you having to have everyone on the same site with their own tab.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2017 at 15:44, Graham Quince said:

Hi Tom,

In the next release (mid-late October), we are launching ePortfolio Maker, which will create a site per user in a group.

Can you hang on for this?

SLT would like it up and running by 6th September when term starts so unfortunately not

On 7/20/2017 at 16:53, smackie2 said:

I'm looking forward to your new eportfolio maker @Graham Quince:)

what we've done for our individual student spaces is create a curriculum area (called Workspaces)

create a template which is tagged with the curriculum area and also a default group to share with (in our case area admins for those students)

then for each student create a site based on that template and share it with the student and any others that need access.

On the dashboard there is then a site list widget set to show all those sites tagged in that curriculum area that the logged in user has access to as well as being able to see them in the curriculum area in the Frog Drive.

It's worked well for us (especially after the introduction of the site list widget) but can be rather repetitive to set up many at once (thankfully we don't have huge numbers of students) - the ePortfolio maker will make things easier.

Hope that makes sense but it would save you having to have everyone on the same site with their own tab.

Hmm, interesting! Sounds like a good idea with the site list widget (which I always forget about!). I might give that a go and see how I get on. Am I right in thinking that users can only see the sites that are shared with them, in the site list widget?

Cool, I've managed to do this so far...looking good! Just need to go through each site and share it with the relevant people/line managers to ensure the right people see the right sites! Still a big job but not as 'faffy' as having to create a group for each person and then set up rules etc.

Capture.PNG

Hi Matt,

That's not something we've considered.  The eportfolios might well be multiple pages, so that would be a limited case.  We are looking at a widget that would list all the eportfolios you have access to, so at least you wouldn't have to make the links.

• Like 1