Tweaking Assignments

clangstaff

Following some feedback from teaching staff I have done some small tweaks to the code on the assignments page theme. Basically teachers have often displayed an assignment at the front of the classroom to show students what homework has been set for them however, students were unable to read the small text on the board.

Also as a school that is setting all homework to students via Frog we are not currently using the 'Mark' area of assignments I have also decided to strip this off of the assignment theme to keep it clean and tidy.

The code below was included on the student dashboard so it is loaded when they first access Frog and then applies to all assignments that are launched.

<style> 

/* Hiding mark area in assignment manager*/
  .date_completed, .overall_mark, .has_feedback {
    display:none;
}

/* assignment template tweaks*/
    .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-container .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-teacher {font-size:18px; font-weight:bold;}  /*enlarges teach info*/
    .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-container .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-issue {font-size:16px; padding:15px;}   /*enlarges issue date*/
    .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-container .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-due {font-size:16px; padding:15px;}   /*enlarges due date*/
    .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-container .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-complete {font-size:16px; padding:15px;}   /*enlarges assignment completed status*/
    .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-container .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-head p {font-size:16px;}   /*enlarges assignments instructions*/
    .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-container .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-release {display:none;}   /*Hides mark given section*/
</style>

homework-screenshot.png

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

How about this as well for adding that useful reminder!

.ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-container .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-foot {
  padding:10px 25px 0px 25px;
  font-family: "century gothic", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, "Gill Sans", "Gill Sans MT", "Myriad Pro", "DejaVu Sans Condensed";
  font-size:18px!important;
  font-weight:bold;
  line-height:30px;
  text-align:left;
  width:calc(100% - 50px);
} 
.ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-container .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-foot:before {
  content: "Remember to press the blue 'Complete Assignment' button (top of screen) once you have finished!";
}
.ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-container .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-wrapmain {
  min-height:120%;
}

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pconkie said:

It add this sentence to the bottom of every assignment....

Untitled.png.df8d59ebf644f0fee338355d6db48da7.png

Add it to a html widget and put a copy on the staff, student and parent dashboards....

That's what I figured... :D

When the assignment was taller than the screen height the message was not showing up so I've added a min height to the footer - see updated code below. I also changed the text to red to make it stand out a little.

I may do a little more work to include an image or something when I get a chance to make it jump out more.

.ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-container .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-foot {
  padding:10px 25px 0px 25px;
  font-family: "century gothic", Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, "Gill Sans", "Gill Sans MT", "Myriad Pro", "DejaVu Sans Condensed";
  font-size:18px!important;
        color:red;
  font-weight:bold;
  line-height:30px;
  text-align:left;
  width:calc(100% - 50px);
        min-height:100px;
} 
.ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-container .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-foot:before {
  content: "Remember to press the blue 'Complete Assignment' button (top of screen) once you have finished!";
}
.ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-container .ui-theme-assignmenttemplate-wrapmain {
  min-height:120%;
}

assignment-message.jpg

Edited by clangstaff
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, clangstaff said:

@ADT Are you testing this by logging in on a student account that is directed to the student dashboard when signing in?

I'm testing it using my dummy student account....  but also using real live kids!!!  There aren't many benefits of teaching full time and looking after Frog...  but this is one of them live subjects to experiment on!!!! xD

@ADT Ahh a benefit I do not have! A couple of other things that may affect this...

Just to confirm you've added the code in between <style></style> tags?

When students are accessing their assignments what are they clicking on - the route I have taken is by clicking Frog's own 'My Assignments' widget which has been added to the student dashboard. I know in the past we had issues with custom code that was added for displaying lists of student assignments on their dashboards.

49 minutes ago, clangstaff said:

@ADT Ahh a benefit I do not have! A couple of other things that may affect this...

Just to confirm you've added the code in between <style></style> tags?

When students are accessing their assignments what are they clicking on - the route I have taken is by clicking Frog's own 'My Assignments' widget which has been added to the student dashboard. I know in the past we had issues with custom code that was added for displaying lists of student assignments on their dashboards.

You say benefit................. O.o

Sorry I may come across as though I know nothing about coding...  I teach IT, although my strengths are making things look pretty...  games, animations, graphics and Hardware!!!  I tend to stay away from geeking programming!!!  I play dumb so Quincy will give in a do it for me!! ;) 

I've tried assessing via MyFrog...  Assignments...  Homework Calendar widget.................... punching it!!!! nothing works!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Graham Quince said:

Spotted the issue.  You were hiding the widget on the student dashboard.  Apparently this prevented it from loading.  For a while there, that didn't matter, but I guess we addressed that bug

Ahhh... so somewhere between me adding the HTML widget (ages ago)...  and now...  Frogs changed things!!!  O well at least it Fixed!!!  Thanks Quincy!!!