Emailing classes?

johnmorris01

Question

Hi

This is probably a really dozy question but something a couple of people have asked and I haven't been able to answer them definitively! We are a Froglearn/Frog 3 school and a number of our staff still like to use the Frogmail side of things to email their classes. Now, I'm planning on a full move to Froglearn over the summer but providing an easy replacement to this feature is eluding me. We have all of our students replicated within Google Apps for Education and we have the SSO enabled within Frog so we have all of the students with email access. However, I can't see any obvious way that staff will be able to email their classes though with just using Froglearn? Are we going to have to do manual CSV exports and find ways to create groups via the method on Google? Or have I just completed overlooked a method for staff to email entire classes within Froglearn?

Thanks in advance

John

11 answers to this question

email.html

Hi @johnmorris01

This little widget should do what you want....

Capture.PNG.0d3603c98fd29338722e85c107d9b168.PNG

Instructions for set up

1. create a new site and drag a html widget onto the page

2. copy and paste the attached code, then save the site.email.html

Instructions for use

1. Search for a class in the first box. Just type a few letters of the class name and a list to choose from should appear

2. Select a class and the member of that class will appear - all will be selected by default

3. Un-select any students you do not want to email by clicking on them

4, Press the "copy" button and the email address list will be copied to your clipboard.  A member of staff would then need to open a new gmail message and paste (or ctrl+p) the address list into the send to field.

If clipboard access is not supported by the browser, a box will appear containing the email address list.  This can be copied in the more conventional way and then pasted later.

Hope it helps!

Paul

Edited by pconkie

Hi John,

I don't think there's a single tutorial covering this, but it is possible to build up a couple of API calls to achieve what you're after.  i'll add this to my list of widgets to build.

If someone else wants to jump in before me, please feel free :D

• Like 1

John 

In the users app, if you select a student and look at their basic information is the email address show there the address you want to use?  If so, its probably do-able as would be to email all the teachers of a specific student.

I assume your using gmail?

Paul

21 hours ago, pconkie said:

John 

In the users app, if you select a student and look at their basic information is the email address show there the address you want to use?  If so, its probably do-able as would be to email all the teachers of a specific student.

I assume your using gmail?

Paul

@johnmorris01 If the emails aren't in there, I'd recommend you add the gmail email addresses to your MIS against the student accounts - to then be pulled into Frog by the extractor (rather than adding them directly to Frog). Only because if you try and do this via csv, the MIS import will just overwrite the email with whatever it already contains.

I can see the default @frog.com email addresses showing for the students via the Users app which is the address pulled from the Frog 3.0 side of things. Most of our students have their Gmail addresses set within SIMS so I'm assuming the switch to Froglearn will make those addresses become the visible address rather than the email address set inside Frog 3.0?

Hi John, I've just checked your FrogLearn platform and I can't see any users with @frog.com in their email address, the majority seem to have @gmail.com

If you're seeing ones with @frog.com could you PM me a screenshot, just so we can make sure there isn't anything odd going on?

Just to clarify - if anyone else wants to get the correct emails into FrogLearn and they have Frog 3 in the equation, you will need to update Frog 3's email addresses via a csv import. This will then be synced over into FrogLearn during the next sync!

I was just messing around with this finally and noticed something odd. If I have this within an HTML widget on a page, it seems to mess up the External Link widget for some reason. The widget options for the External Link widget are removed and if you click on an existing External Link widget on the page, it just resets that link back to default when you click off it. Any obvious reason why it seems to interfere with the External Link widget?