Parental Access

THaines

We're planning on launching parental access to Frog next week (eek!). This academic year we have got rid of school planners and are setting all homework on Frog and therefore felt it was rather fitting that parents should be able to access Frog to see what homework their child is being set.

The plan is for them to have very limited access (literally just a homepage, no person dash/timeline, no access to site drive etc.) and will just be able to see a few key documents, links to a couple of websites and our social media, some PSHE information and a 'My Child's Work' button.

I'm keen to know how other schools have gone about parental access, what they can access/what they can't access etc. but most of all would like to know how you've gone about physically giving parents their logins.

Any ideas/advice greatly received!

Tom

Our parents have access to the following:

- Department sites

- My Child's Work

- Frog Parent features including attendance, behaviour, SIMS Linked Docs etc.

- FrogSnap sites including sports day.

We managed to send out our username and passwords using SchoolComms and a mail merge via email.

• Like 1

We went with the decision to trial it with the parents from one year group first and then role it out with the rest once teething problems have been fixed.

The parents have access to:

Department pages

Attendance information pulled from SIMs

Behaviour information pulled from SIMs (not the description though)

My childs work

Parents attended a meeting and usernames and passwords were handed out then, the passwords were all the same and I set them to force change on next login so then they could change them to something they would hopefully remember.

• Like 1

We started released Frog to our Y9 parents last year (we're a high school)!!!  Luckily for me we use another system to give parents access to our SIMs data...  so once the accounts were created on that I just mapped the usernames and password to the corresponding accounts on Frog!!!

We use were on Frog 3 up until this September but we have currently launched a "hybrid" with staff with the idea of moving completely across by next Sept.... maybe...  if Frog can pull there finger our and give me what I want from Frog 3!!!!!!  :P

Parents have access to:

• Homework - its a school policy that all "meaningful" homework is set on Frog!!
  • Students Time table
  • Subject Advice - Some advice from departments about what things could be useful for that subject, specific resources, websites etc
  • Homework Setting Polices - Each subject have explained what there homework setting polices are so parents will hopefully stop complaining they aren't doing any
  • Access to information around E-safety
  • A link to Insight
  • And access to our termly Newsletter

And because the accounts site on Frog 3...  we can allow them to change there own password....  and if they have forgot there password they can automatically be emailed a reminder if they remember there username!!

Hi @clangstaff,

We are a FrogLearn only school, we had Frog3 running in the background but made the decision to switch it off. Very little had been done with Frog3 so we didn't need to worry about losing lots of pages. I created a CSV file and you can do select force change from that. I used a guide that @Edd created to help me with the parental roll out, it is very useful. You can do individual account changes using the USERS app and there is an option on there for force password change too.

Matt

FrogParent - Setup Guide.docx

• Like 1

17 hours ago, emoseley said:

We are also looking at launch Frog Parent this school year.  We do not have MIS integration her across the pond.  Any thoughts on the best method for creating the 6000+ accounts?  

Very carefully......... :P

@emoseley Although it does require some careful planning / thinking I would suggest creating just a single account per student - as your accounts are not imported you can specify the name on the account and have this as a generic parent for each student rather than using parents actual names.

Year on year you can then bulk upload all the new users to Frog the only careful thinking you will then need to do would be any family links, so if a student had a sibling also in the school you would want a single account including both students data.

• Like 1