Who has FrogPlay and what's the usage like?

Just wondering who has FrogPlay in their school and what is the usage like?

We've had FrogPlay some time now and have not done any real promotion of this. We have a few staff who set quizzes to students and the rest of the activity is just students accessing the software off their own backs.

FrogPlay has been used for a total of 221:14:55 hours so far this academic year I'd be interested to hear what anyone other schools are doing?

Had to look around to find this number, ours is 826:35:25 this year - we have a few departments who use it a lot, IT introduce it to year 7s and all years are encouraged to use it for revision interdependently. MFL use it for custom made quizzes, science have recently created their whole year assessment for y8 on it and are very pleased that the one quiz can be created and then set by all teachers to all classes and it self marks - saved their department hours and hours of work.

As for promotion there is an app link on both student and staff dashboards and play has also been a topic of T&L emails and frog drop ins which we run to showcase to staff what it is capable of. 

• Like 2

We have had FrogPlay for just over two years now.

we haven't ever done a huge launch with students, just offered it to departments to embed in their departmental sites, and made links to it available on a student hub page. Science and Maths have really seen the most success and command most of the usage so far.

See the screenshot below with our stats. This equates to 4200 quizzes this year, 54% completed by Y11 students. Our 'in school' figures are high because internal home work marking lessons are regularly followed by an opportunity to use FrogPlay to further embed their learning.

In the next few weeks we are launching a Y10 dedicated site and FrogPlay competetion to encourage revision before end of year mock exams. For this coming year we are going to be running a section of our rewards system to further incentivise FrogPlay use, and ultimately, embed learning retention. 

i was at a curriculum leader meeting this Tuesday giving a breakdown of Frog's usage stats and individual student success stories. One particular reference I made was to the Technology courses, where they have only a very basic department site (currently...) but students have spent just under 5 hours on FrogPlay for DT alone !

It's great.

IMG_0856.PNG

Edited by mobrien
Typo in hours for DT
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, clangstaff said:

Does anyone have any good tips for driving up the usage and getting students and staff involved?

Prize per term for the top student each year or form/house with the highest number of hours? It would be cool if Frog could also award a virtual prize too, like a trophy or exclusive outfit or something for the top students but I don't know if that would be possible.

For staff I push the Frog quizzes, saving them time, I also do a Frog drop in over lunch once per term where staff can come in and ask any questions and one was based around frog play and how to find frog quizzes and how to create their own quizzes. Also exam mode has been so useful lately for us, all KS3 science end of year tests have been done this way. 1 staff member made the quiz from old paper ones, this was then assigned by each teacher to their own classes- it saved them hours in marking, and they plan on using it all again next year so they can see the long term benefit already. They used an assigned site with text activities for part of Y9 to allow for more descriptive answers but they rest was all done through timed exam quizzes in lesson time. 

We also have some dummy users for staff so they can set quizzes to it and view it as a student would if they are unsure of anything, this has really helped some staff try things knowing it can't go wrong with a fake student account first. 

• Like 1

@Corinne thanks for that - out of interest what sort of prizes do you give out? I'm struggling to decide whether smaller more frequent prizes or less frequent larrger prizes would be better.

I agree it would be good if FrogPlay automatically congratulated students!

We don't, I just thought it could be a good idea to get usage up. 

I know many of our teachers/SEN dept. have 'treat boxes' with things like small stationary items, sweets, chocolates and things like that which could be used for more regular rewards. And rewards such as a 'skip queue' pass for lunch, gift vouchers and school shop credit are all things I have seen used  before too. 

I think larger less frequent would be better, if possible, mainly so they have a longer time to work towards the highest score/most minutes and the prize then can be something of a bit more value. Although if your starting from scratch more regular might work better at first to keep the interest up.

• Like 2