Wall Widget - remove posts?

MarkB

Question

Hi,

I use walls as a quick and easy way to get students to give and receive peer feedback.

The wall widget is embedded on a page. A copy of that page is assigned to a class.

When I open the assignment I see the posts but I don't get links to remove posts, as shown in the support video.

I don't have an immediate issue to sort,  but it is only a matter of time until someone posts something nasty.  How do I get rights to an assigned page?

(Is the answer similar to a related question - how can one edit an assigned page?  At present I can only do this by deleting an assignment,, fixing my typo and reassigning.  Obviously not ideal,  and disastrous if students have already submitted work on that assignment).

Thanks,

Mark

wall.png

6 answers to this question

OK so i created a test site...... 

Made a wall page and added a wall....

Shared the site with my test student account and gave them contribute access... 

I then created a second page called Ass and added a Frog Page widget and selected the wall page.

I assigned the ass page using the share option...  

Student see the one on the left...  from the wall page i can still see the delete button!! ?

image.png

Hi ADT,

The difference between what your demonstrated and what I'm doing is that I'm building lessons which will be assigned to multiple classes.

There are  activities in a lesson other than the feedback wall.

Assigning to a class works fine - the students can use the wall as intended and later submit their work on a file-drop. 

I'm building my entire curriculum like this: lots of work up-front, huge dividends across the department and into the future. Huge buy-in to Frog.

Problem is, as Connor has now informed me, a teacher loses 'edit rights' to the assigned page.  (I might not be using the correct Frog terminology here). Along with that loss comes also the inability to remove posts.  Like I suggested in my opening post.

I'm guessing that the solution to both issues should be that the teacher/assigner retains full rights over an assigned copy of a page/site. That doesn't sound too hard to achieve.

Thanks for your input,

Mark

1 hour ago, MarkB said:

Hi ADT,

The difference between what your demonstrated and what I'm doing is that I'm building lessons which will be assigned to multiple classes.

There are  activities in a lesson other than the feedback wall.

Assigning to a class works fine - the students can use the wall as intended and later submit their work on a file-drop. 

I'm building my entire curriculum like this: lots of work up-front, huge dividends across the department and into the future. Huge buy-in to Frog.

Problem is, as Connor has now informed me, a teacher loses 'edit rights' to the assigned page.  (I might not be using the correct Frog terminology here). Along with that loss comes also the inability to remove posts.  Like I suggested in my opening post.

I'm guessing that the solution to both issues should be that the teacher/assigner retains full rights over an assigned copy of a page/site. That doesn't sound too hard to achieve.

Thanks for your input,

Mark

Hi Mark...

We build sites which house all our lessons.....  with linked in PPT's and resources from OneDrive....  quizes...  file drops etc!!  Rather than assigning them we just share them to specific classes meaning you lose no rights....  and can change them whenever you want!

You could add multiple walls which you could hide based upon class......  Just trying to think of a quick way round the issue...   rather than waiting for the permanent fix! ?

38 minutes ago, ADT said:

We build sites which house all our lessons.....  with linked in PPT's and resources from OneDrive....  quizes...  file drops etc!!  Rather than assigning them we just share them to specific classes meaning you lose no rights....  and can change them whenever you want!

Hi,

That's how I used Frog3, except no file drops or quizzes: all work to be marked was set using separate assignments. 

Frog3 is so much better:  the hand-in is intrinsically part of the lesson and the students' hand-in assignment is created as soon as the lesson is assigned.

Surely if you just share a site, the students don't get the assignment and it doesn't appear in your markbook - or am I quite wrong? 

Thanks for your responses,

Mark

20 minutes ago, MarkB said:

Hi,

That's how I used Frog3, except no file drops or quizzes: all work to be marked was set using separate assignments. 

Frog3 is so much better:  the hand-in is intrinsically part of the lesson and the students' hand-in assignment is created as soon as the lesson is assigned.

Surely if you just share a site, the students don't get the assignment and it doesn't appear in your markbook - or am I quite wrong? 

Thanks for your responses,

Mark

You can assign specific pages...  so although the whole course/unit is on a specific site you might have "work pages" which you could assign as you go!! 

If @Graham Quince wasnt so busy no doubt he's offer to show you the new "courses" module they are building!! ?

• Haha 1