How do you use Frog differently in each subject?

Corinne

I have been asked to run a mini inset for our maths department, and their first question when asking if I could do it was "How does Frog help maths?" I was going to ask you this, but I thought it would be good to find out how people use it differently in each subject, what makes it special for that subject - for example our DT department began using Frog as a way to showcase practical work from previous years to give inspiration to younger students beginning the same project. Art use it to peer assess work with Frog snap, ICT use it for almost everything, drama showcase practical performance videos and peer assess.  

Are there any other ways in which it can be used in subjects to enhance that subject specifically? I struggled to think of a great deal with maths that couldn't be used in other subjects. 

Hi @Corinne

That sounds cool.  Hopefully it hasn't happened yet, otherwise this reply will be a bit useful.

I've seen some great examples from schools using Frog for Maths.   Firstly, there's the quizzes, which is a great time saver for teachers anyway, but I've heard of schools who assign out quizzes for the students to fill in along with a file drop.  The students complete the quiz, then use FrogSnap to submit their workings via the filedrop.  This way, the students' workings are recorded, but the teachers only need worry about (re)marking the incorrect questions.

Another example, this time from my old school, is their head of maths creates sites with colour-coded routes through the lesson.  Red, Blue, Green and Black (difficulty based).  The students are allowed to choose which activity router to do, while the teacher monitors their performance - too easy and they get switched up, too hard and they get dropped down.  The built-in differentiation works across any subject, but as Maths can be quite a resource-based subject, it has worked well for them.  Cramlington have take a lot of Ofsted flack this last year, but their latest inspection report singled out the Maths approach, I seem to remember.

• Like 1

No this isn't until November (very organised dept.). Thanks for those ideas I will pass them on, I like the colour coded routes, I don't know much about that maths dept. here but I will definitely suggest this to them. 

They have used photos before but I think this was mainly to get workings off the board so students could have access at home, doing this the other way round is a great idea too.

We have many different ways it is used in math and in other subjects.  I am a History teacher and I use it to present.  I use also use it to create the resources that they need to use for different activities.  It has become a way that I have blended the class and built the lessons so that students can be the primary movers in the classroom.  I love the idea of a color coded route, you could do the same with rules and groups.

Math wise, I am a big proponent of flipped classroom for the math class.  Frog could be a place where they can see the videos and show their understanding of the topic.  I wuld also use it to send them to outside sites and create a help station.  This could be a wall or forum where they could ask questions (I would love a chat box widget).  Overall it might save teachers a headache and create a more collaborative group and society.    

• Like 1

Our Maths dept. use Frog for flipped learning. They have a 'Maths Videos' site which contains lots of videos our Head of Maths has created and uploaded onto YouTube, showing students how to do certain things. These are then organised alphabetically on the site, with lots of different practice exam questions etc. 

• Like 1