Forgotten Password link

Pete Foulkes

Hi all

Does anyone else think it would be more beneficial if the message when a parent requests a password reset via the 'forgotten password' button could include a little more information?

image.png.000e8c61fdb80c133bb267d0c59a28dd.png

For example, if they enter their username, could it state the matching email address on the system so that if it's not their current email, they know to contact the school to get their email updated, rather than assuming the password reset link doesn't work?

And if they enter their email address, it can tell them if their email address was found rather than saying "if it was found"?

Thanks,

Pete

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete Foulkes said:

Hi all

Does anyone else think it would be more beneficial if the message when a parent requests a password reset via the 'forgotten password' button could include a little more information?

image.png.000e8c61fdb80c133bb267d0c59a28dd.png

For example, if they enter their username, could it state the matching email address on the system so that if it's not their current email, they know to contact the school to get their email updated, rather than assuming the password reset link doesn't work?

And if they enter their email address, it can tell them if their email address was found rather than saying "if it was found"?

Thanks,

Pete

I wasn't directly involved in this, but I imagine this is a security precaution (and quite a common one too). By showing the email address when a user puts their username in, you're potentially exposing that information to a malicious user. For example, if all your usernames follow a certain format, then someone could use that to get the email addresses of all your users, simply by guessing usernames. The same could be said for the other way around - if you know someone's email address then you can get the system to tell you their username.

By not revealing if the username / email was correct you are making it more difficult for a malicious user to gain unauthorized access to the platform.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, adamw said:

I wasn't directly involved in this, but I imagine this is a security precaution (and quite a common one too). By showing the email address when a user puts their username in, you're potentially exposing that information to a malicious user. For example, if all your usernames follow a certain format, then someone could use that to get the email addresses of all your users, simply by guessing usernames. The same could be said for the other way around - if you know someone's email address then you can get the system to tell you their username.

By not revealing if the username / email was correct you are making it more difficult for a malicious user to gain unauthorized access to the platform.

Ah makes sense. Didn't think about it from that perspective. Just trying to think of ways to make the process of getting login details to parents less painful for myself ? Many thanks for your reply.

• Like 1