Assigning work - convert to individuals?

MarkB

Hi,

One of my annoyances with work setting on FrogLearn (and I do a lot of that) is that an assignment is either open or closed.  If it is open, students don't see their marks. If it is closed, students can't submit. If a student, having seen her marks, asks to be allowed to resubmit, the task has to be reopened for all. A late submitter can't submit unless the task is reopened for all. (These limitations didn't exist in Frog3).

I'm wondering if the 'convert to individuals' option might overcome all these problems, i.e. allow me to close and release marks to all,, then reopen an assignment for an individual who is late, plus reassign work to any keen re-doers (or those I'm not happy with) individually.

Yet it is important that the results remain in the class markbook..

Is that what the button does?  Would hitting this button have any other implications?

I could experiment with my classes but is has been hard enough getting them used to FrogLearn, without unnecessarily rocking the boat....

Any comments?

Cheers,  Mark

PS.   LOVING most of FrogLearn!

Edited by MarkB
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@MarkB sorry for the slow response! 

Thanks for the suggestion, I think someone had already posted on another thread explaining why the Assignment mark release workflow was written the way it is (to stop students getting marks earlier, and then showing their peers what they need to do in order to get a better mark) however I see your point.

I think if we were to change the behaviour for releasing marks, I think tying it in with the 'Convert to Individuals' preference might be a bit confusing for most users. I will speak to my colleagues in the development team to see how else it could be handled.

Thanks for your response Matt.

I think I expressed myself poorly. I wasn't trying to make a suggestion.

I was wondering if that 'convert to individuals' button,.which I have not tried, might currently provide the functionality that I'm wishing for - i.e. allow me to release marks to individuals and to reopen the task for individuals, yet keep the students' marks in the class markbook.   Is that what the button does?  Would hitting this button have any other implications? 

Thanks.

@Matt

1 hour ago, MarkB said:

I was wondering if that 'convert to individuals' button,.which I have not tried, might currently provide the functionality that I'm wishing for - i.e. allow me to release marks to individuals and to reopen the task for individuals, yet keep the students' marks in the class markbook. 

Off the top of my head I can't quite remember, but this does sound right? Converting to individuals simply removes the group link and assigns the assignment to each student individually (if I remember correctly, please let me know if I'm wrong!) So this might have the effect you're after  @MarkB 

Not sure if someone in support might have come across this before @Jay ?

Hi @MarkB

Yes as @adamw has said I would suggest when assigning the assignment when you add the group, if you click "Convert to individuals" this should then allow you to reopen the assignment for each individual student rather than for the whole group of students.

If you have any issues or questions please let me know

Many Thanks

Jay 

• Like 1

Hi @MarkB sorry I didn't specify that this won't work with the existing assignment workflow - as the end result of assigning to a group, and assigning to the group but with 'Convert to individuals' is that in the Markbook they will all appear in one column (Assignment). So the controls you get in the Assignment popover will apply to all of the students regardless:

Here is an assignment I have created for a group, but with 'Convert to Individuals' selected:

image.png

And in the Markbook application (both the Markbook and Assignment List view) it is all in the same Assignment still

image.png

So in the Assignment Marking screen they are all under the same column:

image.png

With only one 'Close Assignment' button:

image.png

I have tested to see if it does indeed reopen the Assignment for all students when you do it this way, and it still does (including the notifications getting resent).

So to clarify, the 'Convert to individuals' idea will not achieve anything with the current assignment workflow. We would need to look at this as an RFC - but I would think a more elegant solution to allow you to close assignments and reopen them on an individual basis (without tying 'Convert to individuals' into the solution) would be better.

Would you be okay to log that on the ideas portal Mark?

Cheers

Matt 

• Thanks 1

Hi Mark,

If you go to https://www.frogcommunity.com/ideas-portal it includes a form that lets you sign up for the ideas portal, as well as a link at the top to the portal itself.

I can add the idea to the portal, however ideas always seems to get more attention/votes when raised by schools themselves - which I can understand :)

If you can log the idea, don't worry too much about the detail I've added above, more just the problem that needs resolving.

Give me a shout either way - I think it will be a popular suggestion!

Cheers

Matt

@MarkB just checking if you have seen the Assignment wall that exists which could help in the meantime?

This would be more for letting the student know what mark you intend to give them:

image.png

You can then click the 'Re-attempt' button to return the assignment:

image.png

The student will then see that they have a message:

image.png

image.png

And can then effectively see what score they would have got if the teacher hadn't given them another go (and are able to submit the updated version to hand in).

image.png

I know it's not exactly what you are after, but just making you aware of this potential workaround.

Cheers

Matt

• Thanks 1

Hi @Matt,

I am achieving much the same thing using the 'Add a comment' box.  It seems that students can read my comments even if I have not closed the task (and therefore released the marks). So, if I choose, I can leave a provisional mark here.

I'm really interested to note that a message icon appears on the student's My Frog drop-down and it would be good if their responses produced the same outcome on the teacher's  My Frog.  The dots that unread messages produce on marksheets for open tasks are quite easy to spot, but these are better. 

(Messages left from closed tasks are very easy to miss - how often does one revisit closed tasks?)

Thanks for your helpful suggestions,

Mark