How you could use the HotSpot!

K.Ermit

Now then....  did you notice anything different about this ribbit?

Following Adrian's post about ChatGPT, I used that AI to generate the article.   It was simple enough to paste in the text from the hotspot's video transcript, then I asked ChatGPT to summarise the the text into a paragraph and 5 bullet points.

This was the result:

The HotSpot Widget is a powerful tool that allows teachers to create interactive hotspots within their online content. These hotspots can be used to provide additional information, resources, or assessments, making learning more interactive and engaging for students. The widget is user-friendly and can be easily integrated into existing online content.
To use the HotSpot Widget, teachers can:

• Drag the widget onto a page and upload an image
  • Click and drag a box where they would like to place a hotspot
  • Add information, such as a title, image, audio file or video, formatted text, and links
  • Use the widget as an image menu by making it a direct link
  • Use the widget in presentation mode, mandating that all hotspots within the image are clicked on before proceeding.

As you can see its fairly generic in the text and we tidied it up a little for the published result.

While impressive, I'm also left concerned for education.  If a student has a homework to summarise key information, what's to stop them taking an AI shortcut? A bit like how the app PhotoMath offers step-by-step solutions to written equations.  Is this something you are concerned about or am I overthinking it?

I'm not overly concerned..... i mean at some point it will become a subscription service (which students wont pay) to use or it gets pulled all together!  I think we need to be teaching the student about it..... and how to use it rather than panicking and seeing it as a negative thing.

We were a bit concerned that a Yr 13 who has asked about ChatGPT in a previous lesson had used it to write his NEA, one min he didn't have anything done and next he had loads done!!!  We had a chat to him about it as and he admitted to using ChatGPT to help him with his code......  not to write it but to fix a bug he couldn't work out.  When we had a proper look through his code he clearly didn't get ChatGPT to write his code... it wasn't very efficient!!! 🤣😂🤣

In the real world if you are stuck you ask someone.....  or google it.  As a teacher when i have new lessons plans to make the first thing i do is try and find someone else's resources to tweak. We cant blame students for trying to cut corners but they should be shown its a really useful resource to support there work.... not to do it for them!!  Just like Wikipedia 🤣😂🤣

On a personal note i think its great.... I've just got it to help me create my Frayer Model PowerPoint sides..... I've asked it create topic tests... give me some examples of tasks to do with the students for some of the boring theory lessons........ but it wouldn't give me the lottery numbers for the weekend!!

Like all tools you have to be trained on how best to use it.....  hence the need to teach the students about it.... rather than panicking, blocking it at school, making it a bad thing to use etc!!

In the real world if you are stuck you ask someone.....  or google it.  As a teacher when i have new lessons plans to make the first thing i do is try and find someone else's resources to tweak. We cant blame students for trying to cut corners but they should be shown its a really useful resource to support there work.... not to do it for them!!  Just like Wikipedia 🤣😂🤣

On a personal note i think its great.... I've just got it to help me create my Frayer Model PowerPoint sides..... I've asked it create topic tests... give me some examples of tasks to do with the students for some of the boring theory lessons........ but it wouldn't give me the lottery numbers for the weekend!!

Like all tools you have to be trained on how best to use it.....  hence the need to teach the students about it.... rather than panicking, blocking it at school, making it a bad thing to use etc!!

I think those are some really valid points.  I've done some exams as an adult and the whole thing seemed absurd to me that I had to rely on memory when during the day job I would just open a search window.

And I completely agree about training students vs blocking.  I think what has surprised me the most is how quickly web service AI has gone viral and Adrian is saying he's already had an issue with a student.

Has anyone else got a story about ChatGPT or one of the image AIs i.e. Midjourney etc...

5 hours ago, Graham Quince said:

I think those are some really valid points.  I've done some exams as an adult and the whole thing seemed absurd to me that I had to rely on memory when during the day job I would just open a search window.

And I completely agree about training students vs blocking.  I think what has surprised me the most is how quickly web service AI has gone viral and Adrian is saying he's already had an issue with a student.

Has anyone else got a story about ChatGPT or one of the image AIs i.e. Midjourney etc...

By the way in that lads case he didn't do anything wrong...... he used a tool to help him fix an issue with his code!!!   He didn't get the tool to write his code for him! 😜