Media Widget - Autoplay

Sean_M

Hi Sean,

This is a great idea! However we are unable to answer this query via the Support section of the forums due to it being custom code.

I have moved this post to the coding section of our forums. Either one of our developers, or a code savvy individual can now see and respond to you with a more adequate answer.

Hope this helps for now!
Connor

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sean_M said:

Is there a bit of html I can add to a page to autoplay videos in the Media widget on page load?

Many thanks

Sean

Hi Sean,

Martyn from North Lakes asked about this a while ago, but the trouble is all the browsers (from May 2018)  block autoplay videos unless audio is muted ?*.  So if you want a silent video to autoplay this is still possible, otherwise you have to set an override in the browser's settings. :(

For example:

<video controls autoplay muted>
  <source src="movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">
  <source src="movie.ogg" type="video/ogg">
  Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video>

Here's the bit in Chrome you'll need to change, just paste this into your browser’s address bar

chrome://flags/#autoplay-policy

For Martyn, we got the videos playing for his digital signage, using the above workaround and the HTML widget.  If you want us to add this into the Media widget, the Ideas Portal is the best option for highlighting this to the Product Team.

* Which i understand as it’s about the browser companies clamping down on intrusive background ads on webpages. but it's still frustrating when you want to do it.

• Like 1

Thanks Graham.

I suspected a full html solution would be the only way (for now). Was hoping to make a nested page that could be put on a page with any video in the widget, for staff who don't know html could just drop it on not worrying about the code.

That's cool though, I definitely will use it for digital signage. 

• Like 1